Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
friedajune

For Cats Who Are Horizontal Scratchers

15 years ago

OMgosh, I finally found a horizontal scratcher my cats love. One of my cats in particular is a real horizontal scratcher. She ignores the scratching posts, and never scratches vertically. The good part of a cat who is a horizontal scratcher is that she has no interest in my sofa, chairs, tables, etc. But she loves to scratch on my rugs and the carpeted stairs. I've tried the flat scratchers sold at Petco and Petsmart, but my cats show only vague interest. Then I came across the "Original Scratch Lounge" at a small neighborhood pet store. Eureka! It has sides, and something about those sides makes my cats want to scratch on this thing all the time, preferring it over the carpets.

I am a long-time poster on Gardenweb, so this message is not spam. I am just so thrilled to find this product, that I had to share. It's about $25, and so worth it. I've had it about a month, and it shows no wear at all.

Check out the video on the website, which shows a gray cat who just won't leave the Scratch Lounge (left side of the screen). My two cats make a game of kicking each other out of it, back and forth.

Here is a link that might be useful: Original Scratch Lounge

Comments (8)

• 15 years ago

Horizontal vs. Vertical Scratchers---that's funny!

Our kitty is a vertical, even tho' she has two horizontals in addition to her post. I might have seen the Scratch Lounge at Petco. They seem like a regular scratcher but with sides. I wonder what they like about the sides?

I might try one. Thanks for sharing.

• 15 years ago

I have a horizontal scratcher ... drives me crazy as he goes for the rug every morning. Thank goodness it's the oldest, least liked rug I have.

But I'm going to have to find that scratch pad and see if he'll go for that instead.

• 15 years ago

Hummm...looks like my Cocker Spaniel will need one as well :-)
    Looks like a great product and I'll have to get one.

• 15 years ago

I think I need to get me one of those Scratch Lounges.

• 15 years ago

This thing is a cardboard box with a 15" x 22" piece of carpet for $25. BUT WAIT, they throw in "premium grade Canadian catnip"

I am more insterested in knowing what they to do in Canada to make the catnip "premium grade".

• 15 years ago

GammyT, I understand what you are saying, and can hear you "harumphing" all the way from here. But my home's rugs cost thousands, i.e. WAY more expensive than $25, so the $25 is a great investment. Also, the inside of the Scratch Lounge is not carpet - it's a rough material that my cats not only like to scratch, but also really like to roll around in, so it must feel nice on their skin. And the "Canadian" catnip does sound silly, but it did work well to get my cats initially attracted to the scratcher, and was conveniently enclosed inside the package. I've bought the other horizontal scratchers at Petco and Petsmart - they don't have sides, and their scratching material doesn't attract my cats. They cost about $14, which was $14 out the window. The Scratch Lounge has been great, so was $25 well spent.

• 15 years ago

I checked out the site and it mentioned that Canada has some environmental qualities that produce quality catnip. Its a lot along the lines of grapes. You can't just plant grapes anywhere in the world and expect to make quality wine. That is why some areas of the world are known for producing some of the best wines, sometimes even specific types such as Cabernet . Ginzing is another example, when looking at supplements some sources recommend which part of the world the Ginzing should come from. Soil, weather conditions, sunlight, many factors can contribute to the quality of produce and I assume that is what they found when they said they looked at many types of catnip and found one grown in Canadian soil to be a high-quality and have made it their choice of catnip.

• 15 years ago

I loved watching all the cats go for the scratcher...The grey one looked exactly like my Kalley and that's just what she would do with it....I do have a scratcher that is just flat, no sides and all 3 of the fur babies put a number on it...And, we also have the round one like Sweetchastity and also find it to be a "comfortable" bed...
    I think when it comes to protecting furniture and rugs, you don't mind paying....