Return to the Pets Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
re-starting glucosamine/msm supplement

Posted by ninapearl (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 27, 09 at 22:17

because of some digestive upsets, i discontinued supplements for my senior great dane until i got the situation under control. i believe all 3 of my dogs picked up a "bug" somewhere which produced some pretty awful diarrhea for a couple of days. they have all been on boiled chicken/rice for the past few days. i am re-introducing their regular kibble, we're almost there. they are all doing fine, activity levels back to normal, stool consistency normal (yayy!!!).

i want to start my girl back on her joint supplement asap. my question is this...is there a chance that re-introducing a joint supplement can cause digestive upset? i sure don't want to deal with more diarrhea but i really want her to have the added boost of this supplement.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: re-starting glucosamine/msm supplement

Glucosamine can cause digestive upsets, absolutely. It's one of the known side effects. I've also read that it can hinder normal blood clotting.

o

I'm curious, what type of supplements do you use?

My St. Bernard is on the Move-Free which my vet recommended. I buy it at Costco. He's been on it for 3 years now. I didn't know glucosamine/msm supplements could cause digestive upsets. So far my boy has been doing okay.

o

i've been using Flavocin for just over a year now. my dane girl is 8 years old, got her from rescue in august '08. it seems to have become somewhat ineffective so i called my vet a couple of days ago and he suggested i try her on Previcox so i picked some up yesterday. we'll see how she does.

o

I've been using Petco's Joint Support III for the last year and it has worked great. It not only has the glucosamine chondroitin but also msm and Hyaluronic Acid. No tummy upset seen with this one. Also another note, fish oil is a great supp to add with arthritis. My ridgeback used to have quite a bit of trouble before I started this combination and now she shows no signs of arthritic problems.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pets Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here