Return to the Pets Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cat litter.

Posted by mudlady (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 22, 09 at 23:20

I keep searching for the best odor control litter, but when I check out suggestions I find the price a problem. I use Arm and Hammer and I look for sales and boxes with "extra free" pounds. I can find it from around $0.39 to $0.45 in the larger sizes and when I get a good price I buy several boxes. What do the rest of you consider an acceptable price? I have three cats and keep two boxes.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cat litter.

I have trained our two cats to use one of those nesting-type cat pans. The top is a plastic mesh strong enough to hold the cat's weight, and the bottom is a container of the same plastic. Urine falls down through and solid stuff stays on top, where I can pick it up and flush it down the toilet. I do not use the liners sold by the company.

It took weeks of gradually decreasing the amount of litter (Feline Pine-like sawdust pellets) to fool the cats into doing without any litter at all, and things were very messy, as I had to scrub out the sawdust that caught in the mesh, but now I don't use any litter at all and am saving money and it's easy to clean out the pan, sterilize it with Chlorox, and so on. (After using Chlorox, I neutralize it, first rinsing with water, and then with a bit of a vinegar and water mix.)

I'm sure the cats would prefer to go back to the pellets, but they do use the new arrangement without "making mistakes," and things smell as good as they did with the pellets.

I keep the pan near the toilet, so it is easy to empty and rinse out.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pets Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here