Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kaitikait

Need Bunny Info!!!

kaitikait
14 years ago

There is a little bunny outside of my work, and its not in a garden type area.. he tries to come in everyday so we feed him and he is very hungry.. Ive been thinking of getting a cage and supplies to bring him home and need info.. if anybody has any ideas to make the transition from "wild" to "domesticated" any easier please let me know.. I have been reading up on rabbits for days trying to find out how to best take care of this little guy :)

Comments (6)

• Meghane
    14 years ago

Best is to let him stay wild.

Unfortunately wild bunnies do not do well with captivity. Even if they seem "domesticated" they are constantly stressed, which makes them very prone to illness.

You should also check with local laws to see if keeping a wild animal is even legal.

• mazer415
    14 years ago

agreed 100%

• kaitikait
    Original Author
    14 years ago

its not even wild.. it was abandoned.. everyone in our town that gets a rabbit abandons the bunnies when they get too big.. they are pets not "wild" animals im not taking a deer.....

• petra_gw
    14 years ago

Kait, check out this website, lots of info re. taking care of bunnies from general care to housing and diet.
    Good luck with the bunny, you are a good person to help an abandoned animal.

Here is a link that might be useful: House Rabbit Society

• housefairy
    14 years ago

Depending on how long he's been loose, he may go a little nuts when he is first caged. When you first move him, put a towel over the cage to kind of isolate him. But don't cover it so much that you suffocate the animal.

At home, I would place him in a fairly secluded and quiet spot. I would also keep him out of the house until you can really check him out. Let him get used to his surroundings. As with all animals the quickest way to tame them is with food. So feed him some tops of carrots, lettuce, etc. by hand. Like all animals, if you do it consistently at a certain time of day, they will expect it and start looking for you. Also talk to him so he gets used to your voice. Depending on how he is acting I would give him at least a few days before handling/petting. Start out by trying to pet him while you are feeding him. And wear gloves, he may bite. Probably just pet for a week before you really try to handle the rabbit. With rabbits you pick them up by the scruff of the neck. But beware those back feet can really scratch. You can probably google and get You Tube hits on ways to handle rabbits.

Last thing, depends on where you live, but in the South and Midwest rabbits are kept off the ground. That's because they get "wolves" in their necks. Really don't know what they are actually called, just the term that was used around the area I grew up. This is gross, but it's basically a worm in the underside of their neck. It's been so many years I really don't remember what we used to pour in the wound to kill the parasite. You may also want to check him for fleas, mites, pinworms, and ticks before you actually bring him into your home. They used to have a powder you could put on animals for various bugs. Don't know if it's even available. Probably would want to check with a farm supply/feed store.

I've lived in the Pacific Northwest for decades and there apparently isn't a problem with rabbits being on the ground in this area. So it really depends on where you live. Maybe your local Vet or even the feed store could give you insight on proper cages for rabbits in your area.

All this talk of bugs hopefully didn't scare you into not wanting to take on this bunny. I just think you should be made aware so you will look to make sure you don't bring into your home any unwanted pests.

I used to catch wild bunnies as a child. Mainly if we were cutting hay. I would try to save them from the machinery. We also had tame bunnies. But they were all kept outside in cages off the ground. Seemed like we had more than our share of dumped dogs and cats that would have to be dealt with. Personally people who dump animals should have to spend a week in the woods, without any protection or food, and see how they well they fare. Cats do pretty well, but for the rest of the domesticated animals it just a death sentence.

• debd18
    14 years ago

My kids used to have rabbits and show them in 4H events. When you start to handle the bunny, you'll need to be very careful about how you do it. Rabbits can jump a certain way that actually breaks their neck and almost instantly kills them. This happened to one of our rabbits who tended to be rambunctious when handled and I saw it happen to others when they were picked up at shows. Also, our breeder did not like to do tattoo ID numbers for the same reason. In our case, my then 12 yo son tried to pick him up to remove him from the cage and he suddenly kicked out and tried to twist away. He died moments later.

Also, the worms housefairy mentioned are called bots. They are the larva of a fly that lays its eggs under the skin, which develops and then crawls out. They are gross and have to be removed carefully or they will release a toxin that can kill the animal. My niece's rabbit got one in a raised hutch in MD, so this isn't just a problem in the south and west, although we lived a mile from her and ours never had them. Probably better to keep them inside if possible, which also will avoid heatstroke in the summer. Good luck with him. Hope it works out.

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!