Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
boots2_gw

Upset that neighbors dog has no shelter.

boots2
13 years ago

My neighbor has his dog chained outside. It is raining now and cold, 57 degrees. The dog gets tangled in his chain sometimes too and don't have water or food some of the time and I just really can't sleep for hurting so bad for the dog. He is a golden retriever, I think. I want to help it so much but am afraid of making the neighbor angry at me. I can't see why he would let it lay there in the cold steady rain all night. The nights will be getting colder and more rain, snow and ice for we live in Kentucky. I have to be careful with what I do. You never know what he might would do if he gets angry. Do you have any advice for me? I go several nights without sleep worried over the dog. Do you know how much this cold rain is affecting the dog with having to lay in it with no place to go? Maybe it is not hurting him as much as I think. It looks like his little body would be so cold and shaking. He is a young dog about one year or one and a half years old. I just don't know what to do about this situation.

Comments (30)

• svs128
    13 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Call your local SPCA or Animal Control Officer. I was able to adopt my dogs because they were taken from a man who kept them chained outside with no shelter, water or food.

• vicki7
    13 years ago

That is heartbreaking and cruel. Once I had a situation just like that, where my delivery job took me through lots of neighborhoods and subdivisions. A black lab was chained in the side yard of one house. He would wrap his chain around a nearby tree, unable to unwind it. His "house" was really just a broken box full of holes. Believe it or not this was in a very nice upper-middle class neighborhood. He was out there every time I went by. There seemed to never be anyone home.
    I called the county animal control and told them the situation. They asked me for my first name, and fearing retaliation I gave them a false name (I know I'm bad)
    It was maybe a week later, that doggie was no longer there. I never heard what happened, but I hope and pray he was given a new home with people who loved and cared for him.
    Few things infuriate me more than cruelty to any animal, especially dogs!

• Dtkaty
    13 years ago

How heartbreaking.It makes me ill to think about the thousands of dogs that live their lives shackled 24/7/365.

I found some info online about a group that has some suggestions about trying to help in a situation such as this one.
    That group appears to be a stellar organization.
    Unfortunately there is not a rep in KY - yet.

Good luck. I hope you're able to help this poor dog. Thank you for trying to help.

Here is a link that might be useful: Dogs Deserve Better

• petra_gw
    13 years ago

boots, you are a very good person to be concerned about that poor dog. I hope you will consider calling the ASPCA or animal control. The dog needs regular food and water which this creep is not providing. And he also needs appropriate shelter, not just a shed to crawl under. Check out the website I linked, a lady who got sick about dogs being chained started it and is trying to help as much as she can, all over the US. I noticed there aren't any representatives in Kentucky, but if you contact the organization, I am sure they can advice you what to do. If they can't help, please find other help for this poor dog. With cold weather coming, things will only get worse for him. And outdoor dogs need way more calories when it gets cold, he will starve in winter. That poor dog is lucky that you are concerned about him and willing to help, so many have no one to speak up for them.

Here is a link that might be useful: dogs deserve better

• petra_gw
    13 years ago

dtkaty, I didn't see your post and that you had already posted the link, sorry. :o)

• Dtkaty
    13 years ago

No worries - it's a good things people know about this group.
    The word needs to get out.
    Their site is awesome & extremely inspiring.

• boots2
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I really appreciate your emails back on this problem. It has helped me to have information from you on what to do to help this dog. I have even wanted to take a dog house to them and tell them it is a gift to their dog that I noticed it didn't have a house to get in out of the weather. I will check out the link, dogs deserve better, that you gave me. Your kind words back have helped my hurting heart for this sweet dog. I will keep trying to help him. Thank you so very much.

• Lily316
    13 years ago

You are a kind person to be concerned with this poor dog. When I look at my own dogs lying in their beds beside the heater on this cool rainy day, my heart cries for all those poor unfortunate ones who live chained out side. The group you got the link for is worth looking into. Call your animal control or HS . We have a similar group here in PA but I think they only work in this state.

• annzgw
    13 years ago

Are you within city limits? If not, call your local police or Sheriff, ask for animal control and explain the situation.
    If you're in the Louisville area, it's illegal for the dog to be chained more than an hour during the day. But, it appears chaining is allowed thru the night! See the link below.

Are you, or family, able to take the dog if the guy was willing to let it go? I'd plant a seed in the neighbor's mind by saying you'd love to have a dog like he has and if he ever wants to get rid of it to let you know. Be prepared to take the dog on short notice!

In Miss., ordinances in the area where my DM lives, do not require shelter.....just food and water. When you're dealing with laws like that getting help for an animal can be difficult!

Here is a link that might be useful: Ordinances

• calliope
    13 years ago

In Miss., ordinances in the area where my DM lives, do not require shelter.....just food and water. When you're dealing with laws like that getting help for an animal can be difficult!

Boy, isn't that the truth? My mother lived in town and those sights were rampant. She used to take food up the street to feed one of the poor animals where they'd leave its water dish to go dry.

You can check to see what your local ordinances are, and if these cruel people are in violation, you can report it. Ask about their anonymity policy, first if you are afraid of retributions.

• loagiehoagie
    13 years ago

I had to put my dog Duke down a month before his 14th birthday on monday and it was the hardest thing aside from losing my mother that I have ever had to go through. And as heartbroken as I am I have to stop and think about what a great life I gave my lab....inside the house, good food, plenty of water, treats, regular veterinary care and even a knee replacement in 2005 that cost $3,000. He slept in the bed until he got too old to jump up that high and then slept next to me in a warm and/or air conditioned house.

People that get dogs and then basically abandon them really P*SS me off! Why do they bother? Dogs are social creatures and one of God's greatest gifts to mankind. Treating a dog like that is like spitting in God's eye IMO.
    Anything you can do without retribution to help that dog is a great thing. Bless you.

Duane

• catt11
    13 years ago

You are a good person, Boots2. Like everyone else here, my heart goes out to these poor dogs and cats that are not treated right.

Like others have said, report this incident to Animal Control and if you are afraid of retaliation from this low-life neighbor, tell them you are afraid to give your name or give them a false name. (If you give a false name, call from another phone rather than yours.)

At any rate, I would surely do something to help that poor unfortunate dog. I have so little regard for that "low-life" who is so cruel to that poor dog.

• schoolhouse_gw
    13 years ago

boots2, I did that very thing once - bought a dog house for a needy dog. A fellow employee told me one day that the house next to her had a dog chained to the back porch. It had no shelter and the nights were beginning to turn cold. All it could do was reach the porch floor to lay down on. No, it was never let in the house day or night.

I told her I would go buy a dog house if she felt the neighbors wouldn't get ticked off. She suggested that she would tell the neighbor that "someone had a dog house to give away, and would you like it for your dog?". So, I bought this nice big dog house, handmade from an Amish carpenter, and took it to her house. I never saw anyone so happy she could help! (she had no money so couldn't pay for the house herself). Can't remember much about it now, except that the neighbor did accept the dog house.

• petra_gw
    13 years ago

boots, any update on the situation? I am so hoping you can help the poor dog.

• boots2
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi to you all, I've been very busy this week taking care of my dad and my husbands parents. Since I talked to you last, I watched as the dog went for at least 2 days with no water. The owner's would come home and I did see the man feed them but didn't bother to water them. The thing is he will feed them from time to time but he will go days and not feed or water them or even check on them. They went away for a week and that was terrible. The white dog went for days with no water and food. I wanted to go so bad but was afraid to go on someone else's property. Finally one day toward the end of the week a different man and woman came together to check on the dogs and feed and water them. The man was very angry and said "this dog is starved to death for water". My husband happened to be outside and could hear them. I was so thankful they came. Oh, I have been forgetting to tell you that he has another dog that he has had just as long as the white one. This one is a husky looking dog with the short gray hair with the milky blue eyes. It is a girl dog that will be having babies. He has a dog house for this dog but never bothers to have one for the other dog. After watching and not being able to stand it anymore, I gave up and while they were gone I took the dog water and gave them food. I worried until I just said if I get in trouble for it I will just tell them the truth that I couldn't just let them go like that when I could take them water and food. When they drive home in the evenings the dogs look so eagerly toward them barking and hoping they will come to them but they go inside and most of the time never come out to them. I found when I took water and food to them that the dog was not getting under the shed building at all. It only had a place beside it where it laid and there is no way possible for it to get under the building so it has been in the rain and cold weather all the time. There is a small rock wall around the side and I couldn't see the dog when he was laying there so that made me think he had gotten under the building. I was so upset when I saw he couldn't even get under the building. For the other dog they keep a washtub by her doghouse and evidently only let the rain make the water for it. It is under all these trees and when you can see in it the water is black as coal and he never cleans it and gives her fresh water. So, as usual, I worry and take my water hose and spray as far as I can to put some in the tub which is real hard. Only a little gets to it. We are a little higher up so we can see almost all the tub. There was very little water, if any, in it. I would have taken water to her tub but that dog acts like she might bite me so I was afraid but I have tried to put water in her tub with the water hose over the fence. I know it sounds awful that it looks like I'm just sticking my nose in someone else's business but I've never ever done things like that before. My husband and I have always never bothered anyone in our life and have always been really good neighbors. There is a lot to this situation. Back in the hottest part of the summer when the dog was more of a puppy I had to be gone for a few days and when I came back I saw the puppy had been torn to pieces and I have no idea what happened to him. He had cut places on his body torn so bad the hair was off its back hip and leg his front leg was completely broken into in the middle and the bottom half just hanging. You guys, I have cried over this dog. I saw the dog laying so much with no place to get in the shade and if he did have any water it was in a small food pan in the hot blazing sun. We was so busy here at our house that I didn't realize he was in such a terrible bad shape. When I found him like this then I gave him water in a pan that I pushed under the fence. His owner let him go so much even when he was so hurt. The owner caught me one day putting water under the fence to the dog. I was nice and told him I just noticed he had no water and the owner did not speak back to me. I was nice and told him I had to get back to my work. He still did not respond. Well, now the dogs hair has come back and all his wounds healed but the leg looks, at first glance, ok but if you watch when he walks on it the bottom part of the leg goes out just like a wrist will do and this is half his leg. It is still broken just healed that way and it hurts him especially with the cold weather and rain. He holds it up a lot.
    We do not live in city limits. We live close to Manchester, KY. Where we live most everyone knows each other. I don't know much about the people with the dogs. The only thing we can do is call the sheriff but if we do the neighbor will know who called even if we didn't give our name. I think we will have to build the dog a house and take to the man or maybe ask if we could buy the dog. I worry over his little leg. I know it must hurt him a lot. Well, we have been worried so with this for the whole year. I find myself not sleeping and going to look outside to see what the temperature is. Last night it got down to 35 degrees. I wonder what temperature is too cold for an outside dog that has no shelter at all. When the babies come we'll have a lot more to deal with.
    Well, anyway I've talked a lot and I'm glad you have been here to listen to me. I don't know how it will all turn out. I just wish a miracle could happen. We will do all we can though and in the end we may have to just call the sheriff, anyway. It is terrible that a neighbor can cause so much heartfelt pain by their actions. It should not be that way. My heart grieves for the white dog especially. For one he doesn't care if it has any water it seems. At least the other dog has the washtub with a little drop of black water. The white one has none a lot of the time. Two the white dog when it was a puppy almost died from whatever happened to it and now has a really damaged leg that probably should be taken off or something put on it to straighten it. Three he has a shelter for the husky and no place for the white dog.

• Lily316
    13 years ago

What kind of sadistic morons are these people? Get these dogs out of there even if you have to steal them when the owners are gone. Take them to a vet or shelter. It's your duty as a kind Samaritan. It's what any decent person would or should do and then prosecute these imbeciles. This is beyond horrible. I look at my two dogs sitting by the woodstove ready to go for their walk and think how lucky they are. They are rescues and these two dogs could be too. My one came from WVA. My dogs drink water many times a day. Steal these dogs and tell no one. Get them help. I know you are a nice person.

• petra_gw
    13 years ago

OMG, this makes me want to cry, I cannot believe anyone would mistreat animals like that. That man is not a human, he is lower than pond scum. Surely, there must be some laws in your state that animals are entitled to daily food and water, shelter, and that veterinary treatment must be provided if they are injured? Please, do something to help those poor dogs, that piece of **** owner does not even deserve a houseplant, let alone an animal.

• petra_gw
    13 years ago

Boots, I am not familiar with Kentucky and don't know if any of these places are close to you, but here is a list of animal rescues. I just copied and pasted the entire list, so there are some cat rescues and wildlife rescues included as well, which you can disregard. I am hoping someone will be able to remove those poor dogs from these horrible, horrible people.

Rescue Organizations and Sanctuaries in Kentucky

Alley Cat Advocates
    3044 Bardstown Rd.
    Louisville, KY 40205
    (502) 634-8777
    contactus@alleycatadvocates.org
    www.alleycatadvocates.org

All God’s Creatures Rescue
    Brownsville, KY 42210
    (270) 779-0445
    AGCRescue@aol.com
    www.bgkydogrescue.petfinder.com

Anderson Humane Society
    1410 Versailles Rd.
    Lawrenceburg, KY 40342
    (502) 839-8339
    ahs_40342@yahoo.com
    www.andersonhumane.org

The Animal Care Society
    12207 Westport Rd.
    Louisville, KY 40245
    (502) 426-6303
    info@animalcaresociety.org
    www.animalcaresociety.org

Animal Kingdom
    Lexington, KY
    (859) 230-9850
    TACF16@aol.com

Animal Refuge Center
    185 Basham Trail
    P.O. Box 400
    Vine Grove, KY 40175-0400
    (270) 877-6064
    animal_refugectr@hotmail.com
    www.animalrefugecenter.org

A Voice for Animals
    1765 Pleasant Hill Rd.
    Bowling Green, KY 42103
    mfarmer1636@aol.com
    www.foranimals.petfinder.org

Barktown Rescue
    Bardstown, Ky
    info@BarktownRescue.org
    www.BarktownRescue.org
    www.petfinder.com/shelters/KY321.html

Barren River Animal Welfare Association
    175 Trojan Trail
    P.O. Box 171
    Glasgow, KY 42141
    (270) 651-7297
    info@glasgowanimalshelter.org
    www.glasgowanimalshelter.org

BC's K9 Rescue
    202 Thornhill Estates Lane
    Irvington, KY 40146
    (270) 536-3077
    bcsk9rescue@gmail.com
    www.bcsk9.petfinder.com

Blair’s Equine Rescue
    7605 Cedar Grove Rd.
    Shepherdsville, KY 40165
    (502) 543-2956
    marcia@blairsrescue.org
    www.blairsrescue.org

Bluegrass Basset Rescue
    133 S. Sunset Circle
    Hopkinsville, KY 42240
    (270) 489-2478
    froggie0310@bellsouth.net
    bluegrassbassetresq@yahoo.com
    www.bluegrassbassetrescue.org

Bluegrass Boxer Rescue
    P.O. Box 21134
    Owensboro, KY 42304
    (270) 302-7920
    sandie@bluegrassboxerrescue.org
    www.bluegrassboxerrescue.org

Bluegrass Shih Tzu Rescue
    P.O. Box 910276
    Lexington, KY 40591
    ShihTzuRescueKY@aol.com
    www.bluegrassshihtzurescue.com

Bluegrass Wildlife Rescue
    P.O. Box 52
    Hustonville, KY 40437
    (606) 346-4480
    lorenadell4@hotmail.com

Bluegrass Working Terrier Assoc. Rescue
    75 Old Clifton Rd.
    Versailles, KY 40383
    (859) 873-8531
    jacksrbetter@earthlink.net
    www.bluegrassworkingterrier.com

Boone County Animal Care & Control
    5643 Idlewild Rd.
    Burlington, KY 41005
    (859) 586-5285
    bcas@boonecountyky.org
    www.boonecountyky.org/bcas/

Bowling Green-Warren County Humane Society
    1925 Old Louisville Rd.
    P.O. Box 1456
    Bowling Green, KY 42102
    (270) 783-9404
    LorriC143@aol.com
    www.bgwchs.petfinder.com

Boyd County Animal Control
    1025 Bob McCullough Dr.
    Ashland, KY 41101
    (606) 324-0745
    bcanimalshelter1@windstream.net
    www.boydcountyanimalshelter.org

Breckinridge County Animal Friends
    P.O. Box 301
    Harned, KY 40144
    (270) 756-0246
    kampars@bbtel.com

Broadbent Wildlife Sanctuary
    P.O. Box 387
    U.S. Hwy. 60 East
    Irvington, KY 40146
    (270) 547-4200
    info@broadbentwildlife.org
    www.broadbentwildlife.org

Buckeye Farm
    805 Lemon-Northcutt Rd.
    Dry Ridge, KY 41035
    (859) 428-3345
    buckeyefarm@hotmail.com
    buckeyefarmky.weebly.com

Camel Ranch Rescue
    Bowling Green, KY 42101
    (270) 843-4092
    IResQK9sNKy@aol.com

Campbell County Animal Shelter
    1989 Poplar Ridge Rd.
    Melbourne, KY 41059
    (859) 635-2819
    www.campsprings.com

Caring Hearts
    459 Bold Court
    Versailles, KY 40383
    (859) 873-8971
    fjewellham@yahoo.com

Carroll County Animal Support
    512 Windy Ridge
    Bedford, KY 41006
    (502) 732-6040
    tamisakita@aol.com
    www.petfinder.com/shelters/KY150.html

Casey Creek Horse Rescue & Adoption
    624 Wilson Creek Rd.
    Casey Creek, KY 42728
    (270) 789-4198
    desperado_55@yahoo.com

Central Kentucky Boxer Rescue
    P.O. Box 953
    Danville, KY 40422
    (859) 319-1531
    kelli@ckbr.org
    www.ckbr.org

Central KY Regional Humane Society, Inc &
    Garrard Humane Society C.A.R.E.S.
    308 West Maple Avenue, Lancaster, KY 40444
    (859) 979-2460
    garrardhumanesociety@gmail.com
    https://sites.google.com/site/garrardhumanesociety/

Central Kentucky Wildlife Rehabilitation
    Georgetown, KY
    (859) 983-4330
    Karen@kywildlife.org
    www.kywildlife.org

Christian County Animal Shelter
    2935 Russellville Rd.
    Hopkinsville, KY 42240
    (270) 887-4175
    ccas@mchsi.com
    www.christiancounty.com/animalshelter.asp

Christian County Humane Society
    P.O. Box 1233
    1229 Skyline Dr.
    Hopkinsville, KY 42240
    (270) 885-7014
    ama50@newwavecomm.net
    www.petfinder.com/shelters/KY62.html

Clinton County Humane Society
    Paige’s Crossroads for Life
    P.O. Box 672
    Albany, KY 42602
    kbcarroll42@tntech.edu
    www.paigescrossroads.webs.com

Creatures Great & Small
    P.O. Box 9173
    Paducah, KY 42002
    creaturesgands@hotmail.com
    www.helpthecreatures.com

Clark County Animal Shelter
    5000 Ironworks Rd.
    Winchester, KY 40391
    (859) 737-0053
    clarkanimal@bellsouth.net

Corgi Rescue & Adoption
    231 Sayersville Rd.
    Warsaw, KY 41095
    (859) 643-0321
    ebain@cainpro.com

Dachshund Rescue of North America
    Louisville, KY
    (502) 326-5199
    queenrhonda@insightbb.com
    www.drna.org

Danville-Boyle Co. Humane Society
    777 N. Danville Bypass
    Danville, KY 40423
    (859) 238-1117
    dbchs@bellsouth.net
    www.homes4pets.org

Daviess County Animal Shelter
    2620 Highway 81
    Owensboro, KY 42301
    (270) 685-8275
    AnimalControl@DaviessKy.org
    www.petfinder.com/shelters/KY167.html

Dewey Dam Dog & Cat Protection Society
    P.O. Box 1502
    Prestonsburg, KY 41653
    (606) 886-3189
    bonjohnf@bigsandybb.com

Dreamland Animal Rescue
    P.O. Box 249
    Ermine, KY 41815
    (606) 633-0050
    steph@dreamlandrescue.org
    www.dreamlandrescue.org

Dumas German Shepherd Rescue
    P.O. Box 2503
    Paintsville, KY 41240
    dumasgsdrescue@yahoo.com
    www.dumas.petfinder.com

East Kentucky Rescue
    289 Scalf Dr.
    Stanville, KY 41659
    (606) 478-4400
    dscalf@mikrotec.com

Edmonson County Animal Control
    188 Sanders Rd.
    Bee Spring, KY 42207
    (270) 286-6096
    www.petfinder.com/shelters/KY243.html

Elliott Wildlife Rehab
    567 Crabb Acres Drive
    Smithfield, KY 40068
    (502) 845-5360
    brigadoon4ever@hotmail.com

English Springer Rescue America Inc. of Kentucky
    Lexington, KY
    (502) 649-9034
    kyesra@bellsouth.net
    www.springerrescue.org

The Ferret Haven
    Louisville, KY
    (502) 439-0923
    ferretmomjc@yahoo.com
    www.theferrethaven.org

The Fix Foundation
    P.O. Box 181
    Franklin, KY 42135
    (270) 776-2507
    thefixfoundation@gmail.com
    www.thefixfoundation.com

Franklin County Humane Society
    1041 Kentucky Ave.
    Frankfort, KY 40601
    (502) 875-7297
    Todd.moore@excite.com

Friends of the Shelter
    P.O. Box 910
    Franklin, KY 42135
    (270) 776-2507
    ysettle@yahoo.com
    www.foss.petfinder.com

Gallatin Area Greyhound Adoption
    231 Sayersville Rd.
    Warsaw, KY 41095
    (859) 643-0321
    ebain@cainpro.com

Golden Retriever Rescue and Adoption of Needy Dogs (Grrand)
    P.O. Box 6132
    Louisville, KY 40206-0132
    (866) 981-2251
    info@grrand.org
    www.grrand.org

Grayson County Humane Society
    213 William Thomason Byway
    Leitchfield, KY 42754
    (270) 230-8839
    dwhite@aggressiveonline.net
    www.graysoncountyhumanesociety.petfinder.org

Greyhound Pets of America�"Louisville Chapter
    P.O. Box 72237
    Louisville, KY 40272-0237
    (502) 995-3767
    GPA@GPALouisville.org
    www.GPALouisville.org

Hal’s Haven Inc.
    2108 Wells Landing Rd.
    Danville, KY 40422
    (859) 319-2056
    lhudman@mis.net
    www.petfinder.com/shelters/halshaven.html

Hancock County Animal Rescue
    515 Park Rd.
    Hawesville, KY 42348
    (270) 927-8022
    lisamcc@bellsouth.net
    www.petfinder.com/shelters/KY58.html

Happy Hounds Mountainside Rescue
    Georgetown, KY
    lori_r15@yahoo.com
    http://www.happyhoundsmountainsiderescue.org

Hardin County Animal Control
    116 Nicholas St.
    Elizabethtown, KY 42701
    (270) 769-3428
    adoption.hcac@hcky.org

Harlan County Shelter
    394 Hwy. 840
    Baxter, KY 40806
    (606) 573-8867
    harlanshelter@gmail.com

The Haven for Dogs
    P.O. Box 22505
    Lexington, KY 40522-2505
    (859) 887-8733
    www.havenfordogs.org

Heart of Kentucky Sheltie Rescue
    Winchester, KY
    (859) 514-5172
    heartofky@hotmail.com
    www.karashome.com

Henderson Animal Shelter
    203 Drury Lane
    Henderson, KY 42420
    (270) 826-8966

Hilltop Haven Animal Rescue/Halfway House
    Cox’s Creek, KY
    (502) 468-5969
    hilltophavnres@aol.com
    www.hilltophavenanimalrescue.com

Holly’s Place
    P.O. Box 455
    Lawrenceburg, KY 40342
    (502) 859-5342
    info@hollys.org
    www.hollys.org

Home At Last Animal Sanctuary
    P.O. Box 144
    Salvisa, KY 40372
    (502) 839-1974
    cats@homeatlastanimals.org
    halrescue@aol.com
    www.homeatlastanimals.org

Hope for Pets
    218 Red Cardinal Drive
    Mt. Washington, KY 40047
    (502) 955-3586
    KathyRice@hopeforpets.org
    www.hopeforpets.org

The Humane Association of Northern Kentucky Shelters
    Florence, KY 41042-9541
    (859) 371-9812
    SDanielDJ@aol.com

Humane Society, Animal League for Life of Madison County
    P.O. Box 2094
    Richmond, KY 40476
    (859) 626-5600
    info@humanesocietyall.com
    www.humanesocietyall.com

Humane Society of Calloway County
    607 Poplar Street, Suite A1
    P. O. Box 764
    Murray, KY 42071
    (270) 759-1884
    humanesociety@murray-ky.net
    www.forthepets.org

Humane Society of Gallatin County
    P.O. Box 48
    Glencoe, KY 41046
    (859) 567-5590
    r2d24@earthlink.net
    www.petfinder.com/shelters/KY134/html

Humane Society of Harrison County
    608 Hicks Pike
    Cynthiana, KY 41031
    (859) 234-1222
    jennifermckemie@aol.com

Humane Society of Henderson County
    203 Drury Lane
    Henderson, KY 42420
    (270) 826-8966
    jacquiec@hendersonhumaneky.com

Humane Society of Marshall County
    6301 U.S. Hwy. 68E
    Benton, KY 42025
    (270) 354-8738
    hsmc@wk.net
    www.marshallcounty.petfinder.com

Humane Society of Nelson County
    2391 New Haven Rd.
    Bardstown, KY 40004
    (502) 349-2082
    hsncpets@bardstown.com
    www.ncanimalservices.org

Internet Miniature Pinscher Service
    Minpinhelp@gmail.com
    juliana.noe@insightbb.com
    www.minpinrescue.org

Jack’s Place
    P.O. Box 5
    White Plains, KY 42464
    (270) 399-3013
    jacksplace@bellsouth.net

Jessamine County S.A.V.E. Center
    400-1/2 Park Dr.
    Nicholasville, KY 40356
    (859) 881-0821
    jessaminecountySAVEcenter@yahoo.com
    www.jessaminecountysavecenter.com

Kenton County Animal Shelter
    1020 Mary Laidley Dr.
    Ft. Mitchell, KY 41017
    (859) 356-7400
    dan.evans@kentoncounty.org
    www.kentoncounty.org

Kentuckiana Pug Rescue
    P.O. Box 22697
    Louisville, KY 40252-0697
    (877) 784-7988
    contactkprpugs@yahoo.com
    www.kentuckianapugs.com

Kentucky Boston Terrier Rescue
    P.O. Box 433
    Drakesboro, KY 42337
    (270) 476-8891
    KYBTRESQ@aol.com

Kentucky Equine Humane Center
    P.O. Box 910124
    Lexington, KY 40591
    (859) 881-5849
    info@KyEHC.org
    www.kyehc.org

Kentucky Humane Society
    241 Steedly Dr.
    Louisville, KY 40214
    (502) 366-3355
    info@kyhumane.org
    www.kyhumane.org

Kentucky Humane Society S.N.I.P. Clinic
    2445 Crittenden Dr.
    Louisville, KY 40217
    (502) 636-3491
    snipoffice@kyhumane.org
    www.kyhumane.org

Kentucky Russell Rescue
    Louisville, KY
    kyrussellrescue@aol.com

Kickapoo Valley Animal Rescue & Refuge
    310 Dishman Rd.
    Canmer, KY 42722
    (270) 528-8555
    tlparker@scrtc.com

Lake Cumberland Animal Welfare League
    P.O. Box 33
    Jamestown, KY 42627
    (270) 250-7171
    luvnmutts@yahoo.com

Lawrence County Humane Society
    Isaac Rd., Route 3395
    Louisa, KY 41230
    (606) 673-4509
    lchshelter@hotmail.com
    www.lawrencecokyanimalshelter.com

Lexington Humane Society
    1600 Old Frankfort Pike
    Lexington, KY 40504
    (859) 233-0044
    lhsinfo@lexingtonhumanesociety.org
    www.lexingtonhumanesociety.org

Lifebridge for Animals
    P.O. Box 1346
    Shelbyville, KY 40066
    (502) 633-4959
    peteduky@bellsouth.net
    www.peteducationky.org

Life For Pets
    P.O. Box 4304
    Winchester, KY 40391
    (859) 737-5600
    lifeforpets@gmail.com
    www.petfinder.com/shelters/KY46.html

L.I.F.E. House for Animals
    P.O. Box 1365
    Frankfort, KY 40602-1365
    (502) 875-FIDO (3436)
    Mindy@lifehouse4animals.org
    www.lifehouse4animals.org

Lisa’s Lil Buddies
    Berea, KY
    lisawehrle2002@yahoo.com

Little Hearts Ferret Rescue
    1460 Huron Way
    Bowling Green, Ky 42101
    (270) 784-3268
    adoptions@littleheartsferretrescue.com
    www.littleheartsferretrescue.com

Logan County Humane Society
    550 Sportsman Club Rd.
    P.O. Box 1001
    Russellville, KY 42276
    (270) 726-2186
    lcas2@bellsouth.net
    www.logancountyhumanesociety.com

Lost But Loved Animal Rescue
    P.O. Box 929
    Murray, KY 42071
    (931) 572-7007
    lblrescue@hotmail.com
    www.lblrescue.com

Louisville Metro Animal Services
    3705 Manslick Rd.
    Louisville, KY 40215
    (502) 361-1318
    animals@louisvilleky.gov
    www.louisvilleky.gov/AnimalServices/

Louisville Schnauzer Rescue
    P.O. Box 20605
    Louisville, KY 40250
    schnauzercloud1@louisvilleschnauzerrescue.com
    www.louisvilleschnauzerrescue.com

Maine Coon Rescue
    304 First Ave. W.
    Franklin, KY 42134
    rescue@mainecoonrescue.net

Marion County Animal Shelter
    1105 Highway 208
    Lebanon, KY 40033
    (270) 692-0464
    mcas@alltel.net
    www.freewebs.com/marioncountyanimalshelter

Mayfield/Graves County Animal Shelter
    500 N. 12th St.
    Mayfield, KY 42066
    (270) 251-0130
    mayfieldshelter@bellsouth.net
    www.mayfieldgravescounty.petfinder.com

McLean County Animal Control
    1508 Hwy. 136 E.
    Calhoun, KY 42327
    (270) 499-2556
    rescuemcac@yahoo.com
    www.petfinder.com/shelters/KY212.html

Meade County Animal Shelter
    P.O. Box 522
    Brandenburg, KY 40108
    (270) 422-3838

Menifee County Animal Shelter
    P.O. Box 75
    Frenchburg, KY 40322
    606 768-9368
    menifeeshelter@gmail.com
    www.menifeeshelter.com

Mercer Humane Society
    132 N. Main St.
    Harrodsburg, KY 40330
    (859) 734-9500
    mercerhumane@hotmail.com

Montgomery County Humane Society
    P.O. Box 123
    Mt. Sterling, KY 40353
    (859) 498-5821
    mchumanesociety@bellsouth.net
    www.petfinder.com/shelters/KY85.html

Mountain View Rescue
    P.O. Box 1542
    Columbia, KY 42728
    mountainviewrescue@yahoo.com
    www.mountainviewrescue.com
    www.myspace.com/mountainviewrescue

Muhlenberg County Humane Society
    615 Dean Rd.
    P.O. Box 164
    Greenville, KY 42345
    (270) 338-6940
    mchs01@bellsouth.net

Murray-Calloway County Animal Shelter
    81 Shelter Lane
    Murray, KY 42071
    (270) 759-4141
    animalshelter@murray-ky.net

National Brittany Rescue and Adoption Network
    (317) 496-6815
    mcwhdeb@aol.com
    www.NBRAN.org

New Beginnings
    108 Blue Heron Way
    Elizabethtown, KY 42701
    (270) 737-1772
    etown@heartlandveterinary.com
    www.petfinder.com/shelters/KY228.html

Ohio County Animal Shelter
    1582 Country Club Lane
    Hartford, KY 42347
    (270) 298-4499
    4ocanimals@ohiocounty.net
    www.ockyanimals.petfinder.com

Old Friends Thoroughbred Retirement
    1841 Paynes Depot Rd.
    Georgetown, KY 40324
    (502) 863-1775
    contact@oldfriendsequine.com
    www.oldfriendsequine.org

Oldham County Animal Shelter
    3946 Jones Dr.
    LaGrange, KY 40031
    (502) 222-7387
    brosenman@oldhamcounty.net

Our Mims Retirement Haven
    2810 Millersburg Ruddles Mill Rd.
    Paris, KY 40361
    (859) 484-9582
    jeanne@ourmims.com
    www.ourmims.org

Owensboro Humane Society
    3101 W. 2nd Street
    Owensboro, Kentucky 42301
    (270) 302-6813

P.A.W.S. Animal Shelter
    6 Legion Dr.
    P.O. Box 222
    Paris, KY 40362
    (859) 988-9800
    PAWSinKY@aol.com
    www.pawspets.org

Paws, Claws & More Animal Rescue & Transport
    P.O. Box 551
    Mayfield, KY 42066
    pawsclawsrescue@comcast.net
    www.pawsclawsrescue.org

Pay It Forward Animal Welfare Network
    Henderson, KY
    (270) 724-0614
    pifanimal@yahoo.com
    www.pifanimalwelfare.com

Pendleton County Animal Shelter
    1314 Brian Griffin Rd.
    Falmouth, KY 41040
    (859) 472-5400
    pcanimalshelter@yahoo.com

The Pet Castle
    P.O. Box 6684
    Florence, KY 41022
    (859) 371-5432
    kittensandpuppies@fuse.net
    www.nkychristiananimalrescue.com

Pet Connections
    1199 Hwy. 330
    Falmouth, KY 41010
    (859) 466-3719
    pendletonrescue@yahoo.com

Pike County Animal Shelter
    228 Pound Puppy Dr.
    Pikeville, KY 41501
    (606) 432-6293
    pcas2006@yahoo.com

Primate Rescue Center Inc.
    2515 Bethel Rd.
    Nicholasville, KY 40356
    (859) 858-4866
    admin101@primaterescue.org
    www.primate-rescue.org

Pulaski County Animal Shelter
    Adopt Me Lane
    Somerset, KY 42501
    (606) 679-6432
    www.pcanimalshelter.com

Pulaski County Humane Society
    P.O. Box 448
    Somerset, KY 42502
    (606) 451-2367
    info@bhumane.org
    www.bhumane.org

Rainhill Equine Facility
    11125 Ky. Highway 185
    Bowling Green, KY 42101
    (270) 777-3164
    karen.thurman@wku.edu
    www.rainhillrescue.com

Raptor Rehab of Kentucky
    P.O. Box 18002
    Louisville, KY 40261
    (502) 491-1939
    raptors@aye.net
    www.raptorrehab.org

Rays of Hope Inc.
    Cat Sanctuary
    P.O. Box 114
    Eubank, KY 42567
    raysofhope@peoplepc.com
    http://raysofhope.ds4a.com

Real Dog RsQ Inc.
    P.O. Box 163
    Munfordville, KY 42765
    realdogrsq2@yahoo.com
    www.rdr2.petfinder.com

ReRun Thoroughbred Adoption Program
    1838 Lower Jackstown Rd.
    Carlisle, KY 40311
    (859) 704-0570
    theunbelieveable@att.net
    www.rerun.org

Roby Animal Sanctuary & Cat Rescue
    P.O. Box 355
    Owensboro, KY 42302
    (270) 222-0056
    (270) 993-4441
    eemmybug@yahoo.com

ROSAS�"Rescue Our Shelter Animals & Strays
    P.O. Box 99
    Alexandria, KY 41001
    (859) 694-7672
    rosasrescue@yahoo.com
    www.rosas.rescuegroups.org

Sadie’s Animal Rescue & Adoption
    P.O. Box 112
    Perryville, KY 40468
    ncrediblejourney@bellsouth.net
    www.sadierescue.org

Safe Harboar Shelter
    411 Woods Rd.
    Knob Lick, KY 42154
    (270) 646-6568
    j6196@scrtc.com
    www.safeharboarfarm.com

STAR, Saving the Animals of Rowan Inc.
    Morehead, KY 40351
    staradoptions@yahoo.com
    www.petfinder.com/shelters/KY251.html

Scott County Animal Shelter
    1185 Cardinal Dr.
    Georgetown, KY 40324
    (502) 863-7897
    scottcoanimalsh@aol.com

Scott County Humane Society
    P.O. Box 821
    Georgetown, KY 40324
    (502) 863-3279
    dsaager@bellsouth.net
    www.sc4paws.org

Second Stride
    P.O. Box 1483
    Crestwood, KY 40014
    (502) 228-7085
    secondstride@insightbb.com
    www.secondstride.org

Shamrock Foundation
    P.O. Box 99811
    Louisville, KY 40269
    (502) 585-3220
    questions@greyhoundsofshamrock.org
    www.shamrockpets.com

Shamrock Greyhound Placement
    P.O. Box 991216
    Louisville, KY 40269
    (502) 241-3140
    www.greyhoundsofshamrock.org

Shelby County Animal Shelter
    266 Kentucky Street
    Shelbyville, KY 40065
    (502) 633-0009
    animal.adopt@shelbycountykentucky.com

Shelby County Humane Society
    40 N. 7th St.
    Shelbyville, KY 40065
    (502) 633-4033
    shelbysociety@insightbb.com
    www.shelbycohumanesociety.com

SOAR
    Speak Out And Rescue
    P.O. Box 904
    Georgetown, KY 40324
    (859) 621-0079
    tracy@speakoutandrescue.org
    www.speakoutandrescue.org

Speak Up for Horses
    P.O. Box 434
    Falmouth, KY 41040
    (859) 445-7766
    info@speakupforhorses.org
    www.speakupforhorses.org

Stray Animal Adoption Program
    P.O. Box 72040
    Newport, KY 41072
    (859) 391-1234
    saap@fuse.net
    www.adoptastray.com

Tiny Paws of Kentucky
    161 Kristal Springs Dr.
    Shepherdsville, KY 40165
    (502) 762-6079
    tinypawsofkentucky@gmail.com
    http://tinypawsofkentucky.petfinder.org/
    T.R.A.I.N. (Transporting & Rescuing Animals in Need)
    Paintsville, KY 41240
    (606) 424-7082
    corvetteluver01@yahoo.com
    www.trainforpets.com

The Trixie Foundation
    P.O. Box 1
    Webbville, KY 41180
    (606) 738-4276
    sanctuary@thetrixiefoundation.org
    www.thetrixiefoundation.org

True Heart MinPin Rescue Inc.
    P.O. Box 1686
    Richmond, KY 40475
    (859) 625-4859
    TrueHeartMinPin@aol.com
    www.trueheartminpinrescue.org

United Rescues of KY Inc. (UR_KY)
    1555 E. New Circle Rd., Suite 142-220
    Lexington, KY 40509
    unitedrescuesky@aol.com
    www.urky.org

U.S. Equine Rescue League
    P.O. Box 43273
    Louisville, KY 40253
    (800) 650-8549
    userlkentucky@yahoo.com
    www.userlky.org

Wags and Whiskers Rescue
    Taylor Mill, KY 41015
    (859) 363-0388
    Wilson.animal.rescue@fuse.net

Willow Creek Sanctuary Inc.
    P.O. Box 171
    Danville, KY 40423
    willowcreeksanctuary@adelphia.net
    www.willowcreeksanctuary.petfinder.com

Witch Trot Farms
    1692 Waddy Rd.
    Lawrenceburg, KY 40342
    (502) 839-4425
    remarcinc@aol.com
    www.picturetrail.com/remarc

Wolf Run Wildlife & Educational Facility
    7376 Old U.S. 27 South
    Nicholasville, KY 40356
    (859) 887-9663
    wrwrhope@gmail.com
    www.wolfrun.org

Woodford Humane Society
    265 Thomas Lane
    P.O. Box 44
    Versailles, KY 40383
    (859) 873-5491
    manager@woodfordhumanesociety.org
    www.woodfordhumanesociety.org

Woodstock Animal Foundation
    715 Allendale Dr.
    Lexington, KY 40503
    (859) 489-7319
    jbris01@email.uky.edu
    www.waf.petfinder.com

• annzgw
    13 years ago

I'd call the Sheriff. They'll probably give you an animal control number or will send someone out themselves but, from my experience, if the animals appear healthy (meaning not skin & bones or severely injured they'll probably leave a warning with your neighbor and then come back to see if any changes occurred. Don't be surprised if the owners are given a chance to straighten up before animal control takes the animals.
    Ideally, it would have been nice if animal control could have seen the pup when he was injured. Maybe the broken leg will be enough for AC to take the dogs.

Lie......tell the sheriff you're calling in response to the complaints of several neighbors.....but call. Be sure to mention the injured pup and the condition of his leg.
    If the neighbor says anything to you, do as he did, say nothing and walk away.

IMO, to not do anything is as bad as what the neighbor is doing.

• cynthia_gw
    13 years ago

Or as the saying goes - if you aren't part of the solution you're part of the problem. I don't think they need a dog house, they need a home. Alert the authorities to get the dogs out of there. They aren't being provided with exercise, stimulation, medical care, food or water. This is cruelty and abuse. Actually with the addition of the pregnant dog this is starting to bear signs of trolls. Hope not. If your story is real, do something!

• Lily316
    13 years ago

I was beginning to think the same thing, Cynthia.

• boots2
    Original Author
    13 years ago

annz, cynthia and lily316
    What I've been telling you is not a story it is real and it has been killing me for a long time. Its hurts me more when you tell me I'm part of the problem when I've cried and set up nights worried sick but did not know what to do. You don't understand, where we live you don't mess with anyone's things but your own. I have to be very careful because I have a home and family that I have to protect. This person is right beside me. My heart has been so hurt with this that I don't know if I can come back and hear you say its my fault. I understand your hurt because that is what I've been living with only much worse because I have to live beside it and see. Where we live everyone keeps their dogs outside and most chained. I don't like it but that is the way it is. I wish it was not that way. We use to have a dog. We loved her so much. After about 16 years she got sick and died. The vets could not get over how well we took care of her each time we took her for her check up. They always would brag on her. She had regular baths and never without food and good. We did not keep her chained and she was an outside dog but only in the day. We would bring her in the garage in the evening and close the door. If we left for vacation our family came every day to take care of her. We kept a really good very thick bed for her in the garage attached to our home. We would bring her in from time to time. She was our baby. We love animals and take very good care of them. We have a cat that stays in the house with us now. She has never been out. We love her and take the best of care of her. So, we love animals and take them regular to the vet. I'm sorry that you feel that I'm part of the problem. I know you feel for them because I'm just like you. I hope it helps you with your hurt to know when I say we will try to do everything we can for the dogs. There is nothing here to help animals but one animal shelter which in a few days if no one comes to get them they kill them. I know that can be better than living in some cases. I don't think very many people go there to get animals. They were shut down for terrible things they were doing themselves but have now reopened. There is nothing here but the sheriff. It is so different her than other places when it comes to animals. I have family that live in other states and the laws protect their animals as much as people almost. There are so many neighbors all around you but here its not that way I'm the only one beside this owner. If something is done he knows its me. I will come back and let you know.

• Lily316
    13 years ago

I apologize. I know that some states in the south have a whole different attitude than the northeast and other parts of the country. I walk my dogs over two miles a day and never in all our different walks see dogs chained outside. There is a whole different mentality up here. Even I am amazed at the dogs going to doggie day care and spas, but the treatment your neighbor is giving his dogs is horrific. Petra gave you some good links. I hope you call one of these groups and get help for these dogs. Again I apologize. There are many trolls who post stuff on the web.

• annzgw
    13 years ago

boots,
    I understand the mentality of the neighbor you're dealing with and why you fear him. That type of person couldn't care less about the condition of his pets and them being without food and water means about as much to him as the water in his toilet.
    I just hope he doesn't have children in his house.

You should contact the rescue groups and see if anyone has additional advise but I'd still try to plant a seed in the guy's mind (what little he has) by saying you miss your dog that died and if he ever needs a new home for his pup that you'll be happy to take it.

Keep us posted.

• boots2
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you Petra for the links and your help.

• petra_gw
    13 years ago

You are very welcome, boots. I really hope you will be able to help those poor dogs, it sounds like a terrible situation for everyone. Please come back and update us when you can.

• cynthia_gw
    13 years ago

Here's what you can do:

Contact 'Dogs Deserve Better' for your region:
    Marie Belanger- Region 5
    NC SC TN KY WV VA
    email ddbrepcoord@dogsdeservebetter.org

You could also become the KY rep for the organization and help others at the same time that you try to help the dogs next door. Change begins with one person. You can worry and do nothing, or you can reach out and try to make things better. Maybe not for these creatures, but for other dogs in Kentucky. You can't change the world, but you can change the world for one dog. Do something.

Here is a link that might be useful: Link to more information

• Chicagotongue_gmail_com
    13 years ago

(I made some spelling typos and my iPad won't let me scroll down to correct them, sorry in advance ...)

Boots r u serious!? You are obviously jealous of your neighbor or else seriously obsessed with them. You contradict yourself many times and it seems obvious to me that you know you are a bad and creepy neighbor who spends each day and even night watching them. Stop being a nasty peeping Tom, nobody is going to side with you if they knew what you were really up to. They have given you a list of humane societies to call, I don't buy your excuse that they won't do anything about it. Maybe the fact that they have to deal with seeing your head invading their privacy every
    time they go outside is making tHem NOT want to go outside since the
    LasT thing anyone wants to deal with is seeing their nosy neighbors annoying head anxiously peering at them through the bushes, or over the fence. You know when they leave, when they come home, you watch them day and night, and now you even admit to trespassing. You have issues. And it is not the dog that has got you so hurt and sad. If you really care about the dog not having a shelter, or eating enough , or having enough water , you should call the animal control people. If the dog is starved they will take the dog away, let the animal control people know that if the owners are not willing to fix the problem, that you are willing to adopt him/her.
    But then you wouldn't have an excuse to spy stalk your neighbors now would you.

You want to protect your family but who will protect your neighbor from YOU.?

The worst thing your neighbor would do is to get cameras to control your peeping.

• nativeflower49
    13 years ago

NO animal should go without food or shelter, I would go over to your neighbors and talk to them and see if there if there is any reason they cannot get a dog house or shelter for their dog. Its a damn shame to see people don't take consideration of their pets and I recently took in a adult size Pit & Boxer mix dog hes very friendly and he has a home here with our family. He use to be in indoor dog and now he loves to be outside he has a big fenced in yard to run around. Good luck and bless the dogs heart.