Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
calliope_gw

New Canine Disease being investigated

calliope
10 years ago

The Ohio Department of Agriculture should be releasing data very soon on an outbreak of a novel disease reported by Ohio Veterinarians. There is suspicion it may be linked to a mutated form of porcine circovirus, jumping species to dogs. It sounds like a nasty one and preliminary investigations are not complete. It often presents as vomiting and loose stools but has lethal and sometimes rapid progression to vascular complications. Cases have been reported in California, clusters in Ohio and suspected cases further in the the midwest. Although dogs involved showed circovirus, it may be much like corona virus in cats, in that healthy animals may also have the virus, shed it but not progress to illness without some sort of trigger. I don't think this is a time to panic, but I definitely read up on it since I live in Ohio and want to follow the information presented, since it sounds rather nasty and may involve acting sooner on vetting an animal with symptoms instead of 'sitting on it' with a wait and see as we are often encouraged to do when we see the barfing and loose stools.

Here is a link that might be useful: Seattle Times article on novel disease

Comments (2)