Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ninapearl_gw

L-Glutamine for digestion??

Ninapearl
14 years ago

my male corgi has been presumptively diagnosed with degenerative myelopathy. i have had him on l-glutamine, at the suggestion of others fighting this disease, for several months. hopefully, it will help keep the muscles in his hind end from deteriorating as quickly.

i have been reading about l-glut online and i'm seeing where it is supposed to be good for dogs with sensitive digestive systems. i was completely unaware of this.

my senior great dane girl, 8 years old, has always had a sensitive tummy. i wonder...would this supplement help her digestion?

Comments (5)

• ladybugfruit
    14 years ago

Not sure about the l-glut, but my sharpei has a super sensitive tummy and we use a product called "fresh digest" , which is basically digestive enzymes. It seems to help her alot with digestion, gurgly tummy, gas and general upset. She can still have some reflux issues sometimes and I can give her a pepcid as well. Hope this is helpful. Sorry I can't contribute on the l-glut.

• Ninapearl
    Original Author
    14 years ago

thanks for your input. i have used probiotics (which, i think, is similar to what you describe) but i don't see much advantage with them.

i intend to ask my vet about the L-glut when i get a chance.

• petaloid
    14 years ago

It may be that the writer was trying to indicate that L-glutamine would be tolerated by dogs with sensitive stomachs, not that it would be used for the purpose of improving digestion.

• Ninapearl
    Original Author
    14 years ago

this is what i read...i'll put it in quotation marks...

"L-Glutamine is the most abundant amino acid in the body. Found in high concentration in the gastrointestinal tract, L-Glutamine is the preferred fuel for the cells lining the small intestine. Glutamine is critical in the functioning of the immune system, and also appears to be necessary for normal brain function and healthy digestion.

Some health issues, including injuries, surgery, infections, and prolonged stress, can reduce the body's glutamine levels, and in these cases, glutamine supplementation may be helpful. Glutamine may also be of benefit to pets with chronic viral conditions or irritable bowel issues."

my senior dane girl has a VERY sensitive system. i'm gonna consult my vet and see what he thinks.

• roobear
    14 years ago

L-glutamine is an amino acid that does as you describe above it basicly heals the intestinal lining from the little holes that are punctured from stress, bacteria etc. The tiny pinholes in the intestinal wall end up leaking toxins into the body and then you can get infections, illness, allergies etc. Some call it Leaky Gut Syndrome.

Probiotics are good flora, micro bacteria that exists in your gut that keep the bad bacteria in balance and aid in the process of digestion- they also can aid in allergies. When there is an imbalance you often end up with a candida or aka yeast infection. If you take probiotics you have to take them long term to see the benefits not just a few days.

Digestive enzymes help you to break down food for digestion.
    There are different types of enzymes depending on what your trying to break down sugar, fats, proteins and carbs. If your dog doesn't have enough enzymes to break down food then the digestive system becomes overstressed and result in nutrient malabsorption. Undigested food also results in higher bad bacteria growth as it sits in the intestines.

All of these supplements can help with digestive issues and work in different ways, the omega fatty acids are another supplement that can help.

I think you should talk with your vet about things you can try and then try them slowly and individually to see what helps and what doesn't. With most natural health aids they can work, but it often is slow to seeing a difference- so you have to take them for a while.

Quality of food, amount of food given, and how often can also play a big part in digestive health.