Return to the Pets Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help! Preparing my chicken coop for winter..

Posted by HazenHens (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 18, 11 at 19:29

Hello, I have read so many things off the internet and its hard to know what is best! I live in Washington State in the Pacific NorthWest, about 45 minutes south of Seattle. I got two chickens as day-olds in March and have added two since. I now have four full grown (or nearly) hens and this will be my first winter with my girls. I have a coop with attached run that is about 2 feet off the ground and has a door that can be closed. There is about 1 inch between the frame and the roof that is for ventilation. What precautions should I take? It typically stays in the mid to low 40's and often gets down to mid to low 30's in the heart of winter here, with very few days of snow. How should I insulate the coop? The highest point in the hen house is about 2.5 to 3 feet.. is this too low to hang a heating lamp? I would assume so.. dang! Well any positive comments are appreciated! Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help! Preparing my chicken coop for winter..

It sounds like your girls aren't roosting if they only have 2 1/3-3 ft of height, so if the walls are draft free and they have bedding on the floor to keep their feet warm you may not need any additional heat during the short freezing temps. Their body heat may be enough to keep them warm but it depends on the overall square footage of the coop.
My neighbor has a large coop and run, without additional heat, and her chickens were happily outside scratching around in the snow and ice we had a couple years ago (Portland).

The link below is my favorite place to discuss chickens, ducks, etc. I used to have quail and the members there are happy to share their knowledge!

Here is a link that might be useful: Backyard chickens

o

Thanks annz! Yes, we have bedding and draft-free walls! They do roost about 8 inches up. The hen house itself is about 5x4, pleanty for four birds!

o

Our winters can go way below freezing, and I have no heat in our coop, but mine is a large (about twenty by forty) poultry building. They will need some sort of ventilation in any but the most horrifically cold days you won't get there. With adequate bedding, they should be fine.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pets Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here