Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tabbaldwin

appetite stimulant.....and other problems

tracey_b
12 years ago

Okay, so I've been searching through here and see that both cyproheptadine and mirtazapine (sp?) have been used. Have any of you used both (not at same time, of course). Which would you prefer to try first? I have both on hand to try on my kitty, but can't decide--both have their risks.

Ellie is my 16-month old Ragdoll. She has dry FIP but is on an experimental med that has shown promise in getting cats into remission--the longest survivor so far is 5 yrs! (and ongoing--since the study was only a few years ago, and cats didn't all start at the same time). I have to "support" her however I can so that the drug has time to work. Right now we're dealing with anemia and lack of appetite....and a vet who has written her off already (from diagnosis. I had to get the info on the drug and make all the contacts myself. I'm in the process of looking for another vet who will at least pretend he/she thinks there's a chance).

I'm wondering if lack of appetite is partially caused by the ABX Zeniquin she was on for a UTI, which is what took us to the vet in the first place. I asked for blood tests then to look for anemia because she seemed a bit lethargic. The ABX must've caused the FIP to accelerate because she lost 1.5 lbs in the next month. I'm going to start Ellie on 1/4 tablet of Pepcid AC in the morning, hopefully followed by one of the appetite stimulants about 30 mins later. I just have to decide which one. And how much. Vet wrote 1/2 pill on each bottle. And yes, I know I can only do 1 at a time. I originally asked for the cypro., but they gave me mirta. I didn't catch it until I got home; went back for the cypro. He's just giving me what I ask for--not offering up any help. Like I said, he's written her off already.

Thank you!

Tracey

Comments (2)

• laurief_gw
    12 years ago

I have used cypro but not mirtazapine. I do know that they are dosed completely differently, though. I also would space them (and any other meds) two hours apart from the Pepcid so that the Pepcid doesn't interfere with absorption.

Neither cypro nor mirtazapine work on all cats. You may find that one works for your girl but the other doesn't. It'll be trial and error to find out which has the desired effect and at what dosage. I will caution you to start with a very low dose of either one, though. The recommended dosages of each have been associated with some rather nasty side effects in some cats. The safest approach is to start with one at a very low dose, then increase, if necessary, until you either reach an effective dose or start experiencing unpleasant side effects. If the unpleasant side effects occur first, then it would be prudent to stop that drug and try the other one at a low (and potentially increasing) dose to see how she does on that one. I, personally, would start with cypro, since it seems to have fewer and less potentially severe side effects than mirtazapine.

You can read about dosing recommendations for both drugs at the following link:

Here is a link that might be useful: appetite stimulants and other appetite strategies

• tracey_b
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi Laurie! (I remember you helping me about 3 yrs ago when my old kitty was end-stage CRF....I certainly didn't expect to have to play nurse with a kitty again so soon).

Thanks for the info. I've already read that site and the archives here. I think whichever I try, I'll use even less than the vet recommends. I'm still undecided as yet another vet (that makes 3) said they'd try mirtazapine first.

I'm changing vets and taking Ellie in tomorrow (Sat.) to the new one for a B12 shot. I'll also ask about some more natural appetite stimulants, too. This new practice is only 2 miles further away (yea!) and also utilizes holistic practices. I think with long-term, chronic care, this is essential.

I like the Yahoo FIP group, but for more "general" cat questions, I still like to come here since it was "home" for many months while I dealt with old Casey's issues (and learning to sub-q her, etc.).

Thanks again,
    Tracey