Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
victoria321_gw

Iam recall killed my cat

victoria321
13 years ago

My three year old cat "Squeek", a beautiful linx point manx had IBD and was totally dependant upon the low residue Rx diet. After the recall for salmonilla, which incidendially no animal contracted, he suffered from diarrhea for five weeks, was on several diets, meds, vets, ca-ching, ca-ching!

After five weeks his immune system crashed and he developed pnemonia and died yesterday. P&G didn't respond to my email for assistance either. I was shocked that this was pulled from the vets with out a back up plan for an undisclosed period of time. Has this recall affected any one else? We spent close to two thousand dollars over this and lost our dear sweet cat. WE are just gutted over this.

Comments (6)

• Anne_Marie_Alb
    13 years ago

So sorry about Squeek... I am not a Iam person, but I find very disturbing that they would not provide a substitute, especially as it was a 'prescription' diet, if I understood correctly!!!...
    Thinking of you,
    Anne-Marie

• cat_mom
    13 years ago

OMG--how awful! My heart breaks for you losing your little Squeek so needlessly.

(((HUGS)))

• calliope
    13 years ago

I had a big old male tabby with a megacolon. He was fed expensive cat food most of his life, and one day I bought some of that really old fashioned pate' brand in the standard sized can and he loved it. Not only did he love it, for the first time in years he was able to evacuate most of the time without assistance from medicines or enemas. One by one all of the local stores discontinued the cheap brands for the cute little gourmet cans with the high price tags. I started going all over the county to find the ones who mights still be carrying those two brands, and couldn't even get stores to order cases in for me.

Cats, and especially cats with medical problems, can't be switched around from food to food when you find a food they can eat and it works for them. I am so sorry to hear of your cat's situation. It just shouldn't happen.

• Meghane
    13 years ago

I am very sorry for your loss. However your vet should have known that other diets are appropriate besides the Iams formula- Science Diet (i/d or z/d), Eukanuba (EN or HA) and others all make low-res diets appropriate for IBD.

My heart is broken for you.

• sweetchastity
    13 years ago

I'm so sorry to hear about you pet! My vet also called about the recall since my cats are on it for weight loss but they told me it was a precaution only and if my pets had been eating it for the last month then they would have already gotten sick. I took the opportunity to try switching them to canned food and Dustin is being a stinker about going without kibble. He's put weight back on and I need to get a diet and routine set up and get him back on track for losing weight. My vet was supposed to get back to me about a replacement but the office never called. I wonder if a vet on the boards can give some insight into this.

• ms_minnamouse
    13 years ago

I'm sorry to hear about that. When I dealt with Iams customer service a couple of years ago when I was looking for allergy food for my dog, I found them very helpful and communicative.