Return to the Pets Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Lost Homing Pigeon

Posted by cookie8 (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 4, 13 at 18:38

We have a Homing Pigeon hanging around our place. He has tags on his legs. I figure he belongs to someone as you can get very close to him. Will he be able to survive if he isn't caught?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Lost Homing Pigeon

You need to catch him and try to either find the owner or contact someone local that raises/races them. For starters, call some feed stores and ask for some names of people who own them or follow the recommendations in the link below.

He won't survive on his own, so offer water and buy some feed.

Here is a link that might be useful: Lost Pigeon

o

If he finds other pigeons he may well survive on his own, but feral pigeons live short lives, fraught with danger.

Often those who race pigeons aren't too enthused about reclaiming lost birds, as failure to return to their loft generally means they are not great candidates for racing or breeding. But you can try, if you can get close enough to catch him. Perhaps you can lure him into a garage or shed by offering food and water.

I have a pet pigeon, not a racer but a roller pigeon (bred to perform aerial acrobatics). She came to me as a lost bird 10 years ago and has stayed. She flew onto my front porch, and then into my house when I opened the front door. I did locate her breeder and he said I could keep her.

o

Thanks. I couldn't see it anywhere today. Hopefully he comes back. We tried to approach it a few times, very cautiously. My daughter would love it if we did catch it. I will keep my eye out for it and maybe pick up some bird seed to lure it closer should I see it again.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pets Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here