Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kittens_gw

Is anyone contemplating a cat adoption soon?

kittens
13 years ago

I regularly read the Bengal Rescue activity and today they posted a plea for help (with permission to cross-post). I don't normally see posts for help but apparently there has been an influx of surrenders and the foster homes they have established are full. This is a group that works very hard, dedicating many hours to saving and re-homing this breed. One of their activities is to pull the Bengals surrendered to shelters and they are not in a position to do this is all areas. Of course, each and every shelter cat should find a home, but if you have been contemplating this particular breed, now would be a really good time :) :) I have 2 and I can tell you, they are really characters!! They are not only looking for adopters but foster homes as well. I'm not affiliated with the organization at all but you are welcome to email me with your state and I'd be glad to have a coordinator be in touch with you (with photos and such). My email is open if you click on "my page". If you have a friend considering this breed, I'd appreciate you forwarding the information over. I'd much rather see a rescue find a home than a back-yard breeder supported.

Our shelters and rescues are overflowing in my area (Upstate NY) with all types of dogs, cats and kittens being surrendered. The craigslist postings with owners looking for homes for their pets are non-stop. I sure hope our economy turns around soon. Many of the ads I'm seeing are due to families having to either relocate (to non-pet friendly apartments) or merging families together to save on rent/housing. Is it the same all over in your areas?

Comments (3)

• kittens
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Two offers to help in SC and Ohio :) Anyone in the KY area???

Here are a couple of links from petfinder with some available cats:

There are even two new kittens posted in the MD area:). And ahh, look at Uno in Florida, it looks like he had a tough start in life. (I really wanted this guy but I'm full and he wouldn't do well with my current cat). He's hard to pass up.

http://www.petfinder.com/pet-search?shelter_id=MD346

Here's some in the California area:
    http://www.petfinder.com/pet-search?shelter_id=CA963

Here is a link that might be useful: Breed Information from TIBCS

• petaloid
    13 years ago

I can't help, but I just want to say that the Bengals I have met have been gorgeous and extremely friendly -- I think that is typical for the breed.

• kittens
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I love my Bengals. I never had a particular breed of cat before. Some of them are much prettier than others. Once you have one though, I have to say you forget about how they look and fall in love with their personalities.

My mom lost our family cat over the summer (age and kidneys). We were thinking about doing a Bengal rescue for her once she was ready. A friend of ours (who's allergic to cats) had started feeding a stray/feral at her work for about a year. It took her that long to catch her and get her into her office. Well, she ended up becoming the 'office cat' for the past 3 months. She was very lonely on weekends and evenings but the office was better than a shelter.

She was a long haired cat (not my preference). But I went over to meet her just the same. I hadn't expected to see such a beautiful, cute cat. And her personality was to die for. So, mom has adopted her. It turns out she is a Maine Coon cat! I recognized it in her immediately. I was just reading about the breed last night. They are surprisingly similar to the Bengal cat. I can't believe we ended up with another 'crazy personality' cat! That's what I wanted for her to take her mind off her loss. I will get a picture posted of her when I get the camera up and running.

I never really thought about purebred cats before. It was interesting when I started watching the Animal Planet cat specials. If you want a particular type of personality or look, selecting a purebred is a nice way to try to match what you are looking for. All of my cats have been 'mutts' and their personalities have been a mystery until they grow.

In the meantime, have a closer look at "Uno" in Florida :)! He's got a 'pelt' to die for! And I say pelt because the Bengal has a unique type of fur, they feel very silky. If you ever get a chance to pet one you'll see what I mean. He's one big cat, too! I think he's sitting in a dog bed, lol!

Here is a link that might be useful: Who's going to take me home?

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths