Return to the Pets Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What could this dog behavior mean ?

Posted by toomuchglass (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 8, 09 at 22:26

Poppy is a cocker spaniel mix (mutt) ...... just turned 5 .
This last week , she's been attacking her butt . I mean ---- in the middle of doing something - she quick plop and lick at her butt . It's been happening quite a bit. She is not one to let anyone examine her backside ...... but I got to her to roll over & let me take a long look with a flashlight. I know what fleas & flea dirt look like ..... I spread the thick hair all around her "pee-pee" .... her butt , her cheeks and inside her legs. Nothing. I cut a bunch of hair off her backside --- & did cut off some poop that was stuck to her fur around her butt . She's doing it way less now , but still now & then. She's never had a problem with her glands . I don't think that's it.

The part of her that is cocker - has hair that grows like wool . ( like a schnauzers legs ) I'm guessing the rest of her is Jack Russel. Short. Do you think the hair is the issue ? Thank you .

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What could this dog behavior mean ?

It is possible that she has mattes, how often do you brush her out? Could be fleas....do you use treatment? Those are the only two things I can think of. Good luck

o

Worth a check of her anal glands. I once had a dog that had her anal glands rupture.........you don't want to go thru that!

o

Possibly her anal glands. When you take her to the vet also take a stool sample. Have them check for worms.

o

The anal gland is a good idea, one of the signs of an npacted gland is butt scooting. If you see this have your groomer or vet take care of it. Sounds like a groomer is probably in order anyway, nails, brushing and anal glands once a month for about $40 and you are all set.

o

yes the fur in the groin can cause problems, usually groomers just shave it off and around the butt too. that hair can get matted, hide fleas, catch urine and around the butt poop can get caught in the fur so it's much cleaner to not have it.

something is irritating her, it could be a flea bite or other skin irritation that you cant see, or it could be blocked glands and just because her glands have never blocked up before doesnt mean it wont happen. If she had poop stuck to her butt she may just need a wash back there.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pets Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here