Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cindy_lou_who

Sick Bulldogge

cindy_lou_who
12 years ago

I have an almost two year old Olde English Bulldogge. She's been sick since 9-15-11 when she started throwing up & had diarrhea. I took away her food and started her on boiled chicken and brown rice. She was OK with this and after several days, I started mixing in some of her food. Once the mixture was more dog food than chicken, she started throwing up again, so we called the vet & went in. Bloodwork came back fine, electrolytes were OK, all organ functions were where they should be, negative for Parvo. Two X-rays show no blockages that he can see, and they were sent to an outside radiologist to double check. Nothing can be seen. He said to continue bland diet for about 5 days, prescribed Flagyl for her intestines which showed pockets of gas, and gave her a shot to stop the vomiting. That was on 9-19-11. So now it's 9-22-11 and we're still on the bland diet but she won't drink water. I've been adding a little to her food to keep her hydrated but she doesn't go to her dish to drink. She only poops once a day now, and it's not much. Could it be the Flagyl? Any suggestions?

Comments (8)

• annzgw
    12 years ago

You should call your vet and let him know what's happening. My dog couldn't tolerate Flagyl and even had neurological side effects to it. You don't want her to get dehydrated so keep adding chicken broth to the mixture of chicken & rice until you discuss her condition with the vet.

Since your dog was fine on the bland diet until you started adding in her dog food, I would say the dog food is the culprit. Throw out what you have and try another quality brand when you decide to put her back on dry/wet food. I've fed brands that caused my dog to vomit and have diarrhea but when I switched his food, all the symptoms went away.

• gardenandcats
    12 years ago

I bet it is the Flagyl. I have taken it a few times myself.And it gives everything a terrible terrible bitter taste. probably its making the water taste bad. Call your vets as you don not want your dog to become dehydrated.

• cindy_lou_who
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for your responses. The vet thought it could be the food also and asked what she was eating and how long she was on it. She eats Nature's Recipe venison, and has been on it for about 3 months with no issues before 9-15. Other than the above issues, she running around with her brother and playing as usual.

• Elly_NJ
    12 years ago

Flagyl is metrodizanole, commonly used and usually easily tolerated for ghiardhia.

She must drink; that, with diarrhea, can be very dangerous. Make sure she drinks, or get her back to the vet.

I would put her back on the chicken/rice diet. If she is better on that, you need to look at other brands of food.

• mazer415
    12 years ago

What is your feeding routine?? How much food? How many times a day??
    Please start mixing the water in with the food, that way you wont have to deal with a dehydrated dog on top of everything else. You can also use low sodium chicken broth

• cindy_lou_who
    Original Author
    12 years ago

They've always been fed twice a day, 2 cups in the morning and 2 in the evening. There's never been an issue with feeding before. One thing I am wondering about is the fact that she's always been a very nervous dog. Any noise sends her running. Thunder, even on TV makes her shake like crazy. The weekend before this started we took her camping, she only ate 2-3 times in the 5 days we were there. There was also a bad thunder storm the first night we were out. We were in a camper, but she was still afraid. Once we returned, it took several days for her to get back to her normal eating habits. I asked the vet if nerves could be an issue, he didn't think so. I'm thinking maybe it plays a role.

• cindy_lou_who
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Update: Around 6:30 this morning she finally started drinking water on her own after being off the Flagyl for 24 hrs, and she pooped. She's still on the bland diet, so we'll wait and see what happens next. Thanks everyone for your responses.

• gardenandcats
    12 years ago

Yep that Flagly is a nasty nasty med for humans and pets.Glad she is drinking