Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
carmen_grower_2007

Question about nutritional difference in dog food

carmen_grower_2007
14 years ago

I seem to be having difficulty finding this on Purina's website so does anybody know the difference between PurinaOne Large Breed Adult and PurinaOne Adult dog food?

I know with the large breed one, the pieces are larger, but is that all? (asking because I can get the adult at Sam's Club in 44# bags - not the other)

Comments (9)

• Meghane
    14 years ago

PurinaOne Large Breed Adult
    Crude Protein (MIN) 26.0% Phosphorus (P) (MIN) 0.8%
    Crude Fat (MIN) 12.0% Selenium (Se) (MIN) 0.30 mg/kg
    Crude Fiber (MAX) 4.5% Vitamin A (MIN) 15,000 IU/kg
    Moisture (MAX) 12.0% Vitamin E (MIN) 460 IU/kg
    Linoleic Acid (MIN) 1.3% Ascorbic Acid (MIN)* 70 mg/kg
    Calcium (Ca) (MIN) 1.0% Glucosamine (MIN)* 400 ppm

*Not recognized as an essential nutrient by the AAFCO Dog Food Nutrient Profiles
    Ingredients

Chicken (natural source of glucosamine), brewers rice, poultry by-product meal (natural source of glucosamine), corn gluten meal, whole grain wheat, whole grain corn, animal fat preserved with mixed-tocopherols (form of Vitamin E), pea fiber, oat meal, fish meal, animal digest, salt, potassium chloride, calcium phosphate, potassium citrate, Vitamin E supplement, choline chloride, zinc sulfate, L-Lysine monohydrochloride, L-ascorbyl-2-polyphosphate (source of Vitamin C), ferrous sulfate, manganese sulfate, niacin, Vitamin A supplement, calcium carbonate, copper sulfate, calcium pantothenate, garlic oil, pyridoxine hydrochloride, Vitamin B-12 supplement, thiamine mononitrate, riboflavin supplement, calcium iodate, Vitamin D-3 supplement, menadione sodium bisulfite complex (source of Vitamin K activity), folic acid, biotin, sodium selenite.

PurinaOne Adult Chicken and Rice
    Crude Protein (MIN) 26.0% Phosphorus (P) (MIN) 0.8%
    Crude Fat (MIN) 16.0% Selenium (Se) (MIN) 0.30 mg/kg
    Crude Fiber (MAX) 3.0% Vitamin A (MIN) 13,000 IU/kg
    Moisture (MAX) 12.0% Vitamin E (MIN) 100 IU/kg
    Linoleic Acid (MIN) 1.4% Glucosamine (MIN)* 400 ppm
    Calcium (Ca) (MIN) 1.0%

*Not recognized as an essential nutrient by the AAFCO Dog Food Nutrient Profiles
    Ingredients

Chicken (natural source of glucosamine), brewers rice, corn gluten meal, whole grain corn, poultry by-product meal (natural source of glucosamine), whole grain wheat, animal fat preserved with mixed-tocopherols (form of Vitamin E), animal digest, calcium phosphate, salt, potassium chloride, caramel color, calcium carbonate, L-Lysine monohydrochloride, choline chloride, zinc sulfate, Vitamin E supplement, ferrous sulfate, manganese sulfate, niacin, Vitamin A supplement, calcium pantothenate, thiamine mononitrate, copper sulfate, riboflavin supplement, Vitamin B-12 supplement, pyridoxine hydrochloride, garlic oil, folic acid, Vitamin D-3 supplement, calcium iodate, biotin, menadione sodium bisulfite complex (source of Vitamin K activity), sodium selenite.

The major difference is slightly more fiber and less fat in the Large Breed formula compared to regular chicken and rice. More fiber=more poop.
    Neither has artificial flavors or preservatives which is good. Both contain corn, corn gluten meal, and animal digest which is questionable.
    But I don't think there is a significant difference between the two.

• carmen_grower_2007
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks again, Meghane. I think we just won't worry too much about getting the 'large breed' formula. She gets way too much exercise to ever get fat. We have never even had to clip her nails because she wears them down naturally.

When I die I want to come back as a farm dog.

• Meghane
    14 years ago

Farm dogs have more fun!

• psmum
    14 years ago

Not what you were asking, but perhaps check out the raw feeding sites. (Species-appropriate whole-prey model, not expensive frozen patties + pureed veggies!)

If you have room for a chest freezer and can thus take advantage of freebies (tripe!) and bulk bargains, this way of feeding can cost less than kibble. Reduces poop volume by a lot! But it's not for everyone.

• pkguy
    14 years ago

So when you look at all those ingredients listed there really is no way of knowing if rice and grains outnumber the actual amount of chicken. I would almost guess that they do and the chicken makes up the least regardless of it being listed first.

• shroppie
    14 years ago

pkguy is correct. "chicken" is approximately 80% water. Removing the water to make kibble moves this meat much further down the ingredient list, so the true first ingredients are corn and brewer's rice, both of which are of dubious quality in dog food. With wheat (thought to cause allergies, along with corn) and "poultry"(what kind of "poultry"??..always look for named meat sources) by-products meal rounding out the top 5, there are much better (and actually cheaper) foods out there.

• pkguy
    14 years ago

Never thought of the water aspect of it I was going along the lines volume/weight.
    For example a hypothetical 15 lb bag might contain
    3 lbs of chicken
    2.5 lbs of rice
    2.5 lbs of whole grain corn
    2.5 lbs corn gluten meal
    2.5 lbs of whole wheat

giving you 10 lbs of grains and only 3 pounds of chicken
    plus whatever else.

• carmen_grower_2007
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks to those who actually answered my question about a specific brand of dog food.

• pkguy
    14 years ago

And a pox on the houses of those who dared to take it a little off tangent LOL