Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
elphaba_gw

Coconut oil seems to help with dog allergies and skin problems

elphaba_gw
17 years ago

Wanted to report some very positive and interesting results from giving my 10 year old German Shepherd dog 1 tablespoon of coconut oil (Spectrum organic) with her food twice per day. She also gets vitamins. She had developed a rather bad odor and I was worried we were going to have to put her back on steroids but don't think its going to happen.

I tried the coconut oil in desperation. I wanted to get her off the Benedryl which she had been on for 4 or 5 months. I didn't think that could be good for her.

I am also taking the coconut oil myself. Does seem to provide a "satiation factor" for me but lots of calories so we will see, nothing I can report about my own health but I'm definitely going to continue with this for my pup.

Background on her problems: she developed some serious skin problems apparently as a result of allergies that required steroids starting last November. I eventually got her on Benedryl, lots of Benedryl and also bathed her twice per week with medicated shampoo and was able to drop the steroids but it has been hit or miss. And an odor has pretty much stayed with her unfortunately, not overwhelming but still very unpleasant (and I'm sure for her too.)

We had an allergy test taken which didn't indicate severe inhalant or flea allergies so we have had her on a special hypoallergenic diet. She hasn't gotten worse but she started to lose a lot of weight so that was when I got desparate and felt I had to get her off the Bendryl. I read that Coconut oil can be good for a dogs skin as well as other dog problems.

Voila! - I swear she seems like she is doing a lot better. Odor seems to be completely gone and it has been 4 days since we bathed her last. Wanted to share since I know a lot of you have dogs with allergies.

I had hoped to start feeding her raw dog food and bought Bravo, some of the pre-packaged raw food with veggies. She has a history of teeth problems so I didn't want to give her bones. Well, even though I paid quite a bit for the Bravo brand raw meat mix, she doesn't like it so at least she eats the hypoallergenic kibble so got her back on that.

She will also eat raw hamburger but I'm not sure how to set up a diet for her that will incorporate other food besides just hamburger. We're going back to the vet on Friday for some more blood tests. I will ask then about the raw diet.

Anyway, she still itches a lot, and she drinks a whole lot of water so might be Cushings but she is definitely better taking the Coconut oil than not.

Just wanted to share.

Comments (7)

Sponsored
Yellowlite
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars7 Reviews
Chicago's Leading Clean Energy & Solar Panel Provider