Return to the Pets Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Capstar Flea Med

Posted by gerry1117 (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 1, 08 at 11:25

The flea infestation in my area is extremely heavy this year and Frontline just doesn't seem to be getting the job done on my dogs. Someone has recommended I use Capstar in addition to the Frontline. This is on oral pill medication. Has anyone used it, what results have you had, can it be purchased OTC or do I need an Rx from my vet?

I have checked it out on line and found nothing regarding dangers to the dog. I have a Collie and since they sometimes tend to be more highly sensitive to certain flea medications, I do have safety concerns. I have always used Frontline on him with no adverse effects - he is also on HeartGard.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Capstar Flea Med

Treat the area, not the dog. The Frontline is doing its job, your area is infested with fleas. The Frontline IS killing off the fleas which come in contact with your dog. So go get yourself some Diatomaceous Earth (not the stuff you use for pools, that has chemical additives which may be harmful to the environment etc.) get a big bag from your local nurseryman. Go get a face mask to reduce the possibility of acciendtally inhaling the powder. Apply the powder to your yard. Walk your dog elsewhere for a couple of days. The problem is that wherever you have your dogs, there is some other animal dropping flea eggs in the area as well. As long as those other animals, be it tame or wild, you will have a flea issue. Reapply the DE after a rain.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pets Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here