Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
raven319

Cat refusing Food, help!!!

Raven319
9 years ago

I would like to start by saying that I love Neyo, he is my absolute world. Normal for him is following the family around the house, begging for food every 3 minutes, chasing my foot like it's a mouse and rolling around showing off his tummy.
Neyo started out with a severe UTI problem. He had about four before we changed Vets and had one last UTI before we discovered the power of D-Manoose and home-made cat wet food. He has thankfully not had one since.
During his treatment for the UTIs we had to give him injections at home. Pretty normal but it went wrong. For some reason, the medicine stuck under his skin and then, after a few weeks, the area the medicine was stuck in (his inner thigh) kind of opened up and became an open wound, we could see the muscle inside. We took him to the Vet (they've become a second home to us) and they stitched up his muscles and we have had to take him in everyday since so they can change his stuffing and make sure everything is okay before stitching the entire wound up. Going to the vet everyday has been stressful on him.
He was put on antiobiotics for his open wounds. We can not give him injections so he was put on a bacterial antibiotic called Hipotomic (625mg). He threw up every time he took it and he lost his appetite. On the first day I got him to eat after struggling and he was fine for the night. The next day, we took him to the vet and they gave him the antibiotic again and he came home, threw up, and wouldn't eat. The vet then changed his medication and put him on liquid medicine, Augmentin (312mg). He still won't eat.
He is in recovery so I am very worried by his lack of appetite. He is lethargic and just sits in one spot all day, barley sleeping and moving from time to time. He urines about once a day and makes frequent trips to his water bowl. Other than that, he just sits there and purrs to himself. I was wondering, can we give him some sort of medicine to open up his appetite? Why is he acting this way? I can't discontinue the antibiotic until we can close up his wound. We have been putting his food through the food processes and feeding it to him with a syringe but this morning he just threw up everything we fed him!
Please help, I am beyond words worried about my little boy. He is 5 years old and a persian white cat.

Comments (2)

Sponsored
One Source Systems
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars15 Reviews
Top Choice for Reliable Home Automation & Home Media in Loudoun County