Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hammonds_ns

Dog using dining room rug as her 'toilet'

hammonds_ns
14 years ago

Hi,

I am really frustrated by this which has just started happening recently-I have two dogs and neither of them would ever go to the bathroom in places they shouldn't but now one of them (soon to be 3 years old) has started using my dining room rug as a place to pee and poop. It started with peeing first and we didn't know this was happening until I assume the spot had been used several times and now established as a habit-now it has been followed by using the rug to poo as well.

We first had to identify which dog was the culprit and now we know since she was actually caught peeing on the rug last weekend. This same dog is currently being treated for a bladder infection - the second one - (she is a medical mystery to our vet and has other issues as well) - so I am not sure if her infection has caused her to now use the rug as her bathroom location or not but I would really like to reverse this habit somehow. We had the rug steam cleaned last weekend and prior to that I had soaked the areas she was using with vinegar etc. but she is still doing it - is there any tried and true ways to get her to stop this habit, any offensive smells I could put on the rug etc. to stop her-I am willing to try anything. Throwing away the rug isn't an option since it's my dining room rug and good money was paid for it etc. Thanks for your help!!

Comments (3)