Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
just_imagine

Drooling

just_imagine
10 years ago

For the past two days my dog (a 7 month old schnauzer) has had EXTREME drooling. His beard stays wet, like he just had a drink of water, and wherever he sleeps, he leaves a wet spot behind where his mouth was. Other than this oddity he seems fine. Any one else ever had this kind of problem with their dog? We're going to the vet tomorrow.

Comments (7)

• Ninapearl
    10 years ago

well, i have great danes so drooling is just part of life. LOL

it could be a problem with a tooth or he could have an upset tummy. is he eating/drinking/peeing/pooping normally?

• just_imagine
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Ninapearl, thanks for your reply. Yes he seems to be "normal" in every other way. I'm thinking it might be tooth related too, as he seems to crave chewing on anything/something - but then he is still a puppy. He does have several retained puppy teeth that need to come out. Could they be the problem?

Also, he was seriously "play biting" with his cousin dog for a couple of hours on Sunday, and the drooling started later that day - not sure if there could be a connection to their biting each other or not..

• Ninapearl
    10 years ago

yes, retained puppy teeth could definitely be a problem. also, if there was any "bitey face" going on between the dogs, it's possible he could have gotten bit on a cheek or one of the other dog's teeth could have punctured a lip. i would check him for any wounds but i think that would be an unlikely cause. i would suspect the teeth, for sure.

• socks
    10 years ago

"cousin dog"--I love that! LOL!

• just_imagine
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Update - the vet could find nothing wrong with Gunnar's mouth or teeth (he did mention the retained puppy teeth would need to come out within the next month or two) and that he has a slight fever. He thinks maybe Gunnar has gotten into 'something' that's not agreeing with him so he put him on an antibiotic for 4 days...

Unfortunately, one should never Google 'symptoms and ailments' unless you're prepared to read answers that will make you think the worst...When I looked up 'excessive drooling in dogs' I found that young Schnauzer's are prone to a congenital condition called portosystemic shunts. Had a hard time reading through the details but came away with a sick feeling in my stomach. Hope my thinking is wrong...

• Ninapearl
    10 years ago

oh goodness!! yeah, never a good idea to google possibilities. hopefully, it's just a matter of him eating something nasty. i remember the first time one of my danes tried to catch a toad. he was a city dog and didn't have a clue. he got one taste of it, spit it out, and drooled gallons! he never did that again!

• just_imagine
    Original Author
    10 years ago

How funny, Nina. That was the first question the vet asked - had Gunnar been in contact with any toads or frogs recently!