Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
trtsmb

Getting rid of ticks

trtsmb
14 years ago

How do you get rid of ticks when Frontline/Advantix/etc has no effect?

Comments (9)

• roobear
    14 years ago

I think there are some heartworm medications that also cover ticks. I don't know if it would be more helpful then the Frontline of Advantantix- but you could try it.

• mazer415
    14 years ago

Either dont walk your dog in an area with lots of native grasses and bush or pick them off everyday. It really is not that big of a deal. If I walk my dog out on any trail, I do a head to toe search that night for ANY ticks or burrs or seedheads that can cause probelms, not only does this get rid of the little buggers but my dog likes the attention.

• trtsmb
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Mazer,

In our area, ticks are everywhere. The dog can walk across a manicured lawn and pick up a couple. He doesn't even need to go trail walking or run around in brush.

• trinigemini
    14 years ago

Not sure it would work with ticks but I've heard DE earth is great for all sorts of things. You can brush your dog down with it before you go out and after you come in. Just make sure you DO NOT get poolgrade as that is toxic. I believe you would need food grade. I know this works with fleas and supposedly is good to put in your house and even to feed animals to get rid of worms.

• mazer415
    14 years ago

Yes Diatomaceous Earth will help - apply on your garden. You can get it from Sakes Alive or other garden supply store. The pool type has binders and other chemicals which can be harmful to your plants. You myst reapply after a big wind or a rain storm. Good luck
    PS - I live in Northern California - tick city USA. We must be viligant and check over our dogs everyday.

• carmen_grower_2007
    14 years ago

GARLIC, GARLIC, GARLIC! I make my own dog treat using chicken, garlic (lots), carrots, EVOO, eggs and flour. She gets lots of these and isn't bothered by fleas, ticks or mosquitoes. I have never used any sort of medications for this purpose.

• Meghane
    14 years ago

Preventic collar.

Garlic doesn't work- that's been proven multiple times in multiple studies.

• trtsmb
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Garlic can also cause kidney problems in dogs & cats.

• carmen_grower_2007
    14 years ago

Well, that is interesting. I guess our ticks/fleas/mosquitoes didn't read those studies. As far as kidney problems go, our vet says that goes for cats, not dogs. He agrees with me about the garlic, BTW.