Return to the Pets Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pregnant Cat & Pesticide Question

Posted by pimerz (My Page) on
Fri, Sep 13, 13 at 14:20

So, I was an irresponsible mom and now Abby Dabby Doo is expecting-- a rare occurrence around here. Needless to say, I'm very excited! And all the kittens are welcome to live a good life here on the farm.

I have created a nesting area using a plastic swimming pool in our closed-in breezeway. Everything looks good, except that I killed a roach in there yesterday. I have some boric acid roach powder and thought about using that, but am unsure if it will be safe for Abby or the kittens.

Does anybody have any advice on what to use?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pregnant Cat & Pesticide Question

She's beautiful!

When she starts acting like she's thinking about weaning the kittens, *get her spayed at once*.

Cats very often come into season while they're still nursing.

If you only saw one roach, & you stepped on it, I think you have taken care of the problem!

o

most non-pyrethrin-based topicals are safe for these cats- they only stay on the skin and do not get any systemic product.

o

You're reading too fast, lzrddr:

Flea meds won't do a thing for roaches.

(I still think one stepped-on roach doesn't call for chemicals.)

o

I see from your page you are zone nine. The warmer the climate the better chance you will see them. It just comes with the territory in the south. They can come from outside, in a grocery sack, etc. I wouldn't treat for them either if it was a solitary instance but like Sylvia said, it would be squashed. Just be observant if you see their feces in hidden areas or activity when a light is made on. Beautiful cat. Best of luck to the Mama.

o

oops, sorry about that. No idea about Boric Acid... not as 'non-toxic' as I used to think... cats that walk through any pesticide, even boric acid, will lick if off their feet. Best to do as suggested for roaches.... step on them.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pets Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here