Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
weed30

Vote on a name for my new dog....

weed30 St. Louis
17 years ago

hehe :)

Well, the stars were aligned on this one, folks. Many things seemed to point to me getting this girl, and the deal was sealed this morning. I took Taco and Maggie to the Humane Society to meet her. Taking them on a longish ride is not a good thing. Taking them anywhere unfamiliar, noisey, doggy, etc. is bad. They are not really socialized much, and the idea of putting them in a small room with another dog...well...yikes! They don't fight, they just don't like it. I was walking in with them thinking "this is going to be a disaster". They were amazing. I will add details later, but for now, need suggestions on a name.

Her given name is "Cupcake". Yecchhh!!!! I will link pics below, although they don't capture her true look. She has a funny/sweet looking little face head on, which I couldn't really get a shot of. So far, I have come up with Lucy, Abby, and Tixie. I am open to more suggestions :)

Here is a link that might be useful: New Girl

Comments (62)

• sweeby
    17 years ago

To me, she looks like a Heidi
    If you want something more German, Heike would also work.

• luvdogs
    17 years ago

Thanks for adopting an adult dog AND a shepherd mix. They're common and thus overlooked.

I like funny lookin' dogs too. That's why I like the Shar Pei - well, some people would call them "ugly-lookin'" not funny looking.

vicky

• alisande
    17 years ago

I, too, say she has STAR quality (gorgeous dog!!).

One of the techs at our veterinarian's office named her dog Audrey Hepburn. I don't recommend it, exactly, but I thought it was fun.

I would try to find out what she likes. When I acquired a lab mix named Donna, I wanted to change her name but couldn't come up with one. Out on a walk, I suddenly thought of "Holly." When I spoke it aloud, she reacted with excited joy. Holly she stayed.

Susan

• seekingadvice
    17 years ago

I answered you on the conversations forum, but I wanted to say that I still like the star names -

Dietrich (Marlene seems too long and maybe too close to Maggie), maybe shortened to Dede or Dietz or Deeter etc

Greta

Hedy

Now, Hedy might be a good choice since her head's big, LOL. All of those are Germanish names, too.

• cindyx
    17 years ago

She's gorgeous! I see her as a...

Schuyler (pronounced Skyler)
    Reagan
    Remy

• weed30 St. Louis
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Sweeby, Heidi was in my thoughts at one point, I'll add it to the list.

luvdogs, I think shepherd mixes are overlooked because of their usual large size, but she is really quite small, you can't tell in the photos. I think she was not adopted because of the 'not housebroken' part. But -- so far, she appears to be fine with that. I did not crate her last night, because she never even looked like she wanted to 'go' in the house, and did her stuff outside with the others. She was fine, although she did find a sponge and tear it up. She slept on the floor right next to me, although at least once she did get in the crate.

Susan, that is a good idea. I'll narrow my list and try them out on her.

seeking, Greta is on the list :)

BTW, walking was definitely a challenge. They are ok if just proceeding forward, but when the sniffing begins, having three leashes crossing over and around is a mess. Then a couple with a dog walked by, and it was a pull fest. I'm going to walk her separately for awhile. Taco and Maggie will be in their old routine, and I can train her how to walk politely when there are other dogs. Taco and Maggie are bad about that, and I don't need them teaching her their bad habits.

• Meghane
    17 years ago

Congratulations!

I have no ideas on names, except that I wish someone would take the name of that I would have given my girl baby if I could stand children- Leia Marie.

But I do have a suggestion for the walks- get a coupler! They have saved my arms. I walk 3-4 dogs on one leash, and using short couplers means minimal tangling. Mine are 12 inches, you can get longer ones but you incease the risk of knotting dogs together.

Here is a link that might be useful: Couplers

• sally2_gw
    17 years ago

My experience is that pets frequently name themselves. Live with her a few days, and the perfect name will come. I do agree that it's best to try not to rhyme with the other pet's names. I did this with a couple of my cats, and it gets confusing. I've got a Sweetie and a Squeaky, and I'm always getting their names mixed up. The good thing is that they're cats, and they don't really care.

Sally

• Lydia Percell
    17 years ago

I also like the idea of a German-ish kind of name since she looks so German Shepherd-like. Heidi is nice but too common. I like Greta and Schatzi better. Mina (Meena) is another German name (I think it's short for Wilhemina).

We named our last German Shepherd girl Diele (Dee-la) after the name of a hotel in Germany that my husband and I stayed at shortly before we adopted her. It was the name of the family which owned the hotel.

I'll also add: Zelda

Whatever you pick, have fun with your new girl!! color>

• debbiep_gw
    17 years ago

She looks like a Gracie to me.Don't name her Lucy.I have a Lucy(basset)and that name to me just doesn't fit your dog,it seems more of a name for a long ear slow moving dog!

Debbie

• Summer
    17 years ago

Whatever you decide to name her she is a beauty. Congrats!!!!
    I like the names Annie, Sophie, Rosie you mentioned & also Ivy.

Summer

• wildchild
    17 years ago

We named our DD after a beautiful GSD named Tasha. The Germanic spelling is Tausha I think.

• koala_em
    17 years ago

oh wildchild- I like 'Tasha'! cute

Tara
    Kayla

Or
    Kismet (means destiny, fate, chance sort of like 'meant to be')

Em

• girlwithaspirin
    17 years ago

Aw, she's gorgeous! What a smiler. I like odd names, and I *love* Schatzi. I also really like Cricket.

It's so hard... my husband and I went back and forth for weeks before discovering our pup's name.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    17 years ago

This whole thread is amusing to me. I let my husband pick our dogs name because I wanted his input and bonding with the dog. He spent two mini-micro seconds coming up with an unoriginal name, that he thought was great. What we do for love.

• adichristi
    17 years ago

Weed30,

First name that came to me, was Demi like (Demi Moore.)

Then reading (she really IS funny looking, despite the pretty face. Her head is too big for her body, her tail curls off at an odd angle to one side, and she is bowlegged in the back!)
    I thought Western, like Western Movies! I came up with "Annie" like the movie Annie Oakley 1935.
    Then I came across Tumbleweed, from the 1925 movie Tumbleweeds. Yes, your name is in there! LOL
    Then futher investigation came, My Darling Clementine 1946, Darling or Clementine!

I also thought of "Jane" like Jane Fonda.

I do think Maggie, Taco and Annie go together. As far as the sound goes.

You sure do have your Hands Full, but isn't it GREAT? LOVE, LOVE, LOVE!

• weed30 St. Louis
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Well, I was not feeling the LOVE today. I tried to put her in the crate - it is actually a soft sided 'camper' with nylon mesh windows and door. She was like the Tasmanian Devil in there! She flipped it over, then within 2 minutes ripped the nylon mesh door and was out. Guess I need a bigger boat ;)

Later, I came home with some Taco Bell and went around the far side of the table to sit down. I have my couch pushed up against the other side of the table, because my family room floor is being replaced. She flew up onto/over the couch and halfway on to the table, scratching the wood in the process. Oh, and she peed on my rug. Not the carpet that I don't care about...the $1,000 rug.

Perhaps I should call her Satan.

• sillymesillyne
    17 years ago

No matter what you call her...she is one lucky dog! I am so happy for her..and you, and the pups, too!
    I knew you would bring her home!

Silly

• yborgal
    17 years ago

Well, judging from her "episode" how about calling her DiDi...short for Devil Dog.

But ya still love her, don't you?

• wildchild
    17 years ago

We adopted our Rottie (private party) last September to be a companion to our Lab. I nicknamed her Devil Dog for the first 6 months. She came to us housebroken,dog friendly,good with kids and sweet; however she had NO manners. She was spoiled,pushy,a fence jumper,knocked her food bowl out of your hands,stole food off the table AND she bit people on the butt(gently)to get their attention. She even broke the front room window while barking and bounding at something outside.

Today she is obedient,can be taken anywhere,waits for an OK to eat,no longer steals food and has cut way back on the fence leaping. It's not agression, she's just hypersocial, but try telling that to the people on the other side of the fence.:0)

We cannot imagine our household without her. She'll be 3 in November and is maturing into a wonderful lady. (She'll still nip you on the butt if you ignore her too long though)LOL

So I think this girl will steal your heart and all will be fine. She looks like a keeper to me.

• kat123
    17 years ago

She has the most beautiful face!!!! She really looks like she has mostly German shepherd in her. We've always had shepherds. What a magnificent breed! Some possible names: Lady Luck (Lucky), Lucy, Gracie, Lady, Lily, Rosie, Dreamer.

• celticmoon
    17 years ago

Ooooo, Weed. Bad doggie.

I'm reminded of our mix we got off death row at the pound. Perfectly behaved at first, then an absolute wild thing. The worst was when she ate the bathroom: drywall, insulation, molding, carpet, towels, cabinet doors. Twice. We'd named her Lucy. I started to think it was short for Lucifer.

She's still here, and still pretty hyper, more than 10 years later. Best dog ever. Though she did need a lot of training...

Good luck.

• weed30 St. Louis
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Silly, actually Taco and Maggie aren't exactly thrilled. I think I have upset their happy little home. I did catch the new girl licking Taco's ear today. Taco was allowing this and wagging her tail. It was pretty cute. Maggie is much less tolerant. She snaps at the new girl a fair amount :(

monablair, I think I will like her better when she is trained. The only thing she knows how to do is sit and walk fairly well on a leash. I was able to teach her she does not get to sleep on the bed though. Taco and Maggie do, but 3 is just too much. She hopped up last night, and I put her on the floor. She hopped up again, and I put her back on the floor, where she stayed. I know she gets up there while I am gone, but at least she knows her sleeping place is on the floor.

she bit people on the butt(gently)to get their attention.

LOL!!! That is hilarious!

kat123, yes, her face is really pretty, especially her eyes.

celtic, I think once I take her to obedience she is going to be a good dog. She is not awful, most of the time she is quite calm. She was just never trained much, and spent all of her time outside.

Today's name list, in no particular order, (I change my mind daily):

Macey
    Sophie
    Roxy
    Lucy
    Zoey
    Katie

• foosacub
    17 years ago

I like Teagan, Laramie, and Daguerre (sounds like D'Gare). Very pretty girl - definitely got star quality... like the canine version of Audrey Hepburn.

• moonie_57 (8 NC)
    17 years ago

Well, I like her original name. She certainly looks like a sweety pie. I mean.. cupcake. :)

And I think she'll make you a wonderful pet. She just has a little learning to do. Not her fault, right?

• koala_em
    17 years ago

Lucy!

That when she's naughty you can call her Lucifer!
    Plus like Charlie's Angel star- Lucy Lu
    Em LOL! : )

• gw:mrs_micki
    17 years ago

I think she looks like a Layla or Roxie .

• weed30 St. Louis
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Now I'm thinking Beelzebub.

I left for one hour, and when I came home there was pee on the carpet, papers shredded on the floor, and 3 of my mini blinds damaged :( Two will have to be replaced. It was pure luck that she didn't knock the china doodads off of the end table. Well, she did knock one off but it ended up in the windowsill.

I don't understand how she can go all night withoug peeing, and then all day, (I was gone for 6 hours earlier), then go when I'm gone for an hour.

I know I need a crate. The big problem is that my neighbor lets them out midday, and I don't know that I can expect him to shove her back in the crate afterwards. Even with tempting treats, she really fights getting in, then goes postal in there. I guess I may not have a choice :(

• amicus
    17 years ago

Jessie
    Kya (pronounced K-eye-a)

• moonie_57 (8 NC)
    17 years ago

Wow, weed. I think you're going to have to take a week off and do some training. Myself, I've never cared for crating but know many people that swear by it and their dogs do well with it. It just seems so cramped and... well, nevermind. I just know that it works for those that care to use that method. In my 30 years of adult life, I've only had two dogs, both Goldens, and of course they've been absolute perfection. :)

I still like Cupcake. Maybe she's rebelling over the name change. *lol*

• jerzeegirl
    17 years ago

What a sweet face! She looks like Lucille (which of course becomes Lulabelle and Silly Sealy) or Mathilda to me.

• cynthia_gw
    17 years ago

Can you dogproof the kitchen and baby gate her in there during the day? I can't even imagine a new dog totally loose in my home. You're very brave :-)

My vote is for 'Roxie', it's dramatic and it sounds like she is too!

• girlwithaspirin
    17 years ago

Hey weed, are you introducing her to the crate slowly? And feeding all her meals and treats in there? If you can let her learn to love it on her own time (in a way that speaks to her), she'll be going in there willingly before you know it.

• weed30 St. Louis
    Original Author
    17 years ago

cynthia, I don't think a gate is going to do it for her. I picture everything pulled out of my cabinets...

girlwithaspirin - DUH! I didn't think about feeding her in there too. I feed raw, and although the first day or so she was confused about it, she loves it now.

She was good last night. No accidents, and she slept on the floor in a dog bed next to me.

• cindyb_va
    17 years ago

Now I'm thinking Beelzebub

CindyB dies laughing, remembering Miss Beezley (from 'Family Affair')...on the other hand, that would be a great name!

Cute girl!

• kim_okla
    17 years ago

When I got "Larry" from the pound it took me a week or two to name him "Bo" so I won't even offer name suggestions.

I have 2 one year old rescues. They're fun, they're destructive but I know one day they'll be great dogs.

She's pretty, she's wild. She'll be a great dog one day.

• teotiki
    17 years ago

Hi Weed,

She's a very pretty girl. I don't know if your "favorites" have changed but I vote for Roxy. I think it goes well with Maggie and Taco. With a little training and time she will settle into your family well. Isn't it a great feeling to rescue, we saved our Siamese cat who was 6 at the time and I felt much better about that than buying one from a breeder. And my Tasha is a love. Enjoy! Things will get better.

Iris

• Nancy in Mich
    17 years ago

Hi weed,
    I loved Zelda when icspots suggested it. It is a bit comical (like her looks), but also dignified (like her face). Sophie is my second choice for her.

Sorry to hear about your troubles with her. I hope you have some Nature's Miracle or Simple Solution. It really will save your rug. I was lucky with Casey Jones in that he did not pee inside. He did get into EVERYTHING, though. We ended up with a shock mat in front of the garbage pull-out in order to keep the garbage safe. Nothing could stay on the counters, either. I did get a counter-edge shock mat to use in case we had to leave something out. It worked fine. You may have to put up the knick-knacks until she settles down. We had to put up the kleenex box and anything else that we wanted to keep.

Best wishes for a quick adjustment!

• wooderlander
    17 years ago

Hey Weed,
    If you don't like Cupcake, how about Suri? (LOL. Just kidding!)

Getting her used to a crate is one of the nicest things you can do for her and for yourself. She'll feel safe, it'll keep her out of trouble when you're gone, it'll help with housetraining, and if she ever has to be confined or kept quiet for convalescence, she'll already be comfortable with it. Once she's used to it, she'll be happy to go in there if she gets a little treat on the way in. My dogs have the hard plastic kind because they can't chew it up and it's like a little den.

Here is a link that might be useful: we got a crate like this, on sale

• pkramer60
    17 years ago

Weed, first congrats on the new baby! It sounds like she may have some separation issues going on, so do not force her into a crate. Dogs with SA are often claustaphobic, and crates make this worse. Can you lock her in a small room, like a bathroom? Could she stay with the neighbor during the day?

Peppi

• Charlee_MO
    17 years ago

I've not read any of the other posts and the first name that I thought of was Princess! She's beautiful and so lucky to have you and your other fur babies.

• tnkrbell
    17 years ago

If she's 15 months old, that would mean she was born in June. Why not call her June? Or maybe Star since everyone seems to agree she looks like one. Orion? I've always had male animals, so I'm probably not much help. lol. My sis named her cats Hannah, Patches, and Sheba. They even have middle names for when they're in trouble. Good luck and congrats on your new family member!!!

• Nancy in Mich
    17 years ago

Weed! We need an update. How is she doing and what is her name?

• weed30 St. Louis
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I had to take her back :( :( :(

I feel terrible about it, just awful. There were a few factors, but the main thing was that Maggie would simply not accept her. I followed the advice from the shelter about how to deal with them getting along, to no avail. Maggie snapped at her a LOT, and both Maggie and Taco were obviously distressed. They were just not themselves, as if they were stressed out all the time. I won't go into everything here, but it just didn't work out for any of us :(

I wrote a letter to the shelter about what she needed out of an adoptive family. I am hopeful that she will find a good home.

• Meghane
    17 years ago

I'm so sorry weed. You did the right thing for all of them though. That was nice to write a letter to the shelter; it will help the dog go to the right home.

• sillymesillyne
    17 years ago

Oh! I'm so sorry that it didn't work out.
    I really thought about getting another dog for Toby when his littermate/brother, Tibby, died. Toby was very lonesome and sad..but I really worried about what would happen if the new dog wasn't accepted. I live in a teeny, tiny 2 room house...no room for seperation. Toby's an easy going dog, very sweet, but he's old and tired and I figure he deserves his rest. And, I, too, worried, very much, that I would find myself in the same, sad, difficult situation that you've just gone through. :(
    I really feel for you...I know you must have a very heavy heart right now.
    You gave that beautiful dog a good try...don't be too hard on yourself, Weed.
    Take care,

Silly

• eandhl
    17 years ago

Weed, I am sorry it didn't work out, you tried and at least Cupcake had an outing from the shelter. Without doubt the writeup you gave them will help find her a good home. I admire your courage for trying and for recognizing it wansn't working.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    17 years ago

I'm sorry also for everything you've had to go through. She'll find a good home and you did the right thing for your other pups.

• Nancy in Mich
    17 years ago

Oh, Weed, I am so sorry. I know that you tried everything, and Maggie and Taco do have to come first. It just wasn't the right fit for her. I hope you and the girls settle back into your old routines quickly. Give the girls a hug, and yourself one, too, for trying.
    Nancy

• weed30 St. Louis
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks, everyone. I know I did the right thing. Taco and Maggie are clearly happier, back to their old selves again. The thing that jelled it for me was seeing the negative dynamic in the house, and thinking that Taco (14) and Maggie (12) don't have a whole lot of time left, and I want whatever is left to be all good for them. I just feel so bad for that sweet little dog.

Sponsored
Home Rescue Contracting
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars14 Reviews
Loudoun County's in Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions