Return to the Pets Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
3 yr old neutered cat acting strange....

Posted by jasdip (My Page) on
Tue, Sep 8, 09 at 10:37

Hi, I'm new here, but frequent The Kitchen Table and the Vermicomposting site.

Just in the last week or so my 3yr old neutered cat acts like he wants to breed. When I'm in bed he jumps onto the bed and hunches his back and paws the duvet with his back feet. I'm terrified he's going to pee or do something else on the bed. What on earth has gotten into him? He was fixed as a baby, so he's not missing something that he used to have.

The good thing is that he doesn't try to mount my spayed female, even when she's on the bed and he's doing his weird ritual.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 3 yr old neutered cat acting strange....

I'd get the vet to check him for a urinary tract infection.

Neutered males get those sometimes, & I think maybe they can't tell what their problem is;
they just know it's somewhere "down there"!

It is very important that he get medicine;
UTIs will get worse & worse & can kill a cat.

I wish you the best.

o

Thanks Sylvia. I have an app't for him tomorrow. The techie asked if he was in any discomfort. He isn't. I brushed him and he was turning inside out as usual and loved getting his back and butt and sides brushed. So he's not holding his pee.

Let you know what the results are. If he does have an infection, hopefully I "nipped it in the BUD."

o

Hi Sylvia,
Took Bud in at 4:30 yesterday. They couldn't get a pee sample out of his bladder so they kept him overnight. DH and I felt awful having him stay there. We were there at 8 this morning soon as it opened. We knew he would have pee'd and they'd have a sample so hopefully we could take him home.
Otherwise it would have been until 5:30 before we could get him.

He does have an infection so they gave him 2 shots which will last 2 weeks. We're to take him in for a follow-up in a couple weeks. So it looks good, and he's real happy to be home! The other cats missed him too.

o

We have a three-yr. old neutered male cat that regularly mounts our 8 mo. old female (un-spayed). I think the urge is in the genes and even though he was neutered when he was 16 weeks old, the genes KNOW!!!

Also, our 3 yr. old spayed female fights with the little one constantly. The bodies remember.

o

Jasdip, I'm glad to hear that you took him to the vet and are treating the infection they found.

I hope he is back to normal very soon.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pets Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here