Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
toomuchglass

How do you give your small dog a bath ?

toomuchglass
13 years ago

Here's my Poppy Girl ! She's a "cocker / mix" from the humane society . I've had her for 5 years now . I just gave her the most awful scissor cut - seems the cocker spaniel hair of her is growing out of control !

{{!gwi}}

For the last 2 weeks , she started scratching up a storm . I checked for fleas - nothing ... so I took her to the vet.

I got a substitute instead of my regular vet . I don't particular like her - but I thought this was an easy problem - so we saw her. She checked for fleas ... none. She gave me Benadryl for the itching - it's not making that much of a difference - except turning my dog into a zombie. ( I'm making another post about this ) She also sold me some shampoo to soothe dry, itchy skin. I want to try it to see if it gives her some relief.

Here's my situation . I've NEVER given Poppy a bath ! Never ! She's always been clean - her fur never smells - after being out in the rain - she comes in fluffy & soft.

I'm wondering how you bathe a 29 pound dog. In the bath tub ? My problem is - we don't have any way to hook up a hose to rinse her off. Do you think the outside hose water would be too cold ? I'm at a loss as how to do this. I need to have a good experience for her , since this is new to her . With the old fashioned fixtures in this house - I just can't buy a snap on hose. Any ideas? How would you do the rinsing ? Any suggestions would be appreciated .

Comments (7)

• debd18
    13 years ago

I use a laundry tub now to bathe my dogs, but I used to use the bathtub. I would put a towel down in the tub first to keep them from slipping and to prevent the tub from being scratched. Then I'd use a cup to pour water over them and rinse them off.

You might try some fish oil for the itching. It helps a lot with allergies. I know what you mean about the zombie effect from Benadryl, but it helps them through the discomfort until the fish oil takes effect. That will take at least a couple of weeks, but I don't mind using it on a temporary basis to give them some immediate relief.

• murraysmom Zone 6a OH
    13 years ago

I have a 20 lb. schnauzer and I give him a bath in the bathtub. Definitely put a towel down for her to stand on, so she won't be afraid. I use a plastic pitcher (like for lemonade) and fill that to get him wet and rinse him off. Just make sure you rinse really, really good or that will cause her to itch.

• pekemom
    13 years ago

I give my 23 pound (big) peke a bath almost every week in the deep kitchen sink. It's easier on my back than trying to get him in the tub or shower. There's a spray attachment on the sink so it's easy to rinse him too.

• sylviatexas1
    13 years ago

forgot to mention oatmeal shampoo on your other post;
    you might try that.

Cute dog!

• jackieblue
    13 years ago

I use a bowser blaster.. ha ha Sounds like something big and powerful but it is really just a garden sprayer filled with a shampoo and water mixture. I use the ortho dial-n-spray. Works like a dream. And I've found that many dog groomers use the same thing. Unless you're somewhere that is already cold you shoudn't have any trouble with using a hose outdoors. I will probably take my dog in for a bath once or twice this winter but I will never pay for a bath again in the summer when I can hook up my bowser blaster and wash his just as well as the groomer. My dog seems to enjoy the spray too. Obviously, only use a new sprayer and keep it for dog use only.

• brownthumbia
    13 years ago

I too have a laundry tub, set it in the bathtub/shower and use the shower head to give them their baths. They really kinda of enjoy it...at least it looks to me like they're liking it!!! I bought the tub because I have some back problems and it was easier to use that than to kneal down next to the tub. BTW I have 2 Bichon Frieze's so they are 17 and 20 pounds.

• yacheryl
    13 years ago

I too give my westie - 17lb-er and bath in the sink.
    She streaches over both sinks!
    The groomer said to use Oatmeal shampoo on "hair" dogs
    and said to wear a cotton garden glove - the knitted
    kind with the little bumps all over the palm.
    I hold on to her with my lefthand
    and and scrub away with the right gloved hand.
    It works great!........cheryl