Return to the Pets Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Why is my cat protesting?

Posted by whimzikl (My Page) on
Sat, Sep 10, 11 at 13:27

OK, here's the scenario!
We have 2 male cats..one is 8 yrs old, the other is 16. We also have a 5 year old Golden Retreiver. Everyone is living in harmony and we still are...BUT about 3 months ago, I rescued a little female cat who is about 2 years old. About a month ago, the 16 year old cat decides to do #2 in the living room...not #1, which I'm grateful for (yuck!) If he gets caught, he continues to do his thing and I clean it up! I have taken him to the litter boxes, which he does use for #1, so now I don't know what to do!! I thought maybe he'd quit, but maybe its laziness on his part. He was just to the vet for checkup and shots.. they did bloodwork and fecal tests and he's healthy. I think he's just protesting the newest member of the family.

Any suggestions (other than confining him - HA!) would be welcome!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Why is my cat protesting?

Did you add an extra litter box? He may not appreciate sharing.

o

If he'a urinating in the litter box, but defecating in the living room, he may be having pain when he poops. (Associates litter box with pain.) Are his stools dry or hard?

o

We have 4 litter boxes..cleaned daily, so I think I'm ok in that department...his stools look like tootsie rolls, actually look pretty perfect! :)

I really can't scold him..he's an OLD man and I can't put a litter box in the LR...so I guess we'll just wait for the attitude to change!

Thanks!

o

OMG! Maybe the poor thing is just going senile! Seriously though, is he doing it in the same place each time? Could you spray the area with one of those repellent sprays? Maybe put a litter box where he is relieving for the time being?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pets Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here