Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
alisande_gw

Safer brand diatomaceous earth

alisande
10 years ago

I've read numerous posts here about using diatomaceous earth to aid in flea control. Most stress that the DE should be food grade. I bought a 4-lb. bag of Safer brand DE but haven't opened it yet. It doesn't say food grade on the bag.

The Safer website says this:

BEWARE.... all Diatomaceous Earth is not the same.
Safer Brand Ant and Crawling Insect Killer Powder with Diatomaceous Earth is made from a patented formula containing amorphous diatomaceous earth, known as silicon dioxide. This particular type of Diatomaceous Earth is derived from fresh water sources and is NOT the same as Diatomite DE which can be derived from unnatural sources and has been linked to cancer. You can shop confidently, knowing that Safer Brand Ant & Crawling Insect Killer is OMRI listed and contains Amorphous Diatomaceous Earth.

Should I take it back?

Thanks!

Comments (11)

• sleevendog (5a NY 6aNYC NL CA)
    10 years ago

Oh no, not for pets or human consumption.
    Food grade is food grade. Safe for pets and humans.
    It is not good even as food grade to get the dust in your lungs. The application for pets
    needs to be carefully applied, (i've not done this) but should be researched.
    Check this link to Amazon and read through careful application for pets.

- i also have the one you purchased but i use it around my hostas to control slugs early in the spring and where my pets do not have direct contact to the dust. I apply during the wet and damp spring weather where it seems to hug the soil and works for me.

Here is a link that might be useful: food grade

• cindyxeus
    10 years ago

Check out food grade DE from Wolf Creek Ranch

• alisande
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks! I took back the Safer and ordered this one:

food grade DE

• Tami Olson
    8 years ago

@Ali. Do you know if it's safe for human consumption as the complete food grade is? I have read it kills parasites, tape worms and other intestinal worms and such in the animal/human body. Here's the link if you are intersted in why I ask. http://patient.info/forums/discuss/do-parasites-cause-autoimmune-diseases--39892?page=1 I looked for your Personal email to ask off here but couldn't find it. You can email me directly athletescapes@gmail.com

• Barbara Brandt
    7 years ago

Organic was what I asked for at HomeDepot and I was told to use it as organic. I have found out that my cat Elmo is panting and ill since I put it on his fir and he is getting worse tonight. My other cat, Coco vomited a huge amount last night. Both cats were treated with this because I thought it was organic. It is all over my wood floors and I am now removing it from the house. it gets into the air and crevices and that is why people use it!!!! To sell it as food grade is very negligent. The package says it should be kept away from children and other remarks that indicate it is toxic. Thus, it is not good grade. I will be taking it back and hopefully get a refund. In my town the place I ususally buy was closed for a long weekend due to the 4th I Rosedale Mills). I am so worried now that Elmo might die -- I used on him for fleas for two days.

• SaltiDawg
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

"To sell it as food grade is very negligent. The package says it should
    be kept away from children and other remarks that indicate it is toxic.
    Thus, it is not good grade. I will be taking it back and hopefully
    get a refund."

You put it on the cats despite the warnings on the package?

By the way, "organic" does not mean a product is safe.

What is being for the cats at this point?

• alhuda247
    7 years ago

Ali Lawrence i have just brought a bag of safer brand DE from home depot. Just wanted to for your source that safer brand is food grade DE. So i know for sure. Thanks!

• Annie (Georgia / USDA Hardiness Zone 8A)
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

If it does not explicitly say food grade then do not assume it is.
    When I bought DE last spring the Safer brand DE was not food grade nor
    does Safer represent it that way. I read one online review, I think
    that it was on Amazon, where a person liberally applied the Safer DE around her
    house, her pet ingested it and the pet died.

The way I
    interpret it, non-food grade DE like the Safer brand is probably a
    safer choice vis a vis blasting your home with Raid or something like
    that if you are trying to control insects, but it is not a completely safe
    for pets. I would feel comfortable putting it behind appliances or in
    cabinets where most pets don't roam, but I would not put it in a place
    where a pet can walk over the DE and then lick it's paws or lay on and then
    have the substance on their fur where they can either lick or inhale the
    DE.

FOOD GRADE DE is safe for pets including putting
    it in your pet's food, it can be used as a de-wormer but you have to make
    sure that it is food grade(!!!!!!!!) and of course you use the right
    dosage. I also agree with the caution noted above that, even with food
    grade, the dust can be an irritant, so you also have to be careful with
    even food grade DE to probably keep your pet out of the area while you
    are applying the DE and give it time to settle.

• barbara brandt
    6 years ago

I wanted to add to my comment about using the DE I bought at Home Depot. First, a sales representative gave me the package and told me it was organic. it was only AFTER my car acted sick that I checked the package. I did that because I was trying to look at everything he had ingested on that day. That is when I read the fine print on the package and realized it was not organic. I brought it back to Home Depot and showed them and they removed them from the shelves (that is what they said). I have aways used DE on my cats for flea control and on my grass (not i my flower garden) I have never had a problem with the organic DE I buy at Rosedale Mills.

• Tina Grace
    6 years ago

I used Safer brand in my house recently, subsequently my 3 yr. old free roam bunny died today!!! I noticed I last saw her eat that morning, and she kept putting her front feet in her water bowl & spilling it. She does that when grooming only... She was extra active in the afternoon, by dark she was lethargic & disoriented. I held her in my arms most of the night... She was gone in the morning.

Please, I'm really hoping her death is not my fault. I feel awful!!