Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lfnyc

Has anyone tried 'Pet Flora' probiotic?

lfnyc
16 years ago

My 8yr old cat who I adopted from the ASPCA last July has been on Flagyl for funky BMs for almost 6 weeks. Everything is fine til I take her off the med, then her stool starts to get soft and stinky again. The vet wanted me to keep her on the flagyl a while longer before doing further invasive diagnostics to see if it is IBD, or another kind of bacteria or viral infection. I have been giving her liquid acidophilus as well. She tested negative for worms and Giardia, btw.

I just ordered what is supposed to be a super probiotic called Pet Flora (its rather expensive, but not as expensive a sonogram or painful as bloodtests and sterile stool sample extractions)so I figured I'd give it a try. I called their customer service and they were very willing to spend time answering my questions.

I was wondering if anyone on this board has had experience with this particular product? Thanks

Lisa

Comments (7)

• puc13
    16 years ago

I haven't Lisa but I'd be interested to hear how it works for your kitty.
    Best wishes for good results.

• lfnyc
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I've started giving her the Pet Flora while I'm gradually weaning her off a six week course of Flagyl. So far, so good, but its really too soon to tell. I'll have to see what happens when a few days go by without the antibiotic. Will let you know.
    L

• puc13
    16 years ago

Good luck! I'm interested to hear how it works out.

• puc13
    16 years ago

sorry, hit submit before I was done...

I wanted to say that I hope the probiotic helps, BUT, that if need be please do your best to ensure that your cat gets the tests needed to discover the cause of the problem. Blood tests shouldn't be too uncomfortable and hopefully a sonogram will not be necesary (I do understand that costs can be prohibitive.) The fecal extraction would likely be very uncomfortable... but we have to have done what is needed to determine the root of the problem, yes?

• lfnyc
    Original Author
    16 years ago

OK...After 10 days of treatment, I'm ready to give Pet Flora a cautious, qualified thumbs for solving Odessa's loose&stinky stool problem. She has been totally off the Flagyl for 3 days, after a week of gradually reducing the dosage...and is still making perfectly formed,dark poops.

Granted, this is not based on a scientifically controlled finding...but since July when I adopted her and the vet put her on Flagyl, every 7-10 days when I would try reducing the dosage, the problem started to re-occur within 36 hours. During that period I had her on a liquid pro-biotic that didn't seem to be making a difference. I definately think that the Flagyl got rid of some kind of bad stuff she had growing in there (in addition to being loose and smelly, the color was yellow even tho she tested neg for Giardia)...and perhaps the extended length of the course of the antibiotic was ultimately responsible for getting rid of the condition. But there was (while she was still on the full dose of Flagyl)a noticable improvement in her stool the day after her first Pet Flora capsule.

Her diet has remained the same...I have had her on a diet of Wellness canned chicken (very little if any dry) for well over a month.

Anyway...so far, so good, but I'm still going to reserve judgement until she's been completely off the antibiotic for another week.

L

• jaimeb
    14 years ago

I have had tremendous success with Pet Flora and I've used it on my dogs and cats for about 4 years now. I think it is an amazing product for maintaining healthy digestion, and for the prevention and treatment for gas, diarrhea and vomiting in animals. I have 2 cats and 2 dogs (a German Shorthair Pointer and a Yellow Labrador.)

Whenever my dogs find something they shouldn't have eaten; whether they get into my trash can, eat another dog's food, or steal people food, they will get bad gas, diarrhea or they'll vomit. I'll treat them at home with Pet Flora and always have great results! If we go on a hike and my dogs drink some stagnant water, I will immediately give them Pet Flora when we get home, just to make sure they don't get sick.

I will give my cats Pet Flora if I notice loose stool in their litter boxes, and the diarrhea will be gone by the next day. Since I typically can't tell which cat has the upset stomach, I open a capsule or two and sprinkle it over their dry food. The first time I gave it to them, I was shocked at how quickly I had results. I've also given it neighbor's pets and coworkers pets when they have diarrhea and its worked every time. I am a true believer that Pet Flora works and I think this is a product that every pet owner should have on hand.

• Adrianne Jaffee
    4 years ago

I have used pet flora once and it was immediately effective for diahrea