Return to the Pets Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Nina - especially for you !!!!

Posted by kitasmommie (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 20, 12 at 14:37

check out the Hero Pig. I immediately thought of you.

http://now.msn.com/pig-rescues-goat-trapped-in-petting-zoo-pond

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Nina - especially for you !!!!

Saw that on the news last night and was blown away. Do you really think the pig had rescue on its mind? I guess we don't give animals the credit they deserve! Heart warming.

o

The piggy was smarter than the humans who just stood around yelling and taking pictures. I am not sure if that means pigs are smart or some humans are morons.

o

thanks for posting this, i had not seen it! i would venture to guess that the pig obviously knew the sounds coming from the goat were distress and there's no doubt in my mind that the pig took action based on that.

i have found, over the last year with my pigs that they are exceptionally smart, learn things VERY quickly and never forget what they have been taught. i'm not sure i can say that about any other pet i have had maybe with the exception of my female corgi.

just for instance, arnold was very "grabby" with treats. i sit on the bench, the 3 pigs line up in front of me (always, without fail, in the same order lol) and i dole out cheerios, one at a time. arnold would snap for his and he came close to biting my finger several times. i started holding the treat in between 2 fingers while my hand was formed in a fist. i figured that was the easiest way not to get bit by an overly anxious, very food motivated piggy. as i held the treat out in my hand, i would say to him "gennnntle" over and over. the first time he took the treat gently from my hand, i praised him and scratched his ear. it only took one or two more times of telling him "gennnnnntle" and now he is very good about just taking treats from my hand with his lips rather than his whole mouth!

as for this so-called "petting zoo", i'd love to know where the workers were when this pig dove in to save the goat. also, that sure answers the question "can pigs swim?" :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pets Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here