Return to the Pets Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Obese elderly dogs

Posted by hald (My Page) on
Thu, Oct 8, 09 at 2:08

I have 4 dogs, ages 10 months, and 8, 14, and 15 years. The 14 and 15 year olds have become a little overweight. A logical part of me thinks I should reduce their food intake. But they are nearing the end of their life expectancy for their breed, and food is one of their greatest pleasures, so I hesitate to put them on a diet, though I have cut back their portions a bit. I'm feeling that a little overweight is ok at their ages. What do you think?

All four are active indoor/outdoor small terriers. The 5 of us walk each morning about 1 1/2 miles. I'd say they have had just average physical health issues over the years. They are mainly companion animals. I'm not talking grossly obese, more like if you were a man like me who is about 20lbs comfortably overweight and 100 years old (I'm not 100, but I think Stuart would be in dog years).

This came up in a conversation with a friend; I wondered what other people think.
-hald

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Obese elderly dogs

although being overweight isn't ideal, at their ages, and with food being a simple pleasure for them, i think i'd indulge them. i have a senior great dane that needs to lose a few pounds and we're working on it. it's hard when she looks at me with those soulful eyes and begs for just one more handful of kibble!

o

I tend to agree with you... you don't want an obese dog... but an elderly dog that is slightly overweight, yet comfortable, isn't a huge problem.

I think my old lab could stand to loose a couple pounds... my vet says she's a well fed pet...she's no longer a sleek hunter, but she's not too fat either.

o

You can cut back the total amount of food given per day, but divide it into smaller portions so they eat more often. Then they will feel spoiled even more by getting more meals, but be healthier since they will lose weight. Dogs don't really notice when you cut back the amount of food, just in the number of meals, unless they are *really* overfed.

o

something else you can do, i do this with my senior great dane, is add some canned green beans to her meals. i also give her a special treat during the day, a bowl of green beans. she loves them! there are virtually no calories and they're a good "filler upper". :)

o

I put some of their daily food into a bowl and when I give them a treat it's a kibble or two and they don't get anything extra that way.Of course this would be hard to do with wet food.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pets Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here