Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
notolover

I found my box turtle!

notolover
11 years ago

I posted in early May that my male box turtle escaped from the tortoise playpen.

I pretty much figured he was a goner. But he found his way to the garden (his outside pen is right next to the garden). I was picking tomatoes and there he was at the base of the biggest tomato plant.

I remember all the great support you all gave me and so I wanted to let you know that there was a very happy ending :-)

He seems like he's been getting plenty to eat and now he can tell the female what he did on his summer vacation.

Comments (17)

• glaserberl
    11 years ago

Wow! Great to see a happy ending!

• Ninapearl
    11 years ago

yayyy!!! wow, this is so cool! imagine...a TURTLE finding his way back home. ya know, i wonder if he's been close all this time and just decided to stop playing his little game and show himself. LOL

every so often, i would wonder what happened to the little guy. very nice to hear he's back where he belongs. :)

• airforceguy
    11 years ago

Cool!! I wondered if you would have or had found him. Thanks for reporting back!! Congrats

• Lily316
    11 years ago

Glad he's back. I love turtles.

• quasifish
    11 years ago

Your post just made my day! I'm smiling ear to ear now. Thanks for coming back to share that. So happy for you!

• petra_gw
    11 years ago

What wonderful news!! Ours ran away 7 years ago and I still look for him whenever I am outside.

• cat_mom
    11 years ago

Big smiles here, too! Hooray!

• spedigrees z4VT
    11 years ago

I am SO happy to hear your turtle has been found and is home unscathed! Such wonderful news! Thank you for posting this followup!

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    11 years ago

Delightful! Can I ask a 'stupid ' question? How do you know that it's your turtle? What is it that makes your little guy different from the rest?

• newbuyer2007
    11 years ago

What great news! :)

• jomuir
    11 years ago

Awesome!

• kitasmommie
    11 years ago

So great that he came back!!!!

We have a turtle that visits. Every summer, a couple time each year - for the past few years, he (?) shows up at our garage door. Hangs around for a day or so - then disappears till the next time. I'm assuming it's the same one.....

Not being a turtle expert myself, I often wonder why he comes. The closest water source (small creek) is about a mile away. Don't they usually keep closer to the water?

• notolover
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks everyone for sharing in my joy!

To Rhizo. When I got him from the pet store, a kid had dropped him a few days before and he has a scrape and a bit missing from his shell. Also I live in the high desert so there won't be very many box turtles wandering around :-)

To kitasmommie: there must be something at your house that he likes; do you have flowers or something near the garage? Your yard must be in the boundaries of its territory and something draws it to your yard the same time every year.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    11 years ago

So happy for both of you!

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    11 years ago

Thanks, noto!

• kittens
    11 years ago

I remember when you posted about your lost turtle. I'm so glad he's back - that's unbelievable!

• lisa11310
    11 years ago

yea!