Return to the Pets Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help! Swollen Cat Lip Again!

Posted by californiangardener (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 23, 10 at 23:04

Hello,
Back in May my kitty developed a swollen lip. He was given a steroid shot and I switched his food, and the lip went down and he was perfectly fine.

Unfortunately, the swollen lip has returned! It has not swelled up as big as last time, but it is definitely beginning to swell again. What should I do? I don't want to give him another steroid shot just because I know it really isn't good for his body.

Should I try switching his food? Right now he's getting Wellness canned mixed with regular Wellness dry. But maybe I should switch to Wellness Core dry?

Also, I've been doing a lot of home re-decorating lately - buying new furniture, installing shelves etc. I think that's partially stressing him out. I've been trying to keep him calmer by giving him a little Pet Rescue Remedy, but not sure if that will help with his swollen lip.

Any thoughts / opinions that don't involve steroids welcome!

And of course if it gets really bad I will take him to the vet, but I don't think he's there yet. It's just a bit of swelling, but behaviorially he is acting relatively normal.

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help! Swollen Cat Lip Again!

Could also be materials you are using while remodeling that cause this allergic reaction?
Another common factors, which you probably by now have eliminated - plastic food dishes and fleas

o

Possibly a spider bite -- wait and see if it goes down on its own since it doesn't seem to be bothering him.

o

Although a spider bite is possible, I believe the OP is referring to Eosinophilic Granuloma, since the cat has been to the vet before and given steroid to reduce the inflammation

I recently saw a cat who developed abnormally large swollen upper lip, as a result of a severe flea allergy. 3 shots of steroids in two week intervals helped get it under control, and so did flea treatment.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pets Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here