Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
svs128

e-collar alternative

svs128
13 years ago

I recently adopted a dog who is recovering from a severe injury on his front pastern joint. The wound is starting to heal but licking is an issue. I currently have a huge e-collar but it smells really bad and needs to be replaced. Before I run out and buy another e-collar, I'd like to know if there are any alternatives?

Just in case it matters - he is approx 70 lbs but has a slim neck.

We've tried the Bite Not collar but he could still reach his leg.

Comments (8)

• mazer415
    13 years ago

If it smells take him to the vet to check to make certain there is no infection....they should be able to help out. Good luck

• svs128
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Mazer - the wound doesn't smell. The e-collar smells :)

• annzgw
    13 years ago

I'd take the collar off and scrub it down. Someone can watch the dog while you do the cleaning, or vice versa.
    If it's connected to his collar, replace the collar if it smells. If it's held on with gauze, ask the vet for more.

• svs128
    Original Author
    13 years ago

annz - Thanks for the reply. We've tried to clean it but the smell is here to stay! The e-collar we are currently using was given to us by the shelter and is at least 9 months old. It needs to be replaced. Before I run out and buy another e-collar, I'd like to know if there are any alternatives.

So my question is, are there any alternatives to e-collars for a dog with a leg wound?

• prairie_love
    13 years ago

It depends on the dog and how much he is licking/chewing/bothering the wound. We have had dogs with leg wounds that will leave a clean sock completely undisturbed - you could try that. If he still licks at it though, you will have to find a way to keep him from reaching the wound. An e-collar is really the best way.

• olyagrove
    13 years ago

When my Bruno had his leg and shoulder amputated, he had to wear E-collar...He of course hated it, and food got into it and made it constantly dirty
    So we improvised. Used a super clean old T-shirt and made him a mini-shirt...It covered the stitches but was not sitting too close to his body - the wound was protected and kept dry. Bruno did not try to chew on stitches after that.

Bruno with foster boy Max, who was super supportive and loving towards Bruno, while Bruno was going through recovery:
    {{!gwi}}From Max August 2008

• annzgw
    13 years ago

Good suggestion olyagrove!

Most of my injured animals did fine without the e-collar, but I hesitate to suggest you do the same unless someone is around to supervise the pet.

I've found a lot of animals settle down once the collar is removed, but that's not always the case!

• sheltiemom
    13 years ago

When Lady had surgery on her leg, we also used a very clean t-shirt. We slipped it on and then because it was way too big for her, tied a knot on the top of her back (out of the way). Looked goofy, but did the job.