Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
meghan123_gw

Scared my cat is going to get hurt during a party

Meghan123
10 years ago

I am having a Party in a couple of weeks and I don't know what to do with my cat. I have had her for about 2 months now and she is not shy or scaredy or anything so I am not afraid she will be scared but she is all black and quite difficult to see at times so I am worried she will get stood on or hurt. Is it okay to lock my cat in one room where no one is allowed with her food and water bowls while the party is going on?

Extra Info: She is around 3 months old and has not been neutered yet so she can't go outside. She has been left on her own before and can amuse herself but I am just unsure about locking her in one room for a couple of hours.

Comments (7)

• cat_mom
    10 years ago

Absolutely lock her Ina room with her food, water, some toys, and her litter box. Put a note or sign on the door that the door is NOT to be opened at all (so she is not let out accidentally).

We have locked our cats up in one room or another while having work done on our home, in addition to large gatherings, and they survive it just fine. :). Just be aware that she might be antsy to get out, so if you do open the door at all (to check on her for ex.), she might try to dart out. Be sure to block the doorway while opening the door.

Also, she will be a lot safer (and healthier) if you continue to keep her indoors even after she is spayed.

• calliope
    10 years ago

I would suggest that most cats would not like the disruption to their routine a party would cause and be thankful to be away from the madding crowd. Most would hide when the house fills up with company anyway. You'll just help her to hide.

• laurief_gw
    10 years ago

I will add a few extra cautions. I strongly recommend keeping your kitten in a LOCKED room so that none of your curious guests can either accidentally or intentionally open the door. Once they know there is a kitten in the house, the temptation to just take a peek at her may be too great for your guests, and your kitten may escape from the room and get lost or injured. It may not be enough to just ask your guests not to open the door. It will be much safer for your kitten to have her behind a locked door that your guests can not open at all.

The kitten will be just fine by herself during the party. Make sure she has plenty of food, fresh water, a clean litterbox, some place soft and cozy to sleep, and a few of her favorite toys to keep her occupied.

Laurie

• jenna1
    10 years ago

I agree with Laurie on everything that she said, especially about the locked door, as well as what catmom said about your cat being kept in the house and not ever let out.....ever.

Depending on how long your party is, here's another suggestion in case you don't have a room that you can actually lock her in. Do you have a carrier? In particular, a large carrier? If so, set it up like her own little condo with a small bowl of water and a small bowl of food. Line it with something really thick and comfy and a few of her favorite toys. If it's large enough (we have a large dog carrier that we do this with for one of our cats) you can put a little disposable litter pan in as well. We've found that our younger cat doesn't use the little little pan at all, but boy does he head for his big pan once he's let out, but at least it's there just in case. (Our older cat, who's something like 20+ years old, is happy if he's on my husband's pillow and has a fan gently blowing in his face so we don't contain him, other than closing our bedroom door.)

Put her in it and put the carrier in a darkened room with the door shut. This should help her feel safe, calm and comfortable.

Hope this helps. Please let us know what you decide to do and how it works ot.

Jenna

• socks
    10 years ago

We did this recently with our kitty when we had the carpets cleaned and locked her in the bathroom. She was a little freaked out but it didn't do her any harm. She was safer locked up that's the most important thing. (She did track litter all over the bathroom, have no idea how she did it, but I guess that was my punishment for locking her up.)

If we had a party, I know Daisy would hide under the bed, but Meghan, you are not sure what your kitty will do, so it's best to lock her up. You won't be harming her.

• homebodymom
    10 years ago

I have 4 adult indoor cats. We often have friends over on weekends ( some who are cat owners, some who are not) and we put our cats safely away in the guest room for the evening ;) The kitties are happier away from the hustle and bustle, and I am more comfortable knowing they wont be let out accidently. We also do this when our now elderly parents come to visit.
    Good Luck with your party !

• woodnative
    10 years ago

I have a large dog crate with a small litter box, attached water bottle ans a small cat platform with a clean towel on top he can rest on. It is open all the time and our cat gets locked on there frequently for short periods of time during parties, if there is a workman on the house, fresh paint etc etc. He does not mind at all and walks in there voluntarily....I always give him a small treat at lockup. Works great! He is an indoor cat, found on the side of Interstate 95 as a small kitten 12 years ago.