Return to the Pets Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
e-collar alternative

Posted by svs128 (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 13, 10 at 15:41

I recently adopted a dog who is recovering from a severe injury on his front pastern joint. The wound is starting to heal but licking is an issue. I currently have a huge e-collar but it smells really bad and needs to be replaced. Before I run out and buy another e-collar, I'd like to know if there are any alternatives?

Just in case it matters - he is approx 70 lbs but has a slim neck.

We've tried the Bite Not collar but he could still reach his leg.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: e-collar alternative

If it smells take him to the vet to check to make certain there is no infection....they should be able to help out. Good luck

o

Mazer - the wound doesn't smell. The e-collar smells :)

o

I'd take the collar off and scrub it down. Someone can watch the dog while you do the cleaning, or vice versa.
If it's connected to his collar, replace the collar if it smells. If it's held on with gauze, ask the vet for more.

o

annz - Thanks for the reply. We've tried to clean it but the smell is here to stay! The e-collar we are currently using was given to us by the shelter and is at least 9 months old. It needs to be replaced. Before I run out and buy another e-collar, I'd like to know if there are any alternatives.

So my question is, are there any alternatives to e-collars for a dog with a leg wound?

o

It depends on the dog and how much he is licking/chewing/bothering the wound. We have had dogs with leg wounds that will leave a clean sock completely undisturbed - you could try that. If he still licks at it though, you will have to find a way to keep him from reaching the wound. An e-collar is really the best way.

o

When my Bruno had his leg and shoulder amputated, he had to wear E-collar...He of course hated it, and food got into it and made it constantly dirty
So we improvised. Used a super clean old T-shirt and made him a mini-shirt...It covered the stitches but was not sitting too close to his body - the wound was protected and kept dry. Bruno did not try to chew on stitches after that.

Bruno with foster boy Max, who was super supportive and loving towards Bruno, while Bruno was going through recovery:

From Max August 2008

o

Good suggestion olyagrove!

Most of my injured animals did fine without the e-collar, but I hesitate to suggest you do the same unless someone is around to supervise the pet.

I've found a lot of animals settle down once the collar is removed, but that's not always the case!

o

When Lady had surgery on her leg, we also used a very clean t-shirt. We slipped it on and then because it was way too big for her, tied a knot on the top of her back (out of the way). Looked goofy, but did the job.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pets Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here