Return to the Pets Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
New Canine Disease being investigated

Posted by calliope (My Page) on
Fri, Sep 13, 13 at 11:08

The Ohio Department of Agriculture should be releasing data very soon on an outbreak of a novel disease reported by Ohio Veterinarians. There is suspicion it may be linked to a mutated form of porcine circovirus, jumping species to dogs. It sounds like a nasty one and preliminary investigations are not complete. It often presents as vomiting and loose stools but has lethal and sometimes rapid progression to vascular complications. Cases have been reported in California, clusters in Ohio and suspected cases further in the the midwest. Although dogs involved showed circovirus, it may be much like corona virus in cats, in that healthy animals may also have the virus, shed it but not progress to illness without some sort of trigger. I don't think this is a time to panic, but I definitely read up on it since I live in Ohio and want to follow the information presented, since it sounds rather nasty and may involve acting sooner on vetting an animal with symptoms instead of 'sitting on it' with a wait and see as we are often encouraged to do when we see the barfing and loose stools.

Here is a link that might be useful: Seattle Times article on novel disease

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: New Canine Disease being investigated

Thanks for posting the article.

I live 45 minutes from Cincinnatti Ohio. There is an article posted in the Cin. Enquirer about this yesterday. I tried to post the link but it did not work.
Google---Pet Stop Cincinnatti Ohio tab down to find the article. This is a real nasty disease and it kills quickly.

o
RE: New Canine Disease being investigated

Thanks for posting the article.

I live 45 minutes from Cincinnatti Ohio. There is an article posted in the Cin. Enquirer about this yesterday. I tried to post the link but it did not work.
Google---Pet Stop Cincinnatti Ohio tab down to find the article. This is a real nasty disease and it kills quickly.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pets Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here