Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ginny_mclean_petite_garden

Feral kitties

I have had many different pets all my life and am a true animal and nature nut but I have never had a litter of feral kittens. Was surprised today when one of the momma dogs was cry-howling at something up on the side garage roof. Thinking it odd that one of the squirrels or maggies would atract such a worrysome cry from this girl I went out to investigate. I found two little feral kittens who had obviously been born in the garage attic. One solid black and one a perfect rag doll siamese with white mitties. There is no way I can get close to them and they just went back into the attic. Interesting place to put a live trap........hmmmmmm? I put food and water out for them where the mom at least can get it, if she is still around that is. They look to be about 5-6 weeks old and healthy. I haven't had a lot of cats in my life as I am alergic but knowing me, I would probably want to keep them. Any chance they could be tamed? I sure don't want to leave them out there all winter even though our garage is heated and will try to get a trap to set up through the attic door. Now I am just worried about the little babies. The coldest night of the summer/fall tonight. Such a worry wart! What to do?

Ginny

Comments (27)

• purplepansies
    11 years ago

Hi Ginny - The smaller they are, the easier! I would trap them and get them to a vet now before they get older. I've trapped feral kittens at that age and a little older and they got accustomed to us pretty quickly. Just takes a little patience and understanding. Not sure where you are, but you may want to contact a cat rescue organization for information and/or assistance, I am sure they would be happy to help.

By the way, momma cat should be caught and taken to a vet for a checkup and spaying, too. And she may be quite young as well, you never know!

• Ginny McLean_Petite_Garden
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks PP. I called the humane society here and have not heard back yet. I am going to see if I can see them through the door in the garage which means I need to go up a ladder. :( I think I can get a trap up there if my DH is here to help. Looking for rescue group as well. I even thought about calling the fire dept. Lol!

Haven't seen mom and am concerned she has run out of lives. She has been around all summer if it is the black one my neighbour has been chasing away. We don't get many strays around here and there are lots of dogs in this neighbourhood.

I will go out and check the food and see what is up there. I can rent a trap from the city if I can trap them myself and they would go to the humane society where they will be spayed/neutered and vet care. I just know I would fall in love with them if I even fostered them! And I already have 5 dogs!

I'll keep this updated. :)

Ginny

Original Author
    11 years ago

Kitties ate the food and left little muddy paw prints on top of the kennel. Speaking with my neighbour, she thinks the black one could be a very young mother. I have contacted a few rescue groups so will hopefully be able to trap them soon. At least they are not hungrey, cold or thirsty. :)

Ginny

• annzgw
    11 years ago

Since they're in your attic, you may want to also place a shallow pan of cat litter up there.

Original Author
    11 years ago

Out of the garage attic now and sleeping in the kennel I put in the shed. They have eaten all the food I leave out and have dry kibble available. Litter box is the great outdoors for now. Must get a trap. No response from 3 cat rescue groups or Humane Society yet. Will call again.

Ginny

• jomuir
    11 years ago

if you keep feeding them regularly in the same spot/time of day etc, you may not need the trap. How allergic are you? If they rub against you, will you have problems? I think if you let them approach you after you've fed them for a week or two, they'll most likely start coming to you & you'll be able to handle them & scoop them up when you're ready to take them to a shelter. I'd buy a cardboard crate after you're confident you can pick them up.

I sure hope momma turns up alive & someone can get her fixed, maybe a shelter or your local humane society has a TNR (trap, neuter, release) program for her for free/low cost.

A big thank you for feeding & watering them & caring about their well-being.

• jomuir
    11 years ago

I meant cardboard carrier not crate.

• stir_fryi SE Mich
    11 years ago

My kitty was born on a shed to a feral mommy. They were removed at around 8 week old, I think - and made good pets (though some in the litter were shy/skittish).

Original Author
    11 years ago

I got em! I went out to feed them about 5 minutes ago and my momma dog found them in the kennel. I put the food dish in and closed the door. I will take them to the Humane Society.......as much as I want to keep these two little angels. I am no longer worried about them. I don't know how feral they are as Chloe was the first one to get face to face with them and they really spit at her! My tour of the humane society is about to begin. :)

Ginny

PS Jomuir, nothing goes hungry, thirtsy or cold around here! In fact, I spend more money on the animals than I do on myself. And my husband supports me all the way! :) Thanks to everyone for the encouragement, good advice, and well wishes. :)

• cat_mom
    11 years ago

Hooray--two more kittens who will have safe, warm homes as the colder weather approaches!

Thank you for doing this!

Original Author
    11 years ago

Well, I haven't taken them in yet........so I went and bought a bag of litter and put them in my big whelping kennel with food, water and a litter box. I would rather take them to a cat rescue than the Humane Society, just personal preference.

These little guys are pretty good about being picked up.
    No scratching or spitting although they don't like my crazy poppa dog freaking out at the kennel so I put it in the bathroom. They just sort of snuggled in to my arms when I picked them up. Not a peep out of either of them. Their little tummys are round and they don't appear to have mites or anything. I will go and get a feline 4 way and dewormer for them and see if my vet will check them over as a favor to me. I've nicknamed them Batman and Robin.:)

Ginny

• pamghatten
    11 years ago

If you are picking them up, you are golden! I also have helped trap, neuter, tame, re-home, etc. feral or semi-feral kitties. Sounds like you are doing great all on your own!

Original Author
    11 years ago

Ok, if I keep this up, I will not be able to part with them.The two little kitties who found their mitties in my garage and are clawing their way into my heart! Still don't know their genders but I think they are both boys. Batman and Robin eating in my bathroom while I am on the floor petting them. They are skittish but smart little kittens. Using the litter box like they were born in it and eating like little piggies. I gave them their first shots and a worming pill. I sure need a farm! :)

Ginny

• sylviatexas1
    11 years ago

Those are some adorable kittens!

Original Author
    11 years ago

They are so adorable! And are playing with their toy mice now. Sure goes to show what a little TLC will do. :)

My DH hadn't seen them cause he had to work late and he was so worried about them last night out in the cold. When he came in I asked him if he would clean up the puke from one of the dogs in the bathroom. He was sure surprised to see the kitties in there and he has been fussing over them all night. There was no puke, BTW.

There is a pharmacy here that I get my canine and feline vaccines from so it is not as expensive to do a series of vaccines and worm them. We also have a spay and neuter clinic here in town that cuts down the cost considerably if I need to go that route myself. I sure hope I can find a home for them before that. And we get momma cat too. :)She'll be looking for her babies tonight. :(

Ginny

• Lily316
    11 years ago

OMG, they are adorable. Keep them. They look so sweet and healthy. One looks like he has Siamese blood.

Original Author
    11 years ago

I wish I could keep them but allergies will present a problem for me unfortunately. And I am most allergic to siamese cats.
    I think the mother is a black domestic medium hair mongrel and dad, if I'm correct with my hunch, is a red tabby point siamese. They have siamese faces and long tails so it is very likely. And the siamesey one has aqua eyes. :) We don't have many outdoor cats around here and even fewer feral ones. Miss Blacky has been passing through my neighbours yard to my garage all summer. Guess she doesn't like my dogs. >:(

Ginny

• jomuir
    11 years ago

Oh they're so cute!

• purplepansies
    11 years ago

Oh, they're beautiful! Thank goodness I'm nowhere near you, or I'd be knocking on your door!!

• cat_mom
    11 years ago

So sweet!!!!!

• schoolhouse_gw
    11 years ago

Geeze, I was never a cat person until I gained number two as a feral a year ago this past April. She and my 15yr.old barely get along but it's getting better. Your two kitties are so pretty -esp. that Siamese mix. I hope they find homes, but some humane societies don't adopt out black kitties this time of year because of weirdos in regards to Halloween. I know ours doesn't. They hold them until after the holiday, I know sounds stupid but people CAN be so cruel to animals.

Original Author
    11 years ago

I've almost always had a cat in the house since Hocus Pocus followed me home from the SPCA when I was about 14. When my daughter moved out she took her cat with her and I have been catless since then, 14 years ago now. My allergies bother me more now.

So I still have them here and am getting more concerned as I am finding the rescue groups and Humane Society are overwhelmed with cats and kittens and they are looking for foster homes! So I've advertised them on Kijiji for the cost of a neuter which is cheaper than the shelters and I will have them done next week. Both boys. They are settling into their bathroom and playing well. They are already bigger than yesterday! Good food and warmth. I introduced them to my old momma dog tonight. They were not impressed! Robin hid between the kennel and the counter and growled and hissed at Angel. Batman growled a bit but he was falling asleep on the chair and didn't seem to be bothered. Angel has had 5 litters of pups and she is such a good girl so we just hung out for a bit and then turned the light out for the night. My DH plays kittysitter over the weekend.

I agree with you about the black cat thing, schoolhouse. Funny, I am a huge fan of Halloween and I have a black cat collection in ceramic, plush, glass, ect. this is the first time I have a real Halloween cat! And he is so shiny and sleek. Oh dear, I really cannot keep them!!! But I will be dammned if I will offer them up to someone who will not take care of them or leave them to make more unwanted babies! That just burns me to the core! These boys will probably be really good mousers but not intact!

We'll see what the holiday weekend brings about. They are happy, warm kitties for now. :)

Ginny

• Lily316
    11 years ago

Thanks for being so nice to the boys. They are beautiful kittens. Can you take meds for your allergies? You are going to get so attached to them. The black cat thing is true. Halloween is a bad time for them.

Original Author
    11 years ago

I wish I could Lily but I am already on medication that is adverse to antihistamine. I can't take it on a regular basis. While they are kittens, they don't bother me as much unless they bite or scratch me. And there is the issue of the dogs. If they were raised around dogs it might be easier. I have shelties and shelties like to chase anything that will run from them. My older male will just love to taste them hence his nickname ALF.

I can't save the world but I do what I can for the underprivleged in my little corner of it; even the 2 legged ones who create the imbalance in the first place, myself included.

On a lighter note, This caption my daughter sent me was my inspiration for the kitties names when I first saw them on top of my garage. I thought it was so funny! :)

Ginny

Here's the boys last night. Growing fast!

• annzgw
    11 years ago

How adorable! I can understand the safety issue with your dogs but just wanted to mention that maybe you'll outgrow your allergies. ;) DH was allergic to cats and we had not owned a cat in 35 years when DS found a very sick, stray Manx kitten in his yard. Of course it ended up in my house, we got attached and waited for the day DH's allergies would kick in. It's been over 2 years now and still waiting!

Original Author
    11 years ago

Well I am at my daughters for the weekend and she now has a Ragdoll boy who I gave her for Christmas 2010 so we will see how bothered I am on this visit. In April I had to have allergy pills the whole weekend. I totally agree with the allergy thing though, Ann. I have had allergies to cats for years and they didn't bother me too much cause I had long haired cats. My daughters cats bothered me more if I cuddled them but I didn't worry too much cause she cuddled them and they slept in her room........

This is why I cannot foster! And my husband is just as bad. I may have to pry the kitties away from him when I get home. ;) Incidentally, ALF aka Painter, could care less about my daughters cat but Sparrow thinks he is a dog and lives with a sheltie (Chloe's mom) and a lab. :)

Yes, I need a farm!

Ginny

Original Author
    11 years ago

A little sad today. My husband and I had to make the decision to take the boys into a foster home. :( We almost kept them.........but it would have been too diffucult to play musical animals with the dogs. The good news is that we were able to keep them for 6 days out of the cold, get their weight up to normal, and tame them quite nicely. Both boys are little sugglers and very playful. I sure hope they are adopted together. :)

Thanks much for the support from my fellow GW members. I know I did the best I could for these two little kitties. :)

Ginny

PS Schoolhouse, apparently, no adoptions of black cats before Halloween are allowed here either. :)