Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
elvis_gw

F1B Labradoodles

elvis
13 years ago

Anyone else got this kind of dog? We've had doggies as part of our family forever, and wow, these guys are unbelievable!!! Gotta figure out how to post pics...

Comments (12)

• alan_s_thefirst
    13 years ago

Mine's an F1. She's a great dog, very lovable and smart...in a dopey sort of way!

• mooner
    13 years ago

I have a labradoodle and we have had dogs for our 40 years of marriage and I have to say that she is the best dog we have ever had. Loyal, calm, obedient and loving...her mom was a choc.lab and dad a cream poodle and what a great dog she is. I would recommend this breed to anyone....

• carmen_grower_2007
    13 years ago

What is a 'F1B'?

• mboston_gw
    13 years ago

F1B means that they are second generation doodles. We have a brother and sister that we got as puppies - they are now 4 years old. Ours are Minilabradoodles - meaning that the mother doodle was mated with a toy poodle. Andi (the girl) was the runt and now weighs 28 lbs but she has the short legs like her daddy, the poodle. Amos is taller, weighs about 35 lbs. Both are very solidly build. Amos has the soft mouth of a lab and won't pull or tug on a toy but will retrieve it forever. Andi loves to pull and tug on her squeaky toys. Both love to swim, both are lap dogs (kinda big one for Amos) and they are so sweet and affectionate. They are 75% poodle and 25 % lab.

• elvis
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Alan, Mooner, and Boston, aren't they wonderful? We have 2 F1B's. Buckley is 6, and we're kicking ourselves big time for having him neutered when he was 6 months old. He was our first Doodle; who knew? His mother was F1 (yellow Lab x Black standard) and his sire was silver standard. He's 102 lbs of silver curly hair with Panda patches. No shedding and no smell! Totally obedient, smart, loyal, and completely trustworthy. Sigh.

Now we have added Bella, our first female of any breed. Although she has the wonderful chracteristics that Buckley has, she is more mischievious. Of course, she's only a little over a year old. Mom is F1 ( black Lab x apricot standard); Dad is cream standard. Bella is jet black with straight poodle fur that sticks out all over the place, and she's only 50 lbs. So cute! We'd like to have her bred when she's 2, next summer. We wish we could breed her to Buckley, but it's not to be.

We need an F1B male Labradoodle. Keep your ears open if you would, folks.

Carmen, are you familiar with Labradoodles? A lot of people don't know what the F1B designation is. Why would you, unless you were into Labradoodles?

Thanks for all the feedback~~

• carmen_grower_2007
    13 years ago

I asked because I didn't know.

• mboston_gw
    13 years ago

Our Amos has the black curly hair like a poodle with the bigger ears. We have to keep his hair cut short cause it naps so much. Andi is more straight hair and is aprioct but the hair on her legs andhead, neck curls some. She is SO SMART! Amos on the other hand is well, lets just say "He's a lover!"

Andi is a lizard hunter, Amos could care less. Both are very good with our 16 month old grandson.

We had to have our neutered as part of our contract. We went to get Andi but Amos laid himself over my husband when he knelt down in the pen. I never wanted a male or a black dog but I got both in one. Three hours later we were signing the contract for two puppies! It was our anniversary weekend so we said we gave each other a puppy!

I have lots of pictures but I now have to load them on photobucket to post here. Will try to get some done soon.
    I think if you do a search with my sign in name you should find a post that has some from a while back.

Would love to see everyone elses doodles!

• carmen_grower_2007
    13 years ago

I have to say that these new crosses are probably far superior to any breed that has existed for generations simply because they are new and probably not genetically damaged too much. I have labs and probably would have gone for one of the mixes if I had done some research. That said, I wouldn't give up my cuties for anything!!!

• jackieblue
    13 years ago

Backyard breeders in the making...

• mboston_gw
    13 years ago

Found l

ast Christmas' picture that we used on our card.

Here they are on their Sunday swim. Notice who has the bigger toy!

• idrive65
    13 years ago

I have to say that these new crosses are probably far superior to any breed that has existed for generations simply because they are new and probably not genetically damaged too much. I have labs and probably would have gone for one of the mixes if I had done some research. That said, I wouldn't give up my cuties for anything!!!

If you truly did your research, you would know that labradoodles are not a "breed" at all, just very expensive mutts. Lovable, adorable, yes! but no reputable breeder of either labradors OR poodles would allow their dogs to be cross bred in this way. If your labs are genetically damaged, they aren't well bred labs. BTW, my own lab isn't well bred, I got him second-hand and he probably originated from a backyard breeder. After I got him I did some research about labs. Sure I love him and wouldn't trade him for the world, but if he's genetically damaged it certainly isn't due to being all lab.

• elvis
    Original Author
    13 years ago

so true, idrive65. Most definitios say 'purebred dogs' are from a sire and dam of a recognized breed (same) from many generations of the same breed. So, if the Labradoodles, or F1B's are bred the same way for several generations, they will eventually be recognizable as "purebred". Considering they are wildly popular and reputable breeders are indeed keeping track of the lineage, this will happen in the not too distant future.

Take a look at the history of lots of "breeds", like dobermans, for instance. Once upon a time, their ancestors were mutts...

mboston, your babies are adorable~~