Return to the Pets Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Lost Cat Behavior - please help

Posted by kashka_kat (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 18, 13 at 15:44

Hardly recovered from losing my 22 year old calico to cancer/old age/euthanasia - now one of my 2 guy cats went missing... trying hard not to jump to grief and to keep positive right now.

His history is - he had been hanging out with ferals in a more rural area, was trapped and found to be friendly. He was in shelter for many months and became friends with Orange, my other cat, and I adopted them both about 5 years ago.

So on Saturday - he ran out the door and my approach is to not run after them when they do (or they just go off running and cant catch them) but wait till they settle down and then scoop them up at first opportunity. (Obviously, I will have to rethink this whole approach and get some sort of second door put up - but thats a discussion for another time).

Anyway there were new people moving in next door a lot of hubbub, and at one point a little girl charged after Figgy and chased him into woods/brush in back. In retrospect he really looked frightened and I wonder if he'd been traumatzied by some brat in his early years. But then... I stupidly thought, OK hes safe, I'll get him when the hubbub next door dies down. Except when I went out calling an hour or 2 later... no Figgy. He was just gone....

My question is - could he have reverted to feral behavior so quickly? missingpetpartnership.org (great site) has analysis of cat behavior based on personality, and I thought Figgy more of the clown type , a bold cat who would more likely travel. Ive been postering, I asked the neighbors about the moving van and went to check the vans the next a.m. as they were being opened. There is one garage about 5 doors down where people appear to be on vacation - Ive been knocking and getting down to call his name under the door but dont hear anything.... Still Im worried he might be in there.

God I miss him.....

Any thoughts, clues, suggestions, most appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Lost Cat Behavior - please help

I am so sorry for you: this is heartbreaking. Never give up hope because people have found pets long after they went missing. Keep up the good effort! What I've always noted is how often cats are found hanging out very close to where they went missing. Make sure you put out food and a couple of t-shirts or old clothes with your smell on them. A video camera might also help. Best of luck!

o

Revisit the area you saw him run into........the shrubs in the back yard. Set one of his litter boxes out there, along with some food and continue calling him. After 5 years of being indoors, he could be scared and hiding.
I'd also consider putting Orange in a crate and sitting in the back yard with him. His meows may draw the other kitty back to your yard.

o

Hes microchipped - WHY couldnt they have added a tracking device to locate him This stupid dumbass phone has one why not my cat something far more precious and loved.

o

I once read the KFC in a Have A Hart type trap works wonders with cats. Wouldn't cost much to try., If you try this,, don't leave other food out-you want him hungry! Another thing you try for peace of mind-set up a wildlife camera by the food bowl and you will know if he's eating from it and still nearby,.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pets Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here