Return to the Pets Forum | Post a Follow-Up

 o
My dog ate wood from our fireplace...Need Help!

Posted by eagles20 (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 6, 08 at 23:49

We recently cleaned out our fireplace and dumped the pile of ashes and burnt wood where we dump our grass clippings. My dog got loose outside and shortly after returning she was vomiting a black substance. Trying to go through and figure out everything she could have eaten I came up with the possibility that she ate the fireplace dumpings. She has thrown up 5 times so far each time with a black charcoal like substance? Anyone have any suggestions other than taking her to the vet? Could this harm her?


Follow-Up Postings:

 o
RE: My dog ate wood from our fireplace...Need Help!

Your dog could have poisoned herself and needs to see a vet a.s.a.p.

This much throwing up can cause all sorts of problems.

SG


 o
RE: My dog ate wood from our fireplace...Need Help!

Suggestions other than taking her to the vet?

Get her to a vet asap, or reconcile yourself to her early demise.


 o
RE: My dog ate wood from our fireplace...Need Help!

I hope your dog is better this morning. If not, you would probably want to visit a vet, given that it sounds like she ate a lot of it. Wood ash is very alkali, which could be harsh on her digestive tract if she ate a lot. If she gulped it down in quantity, she may have gotten a larger piece that is stuck in her gut.

My old lab had a weak tummy and she LOVED to eat BBQ ash. We didn't allow it, but every so often she'd get into it and nibble a little down. Funny though, it never made her throw up. When she was young we use to get charcoal dog biscuits at a local pet store; for her weak tummy and bad breath and we always figured that was why she would try to get into the charcoal and ash- to sooth her tummy. If your dog is not normally one who eats "stuff" she shouldn't, then she may have some other digestive issues that are driving her to eat things like that.

Good luck.


 o
RE: My dog ate wood from our fireplace...Need Help!

Other than taking her to the vet...I'd probably CALL my vet at a minimum... to see what they would recommend.


 o
RE: My dog ate wood from our fireplace...Need Help!

Thank You for your kind and understanding post from quasifish! To all you other responses... If you would like to come over to my house at midnight and watch my kids so I can take the dog to the vet be my guest! Some times there are good reasons why you can not immediately take an animal to the vet. That's why I tried this forum to see if this ever happened to any other pets before. FYI elly nj... She is still alive today.


 o
RE: My dog ate wood from our fireplace...Need Help!

What did the vet say?


 o
elly nj RE: My dog ate wood from our fireplace...Need Help!

Didn't even require a visit to the vet. By morning she had stopped vomiting, appetite returned and was never lethargic. They said to still cont. to monitor her for a little longer. This is a dog who also ate a whole box of tacks one time and surprisingly had no problems from that either.


 o
RE: My dog ate wood from our fireplace...Need Help!

What did the vet do after he ate a whole box of tacks?


 o
elly/tacks RE: My dog ate wood from our fireplace...Need Help!

We had to wait/watch until they all came out and then hope there were no obstructions or punctures. It was a brand new box so I new exactly how many were consumed. I just had to count them when they came out. Amazing that nothing happened to her!


 o
RE: My dog ate wood? suggestions.

My dog was trying to throw up and this morning I found her vomit and it looks like wood...and a treat I gave her. Was wondering if I should wait it out cuz I don't have money for surgery....it looked like after she vomit she was back to herself but at night she was feeling like she needed to throw up. Any suggestions?


 o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

    If you are a member, please log in.

    If you aren't yet a member, join now!


Return to the Pets Forum

Information about Posting

  • You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.


Learn more about in-text links on this page here