Return to the Pets Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cat can't jump up

Posted by haymeadowfield (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 20, 06 at 14:09

My cat is a 13 year old, indoor/outdoor neutered male. He was missing outside for a day and a half recently. He seems to be fine. Eats well, drinks water, uses litter box. Purrs. Except he doesn't seem able to jump on on my lap, up on the bed, etc. He wants to do it but hesitates and stops. There does not appear to be any injury to his legs or anything. If I pick him up, he's fine and has no problem getting down. Could he have strained some muscles while he was missing? How long should I let this ride? Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cat can't jump up

If he wants to jump but can't or won't then that is a sign of pain. Can't say if it's neurological, muscular, or bone pain, but somewhere he hurts. He needs to see a vet for at least some pain relief, even if you elect to treat conservatively at first with just pain control and rest.

o

I just wanted to say that my cat has fully recovered from his inablity to jump up. I just made sure he did a lot of resting and he slowly started to be able to jump up again. It started with low jumps and over time he has gotten back to normal. It took him about a month to fully recover. He's happy and so am I.

o

haymeadowfield ~

You are so wonderful for letting us know the outcome. So many times problems come up, suggestions given and then we just never know what happened.

Congrats on working to help your cat on the road to recovery!

Robyn

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pets Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here