Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cacocobird

Parrots/Birds

cacocobird
9 years ago

Anyone with birds here? I have a Jardine's parrot named Joey, who is 16. I've had him since the was four months old. He is a sweetheart, but can be very stubborn.

Comments (7)

• socks
    9 years ago

I just looked Jardine's parrot up since I've never seen one. It says they are "sweet and strong-willed," so your birdy is just doing what he's supposed to do! Can you post a picture or tell us more about him? Is he loud?

I have a white dove who is about 16 years old also. We got him when the kids were young, and they are grown and gone now. He has an outside cage and an inside cage. When it's not too cold or warm, he can be outside all night. He does not have as much personality as a parrot. We just call him "the bird."

• dbarron
    9 years ago

I had a senegal for about a dozen years. You can't change the bird, you can just learn to live with him/her.
    Mine was jealous of me...I wasn't allowed to read or talk on the phone when he was with me...at risk of being bitten. All attention was owed the bird....

• cacocobird
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Sweet and strong-willed is the perfect description of Joey. I have learned to adapt.

Joey hates it when I talk on the phone, but he is okay with reading. My daughter has a Senegal -- very nice birds.

Doves are so sweet -- I've heard they are very gentle.

Joey is very quiet usually -- but he does make a lot of noise when he doesn't get what he wants. I have learned how to avoid his wrath.

He was nippy when he went through puberty, but now he very seldom bites, and when he does he doesn't bite hard. He used to leave me bleeding. Now when he gets a certain look in his eyes I use a stick to move him around so that I don't get bitten.

• dbarron
    9 years ago

My parrot never bit (except when very young and terrible twos), except to express his displeasure when he thought I shouldn't do something (or should do something else)...it was very seldom...because I learn fast!

• cacocobird
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yes, parrots are very good at training their people.

When I ask Joey to do something he doesn't want to do, he just says no. So then I get the stick and have him step up on it, and he does.

• dees_1
    9 years ago

I have a 24 year old cockatiel. He's pretty quiet and loves the cats. He has free reign of the house but stays in his cage. If you close up his cage, he gets mad but gets over it. He's not big on being handled but doesn't mind sitting on your shoulder or in your lap. It all depends on how he feels. He's pretty laid back.

• socks
    9 years ago

Cacoo, I've had gentle doves, ones trained to sit on the finger, but "the bird" is not gentle and will try to peck the person putting seed or water in his cage. In other words, he's cranky. The pecks don't hurt. I guess if I were locked in a cage my whole life, I'd be cranky too.