Return to the Pets Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Do you brush your dog's teeth?

Posted by socks12345 (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 9, 13 at 18:59

I got some dog toothpaste and a brush and try to do it. He is fairly cooperative, but I'm not sure I'm doing any good. I wonder if I could put the toothpaste on my finger and do it so at least I would have a better "feel" for what is going on in there!

I saw dog dental wipes on Amazon and wonder if they are any better.

What works best?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Do you brush your dog's teeth?

I don't, but I need to start. I've used the brushes and don't like them - my dogs aren't overly cooperative and it seems too easy to hurt them with the hard plastic handle, plus as you mention, you don't have a "feel" for what you're doing/getting at.

I've linked a google image search that show the ones I think would be great. They fit on the end of your finger and have rubber 'bristles'.

Here is a link that might be useful: dog finger toothbrush

o

i feed raw so there's no need to brush. the bones don't let tartar take hold. my dogs recently had their yearly check up and the vet was amazed at their pearly whites. :)

o

I also feed raw. My dogs' teeth are so clean they almost glow in the dark. I had a stranger stop me on one of our walks in the woods to admire their teeth - then she said, "I'm a dental hygienist, so I should know!"

Try giving a few raw meaty bones each week and see if you notice a difference.

I'm not a raw-food fanatic... but besides the tooth-cleaning aspect, my dogs seem to get a deep satisfaction over a long session of bone-gnawing. No fighting - they pass the bone back and forth for a few hours, and then I toss it when they lose interest.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pets Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here