Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cindyandmocha

and right on the heels of Mocha

cindyandmocha
12 years ago

And two weeks ago, Rusty tore a ligament in his back leg. He is 13 yrs old and 100 lbs. The vet says he is 101 in human years.

We just put down Mocha 2 wks ago. I am really reluctant to put down Rusty so soon after Mocha but we have to do what is right and fair. Gaaaawd.... Why did we get dogs so close to the same age and size? This is killing us...........

We will do what is right, and in the meantime, I will spend more than few nights on the floor with Rusty. Two dogs gone in two weeks? Its just too much too soon.

Comments (7)

• cat_mom
    12 years ago

Oh Cindy, I am so sorry this is happening! We lost 3 cats within a 4 month span of time back in 2003 (our two older cats and our new kitten). It's never easy, but losing two (or more) in a short period is just exponentially more heart-wrenching.

Please know that many here at GW will be thinking of you and Rusty and will be sending caring thoughts.

(((HUGS)))

• homebodymom
    12 years ago

I am so sorry for your heartbreak.

• laurief_gw
    12 years ago

Cindy,

I am so very sorry for all that you have gone through lately. 13 is a VERY ripe old age for a 100 lb dog, but if you feel Rusty isn't quite ready to go and still potentially has good time ahead, there is an alternative to surgery that I wanted to let you know about. My dog, Tasha, tore one of her cruciates and both of her achilles tendons in her hind legs. After four surgeries, a lot of pain for her, and failure of the last surgery, I finally said enough was enough. I went online and found an orthopedic brace maker who specializes in custom orthotic braces for animals (he was originally a brace maker for human medicine). Tasha's been doing beautifully in her braces for several years now. The braces were very pricey, but they saved Tasha's life and gave her back her mobility with no more surgery.

If you would like to look into that option, you can check Tasha's bracemaker's website below. I wish you the best possible outcome for Rusty, whatever you may determine that to be.

Laurie

Here is a link that might be useful: Orthopets

• glaserberl
    12 years ago

Cindy,
    So sorry to hear about Rusty. Like Laurie we used a brace when Spot partially tore his ACL 5 years ago. We used a different brace than Laurie. The fitting instructions call for x-rays but our Vet felt confident that he could measure the bone length without them. Spot wore the brace for about 2 weeks and has had very little problems since. About a year after the first incident he started limping a little and had to wear the brace for a few days.

Here is a link that might be useful: Woundwear

• cal_dreamer
    12 years ago

I'm so sorry, losing a pet is devastating.

Wishing you peace in your tough decision.

• pamghatten
    12 years ago

Awww ... Cindy .. so sorry to hear about Rusty.

Big hugs from me and my critters ...

• Ninapearl
    12 years ago

cindy, i'm so sorry. :(