Return to the Pets Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
I can smell kitty pee but don't know where

Posted by phish (My Page) on
Tue, Sep 8, 09 at 10:13

One of our kitties has peed in our living room. I can smell it strongly from the living room or nearby rooms, but I can't tell exactly where. The room is mostly hardwood. I have one of those pee lights to find pee, but it seems to only work on fabric (and the spots it found on the fabric dont smell and I'm suspecting those spots are old kitty vomit spots).

How can I find where they peed? And if it's on wood, what can I do to get rid of the pee smell?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: I can smell kitty pee but don't know where

Baking soda & corn starch both absorb fluid & odors, but I don't know why your light won't detect the location.

Have you tried it on draperies?

Best luck.

o

Can you borrow a friend's dog? They seem pretty good at this.

If your wood is finished with something other than wax, you should be able to just clean it up with mild soap and water. It should be an easy clean. But cats aren't usually that considerate. It's probably on something hard to clean.

I wish I didn't have experience with this. Good luck--there isn't much worse than cat pee smell!

o

Check the walls and any floor vents you may have.
From experience, the best way to find it is to get down on your hands and knees and crawl around sniffing different areas.

Once you find it use a quality product (enzyme) made for cat urine. Most liquid household products will make getting the odor out more difficult.

o

Cats usually will go for corners. I had a confused peeing cat, RIP, stupid but lovable cat. Anything that resembled a box he wanted to pee in. Laundry basket, lid to board game etc. He always found something that looked like a box. Check box like things and also cabinets/ side tables that it could crawl into.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pets Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here