Return to the Pets Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Thinning fur

Posted by lily316 (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 1, 11 at 17:32

I have four cats and know the ages of three of them but not this cat. I rescued her 8 or 9 years ago when she appeared in my yard pregnant and horribly thin. She was friendly and sweet. I put food out and opened my carriage house door and garden house for her to find shelter. After she was absent for a day, she appeared.. much thinner still. It took me two weeks to find her babies under a neighbor's porch. I put her in a carrier and got the three babies and brought them inside to my upstairs away from my other cats. I fostered them and then the two boys went to the same family, and I kept mom and lookalike daughter..both Torties. Nellie, the mom was thought to be 8 years old or so back then by the vet, so I'm wondering if this is an age thing. She doesn't have bald spots, just all over thinning and her neck looks scrawny. She has not lost weight and eats well. Is this because she is just an old gal?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Thinning fur

I have found that old cats - and sick cats - get like that. Are you sure she hasn't lost weight? That usually accompanies the scruffiness.

Have you thought of taking her to the vet?

o

Thyroid problems can cause hair loss. Has she had a checkup by the vet?

o

I checked my records and weighed them all today. She weighs exactly what she weighed 6 months and a year ago..13 pounds. And I found the year I rescued her..2002 and she was 7 or 8 then so that makes her around 16 or 17, I guess. I was glad to see she hadn't lost even a pound, but Henry now weighs 24..up from 21. Everyone else is around the same. Actually last July Nellie weighed 12.6 . She might be due for a check up to see about the thyroid.

o

lily at that age I'd just get some blood tests done to make sure she doesn't have a health problem going on. She's at an age where kidney or thyroid problems are common so I'd rule out health issues first.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pets Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here