Return to the Pets Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Feline Painkiller

Posted by bbaird (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 24, 09 at 22:03

After 2 days, I've stopped crying long enough to post this.

My beautiful, sweet, gentle, loving 10 year old cat was just diagnosed with both CRF and cancer (the CRF makes it virtually impossible to do surgery, because the anesthesia could kill her kidneys entirely. Also, without going in, they can't determine if the cancer is of the intestines, pancreas or spleen).

I've started her on fluids (Sub-Q). God, she's such a trooper.

All I can do is prepare. I want to know if there's any oral painkiller for cats.

I can't find anything on the Internet.

Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Feline Painkiller

When my cat had cancer we used a Fentanyl patch on him. It worked very well. They shaved a little spot on his leg and put the patch there.

o

So sorry...poor Puss. I've had cats with CRF and a cat with cancer, but never the combination.

My cat Otis lived > six months after an abdominal mass was found in a sonogram. He had been gradually losing weight and becomming lethargic for a while, but since he was getting older, and was a bit overweight, it didn't set off any alarm bells until it became obvious that he wasn't eating at all. Its hard to tell when a cat is in chronic pain (as opposed to acute pain, like after an accident or surgery). I think the best barometer is how well they eat. After the diagnosis, our vet (who felt that surgery was not a good option) put Otis on varying amounts of Prednisone. It increased his appetite nicely and and his last months were comfortable ones for him...there is no reason for a well loved pet who has a terminal dieease to live with chronic pain. My vet told me that i would know when it was time...

But your cat may be a long way from that. The fluids will make her feel much better...the dehydration from the CRF is probably (at this stage) what is causing her the most discomfort.

Don't give up hope...she sounds like she is in good hands.

L

o

Thank you.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pets Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here