Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
habagibi

Excessive urinating with my beagle

habagibi
14 years ago

I have a beautiful beagle that is about 9 years old. I recently noticed that she is trying to urinate A LOT. We have a doggy door so she comes and goes in the back yard as she pleases. I only recently noticed that she squats to pee for several seconds then goes to another spot and squats some more. This will go on for a good 10-15 minutes. I've tried going outside to see if anything is coming out but I really can't tell since it's in the grass and once I walk up to her she stops.

Other than this she is acting completely normal. Very healthy appetite and happy and playful as usual. I called the vet to bring her in and they said I would have to drop her off in the morning and leave her there all day so they could collect the urine throughout the day. I know this would really freak her out so I'm dreading bringing her in this Friday (the soonest they could take her). I guess I'm just trying to get an idea of what to expect and possible costs. I'll pay anything to get her well but it's going to be tough.

Comments (7)

• housefairy
    14 years ago

Sounds like the classic signs of a urinary track infection. You need to go to the vet to get some antibiotics.

And Beagles are such sweet dogs.

• trinigemini
    14 years ago

It does sound like a UTI to me too. I wish the vet could take your dog sooner. UTIs spread fast and they are very uncomfortable.

• housefairy
    14 years ago

Also, if you can get her there before she pees, then they could get an immediate sample. But probably not likely since she is having to go all the time. The reason they need to keep her is they will have to wait for her next round of urine. Ask them to give you a call when they finally get a sample and then you could go pick her up and get her away from the stressful situation.

• habagibi
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you all so much! I'm really hoping that's all it is.

Is it possible for me to collect the urine and bring it in? I'm not sure how I would do it but if it would keep her from being locked in a cage all day I'll find a way!

• roobear
    14 years ago

Yes you can, an easy way to do this is to use a heavy paper plate and place it underneath her- then pour the contents into a plastic bag.

• mazer415
    14 years ago

The vet can get some urine if they need to.

• habagibi
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Vet had a cancellation this afternoon. She felt stones in her bladder and took an x-ray. Her bladder is FULL of stones. Surgery is scheduled for Monday (the soonest they could do it). I'm so scared for her. I'm reading about stones and they sound so dangerous. Will she be ok over the weekend?