Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
loralee_2007

How to approach neighbors re: horrendous dog poo smell?

loralee_2007
11 years ago

I'm sorry if this post is long, but I'm trying to give you as much info as possible as my husband & I disagree on how to deal with this.

New neighbors bought the house next door (city, not rural)last year. They have 2 small children (4 & 5 years old, with one on the way) and a small pomeranian dog (cute little guy!).

My computer area where I work, looks right into their backyard from the window. Ever since they moved in, they have trained their dog to poop/pee on the side of their house (not the backyard, the side of the house abutting ours), but I have never seen them pick anything up.

I initially "assumed" they just picked it up at a time when I wasn't necessarily at the computer, but about 3 months ago they had other children over who ran near to that area and the wife neighbor (horrified) exclaimed "no, no you can't go there. That's the poopy area!"

I wouldn't really care since it IS their property, BUT, when it gets hot & humid, OMG, it really really stinks! Compounding the problem is that we are already committed to a major side-yard renovation next year that butts (no pun intended) against the part of the property where the pooch poops (divided by a 6 foot fence). We're putting a pool in the back, then a patio in front of that, then an outdoor kitchen that is right next to the poop area. How appealing will that be to smell that while cooking, or relaxing? I'm not looking forward to spending $70,000 and not being able to use our space.

Solution?:

Me: We don't know these people other than occassional hello's over the fence. I would prefer to report it to the city as a sewer issue and let them figure it out and notify the homeowners.

Husband: Says this is disingenuous (which it is, but saves neighborly relations IMO) and is worried they might be fined or worse. Says we should discuss it with them, but neither of know how to approach them that essentially says, pick up the poo because it stinks! Both of us are very straight-forward, pull-no-punches kinda people, so I'm not sure this would work and I'm afraid our approach would (in our minds) be ok, but would cause problems after our delivery.

What would you do? Do you have any comments what our rights are?

Any suggestions on the correct or best way to approach this would be GREATLY appreciated!

Essentially, spring & fall we can use our yard - but as it is currently, summer is out of the question. We haven't even invited people over this year because it smells so bad in the heat.

Thanks for your help & opinions/advice.

Regards,

Lora

Comments (82)

• Debbie Downer
    8 years ago

Well OK, that's true, but I wish people would read them and then start a new conversation with people who are on the forum now, at this moment in time.... instead of some ghosts from long ago. Who knows what's happened to them!

• socks
    8 years ago

But, then all the information presented would be lost, and much of it could be worthwhile. When people have issues, it's good to read as much as possible, old and new. Just my 2 cents...

• leslierebner
    8 years ago

Have the same issue with our neighbour. Talked to them 3 times and no resolve so we phoned the city and there is a nuisance bylaw. We are going to be placing a complaint. The smell is horrible....

• Bossy vossy
    8 years ago

What if you invited neighbor to your house on a day that smell is particularly offensive so she can smell for herself? Then, in your kindest tone tell her how bothersome it is and BEG her to p/u waste or discourage pooch from eliminating on that spot. A decent and considerate neighbor should respond positively to this approach

• tete_a_tete
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

'Solution?:

Me: We don't know these people other than occassional hello's over the fence. I would prefer to report it to the city as a sewer issue and let them figure it out and notify the homeowners.'

Sorry, but that is not the way to go. I just have to say that right now.

• tete_a_tete
    8 years ago

I agree with your husband. And it wastes people's time and, after a time, people will realise that you have been this way and they will not like it.

But I see your dilemma. I am also a straight talking person. I like vossner's answer but how to execute it without going off the deep end by mistake (in one's tone) is the tricky bit.

There should be a service where you can Hire a *Husband/Wife for a few minutes to deliver the awkward message very nicely, in person, to the 'offending party'.

• japus
    8 years ago

"A decent and considerate neighbor should respond positively to this approach"

A decent and considerate neighbor ? we wouldn't have the problem if that was so !!!

• Bossy vossy
    8 years ago

here is a story for you: I had a big, black lab that apparently terrorized neighbors who walked past property. We got HOA letters and even a couple of nasty notes from neighbors that were intimidated by my dog. Since I never say him "in action", I was sure they had confused my dog, were overreacting, etc, etc.

When I read the unfriendly letters, all that stood out was the hostility/rudeness of the message. My response was to completely disregard the letters as well as any possibility that my dog was indeed a terror to others. It wasn't until a clever neighbor stopped by my house one day, with her toddlers. She identified herself and her kids. My dog immediately approached them (well behaved b/c I was there, I'm sure). She greeted my dog and invited him to sniff her and kids. Quite casually, she mentioned to me how my dog acted in past strolls as if he wanted to eat them. I was embarrassed and mortified. I realized I had been inconsiderate and insensitive to my neighbors' plight. Not on purpose, but it was, what it was. I was a jerk of a neighbor, as far as dog issues were concerned. I installed an electric fence within a week and problem was solved.

I'm not suggesting you should respond only to people who speak to you in sweet tones, but there is much truth to the saying that you catch more bees with honey than with vinegar. My neighbor's kindness worked on me, hence my suggestion. Having said that, if there are other irritating issues between you two, it might be too late to use sugarcoat approach. I hope whatever route you go, that problem is resolved.

______

I have also gone the route of reporting an annoying neighbor to HOA. The complaint was justified, she got in trouble and luckily corrected herself. But guess what: She hasn't spoken to me in years. We have a lot in common and I can't help but wonder whether, had I used a sweet/friendly approach, if we wouldn't bee BFFs. Live and learn.....

• Bossy vossy
    8 years ago

rats! I just realized this is a old thread

• User
    8 years ago

still a great live and learn story that could easily help someone looking for advise in the here and now Vossner, thank you for sharing!

• tete_a_tete
    8 years ago

Yes I only just realised too. Sometimes it is not easy to notice the date.

• morgan_1096
    8 years ago

I know that this post may be seasoned but I am wondering if
    there was any resolution. I have a
    similar issue but have already discussed with the neighbor on multiple
    occasions. Seeing that this is the
    suggestion of most people I wanted to know what options they suggest when and
    if that option fails. He has two large
    pit bulls. What makes it even worse is
    my property is directly East and the smells filter through his chain link every
    time the wind blows. Or even in dead air
    if you are within 15 ft of the fence line.
    But even more concerning is that since they only go along my fence line,
    they continue to track through it and then in his house plus his toddlers toys
    and play set is directly next to the affected area. When he does finally mow his yard, he will
    just mow over it and smash it into the ground.
    Listed below are the conversation attempts.

First attempt was when we were having people over for a
    cook. Tried to kill two birds by letting
    him know of the smell and asking if he could do something and also inviting him
    over to the cookout. He neither fixed
    the issue or attended the cookout. Then
    some months later, we were discussing an unrelated issue and I again nicely
    asked that he pick up because he had yet to do so for the entire year to date. The last attempt was a little more straight
    from the hip when he was outside grilling.
    I asked if he would ever get to the dog mess because I would like to
    grill on occasion also.

He has lived there for 2+ years now and the only break we
    get is when the ground freezes...

• Rocio Garcia
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

I've been having this problem for 2 years already....I think I've had enough, I'm beyond pist off!!! I've politely asked her so many times in the past and she just thinks I'm trying to fight her...just today the smell seemed even more horrible. There are piles and piles of poop and all the smell comes into my living room, and when it gets hot out its even worst....I'm now pregnant with twins and I also have a 3 year old, if we wanted to come out into our front yard we couldn't because the smell is unbearable...we've even asked people that pass by if they smell something funky and just like we thought they do. I'm just so fed up, I've been more than nice and she just doesn't care. I got into it with her today for the same thing, and my husband even offered to clean up and she said " i will clean my yard whenever I want" and starting accusing me of not being a Christian and loving Jesus. Whatever that has to do with it. So where can I go to put a complaint...because I have tried everything from writing letters to approaching her from time to time and she just gets really offended and doesn't understand no matter what I say. Like I'm the bad person here. She's defenitly very uncooperative. I was thinking of going to the city and making a complaint. Just not sure if that's where I should go. I don't care if the neighbors know it was me and my husband that made the complaint. They seem not to like us ever since anyway. I just want to put and end to it.

• japus
    7 years ago

Her church pastor, ( since she mentioned Jesus). Local municipality, police, local / state board of health, Local attorney, nearest gun shop.

• elpaso1
    7 years ago

City code enforcement.

• Marigold Flower
    7 years ago

Like many here I tend to make formal complaints as any form of confrontation seems to offend easily... when a man at the back started using a crowbanger up to 24/7 I did write to him to no effect, then got the environmental health who dismissed it as a "neighbour complaint " which made it worse as the man was highly offended .. I had ear infections all year with wearing ear plugs and my nerves were in shreds. Then apparently someone else made a complaint and threatened court and this year no problem ... And when a boy racer used to use the narrow road as a race track I went straight to the Gardai.. It is time this is sorted! All cannons need loading, Maybe the threat of a private court action? Solicitor's letter?

• murraysmom Zone 6a OH
    7 years ago

Marigold, I am very much enjoying your posts, but I must ask what is a "crowbanger"? I "googled" it, but got no response. I'm assuming something that makes a loud noise but can't fathom what it is.

• SaltiDawg
    7 years ago

I got 754 results using Google????

• murraysmom Zone 6a OH
    7 years ago

OK, so..........what's the answer? Google is in parentheses to show that I didn't actually use Google. I used another search engine and got no response that made any kind of sense. OK?

• Marigold Flower
    7 years ago

A crowbanger is an automatic bird scarer.. They leave it in the field, and set it to explode like a loud gun at whatever interval they choose; runs on bottled gas. Then the walk away and leave it.... So every few minutes or whatever, sometimes every 30 seconds, there is cannon When I complained, the man started leaving it on 24/7 out of sheer spite and although I quoted the relevant legislation re noise pollution the local authority would do nothing. This was a bout 300 yds from my house... I had then a collie who was thunder and gun phobic...Ireland is very backward re this kind of thing. NB the birds get used to the crowbanger very quickly and are seen perching on it.. lol....

• murraysmom Zone 6a OH
    7 years ago

Ahh, thanks for the explanation. I can't imagine how you can possibly live with something like that!! What a jerk and it doesn't even work after a while? Yikes! And your poor dog. I sure he was a nervous wreck. I would be. Thanks again for the explanation.

• Marigold Flower
    7 years ago

murraysmom; many thanks and indeed collie was a wreck. She was very old and died last autumn but had some peaceful time. The man averred he was losing lambs to foxes. My landlord farms nearby and said he was simply chasing the fox to HIS lambs.. Lovely tranquil peaceful area high in the Kerry mountains but some of the people! And nothing gets done unless you make a real fuss.

• murraysmom Zone 6a OH
    7 years ago

Marigold, I had the very greatest of pleasures to visit Ireland in 2007. We landed in Dublin and took a wonderful bus tour along the southern route to Waterford, Cork, Killarney, Dingle, saw the Cliffs of Moher, Ennis and ended our trip in Limerick. By chance were we anywhere near where you live? It was so beautiful there and the people were so nice. Two of my favorite things were to see the Book of Kells in Trinity College in Dublin and the Ring of Kerry!! What a gorgeous place that is!!! I loved the trip so much. I have lots of pictures from that trip and it's great to see all the wonderful sights again.

• Marigold Flower
    7 years ago

murraysmom; thank you. I live very near the Ring of Kerry road, on the way to Killarney and Killarney is very much my home town. The beauty is awesome and I open the back door of the old farmhouse I rent on to the mountains. Love the Dingle peninsula and did you get to Mizen Head?I do a little guide work for folk I meet online etc and know every inch of the place. I have to say though that the Ireland you visit is NOT the Ireland we live in!

• murraysmom Zone 6a OH
    7 years ago

We loved Killarney and I know we are seeing your country through our tourist's eyes, but it is such a beautiful country with wonderful sights and places to visit. I don't think we went to Mizen Head. A reason to come back some day!!

• Marigold Flower
    7 years ago

Smiling here. I still trade at a street market ( I have distant family working overseas at the cola face of human poverty, rescuing newborn babies from rubbish heaps in India and being old and disabled cannot do work like thta but i can knit and sell the work ) and love meeting the visitors who see this beautiful land through fresh and eager eyes. I email tour guide routes to friends and the Mizen Head is one of the best so please come again and we can meet . We are in a heat wave now and the scenery brings tears Sorry; we are way off track here!

• murraysmom Zone 6a OH
    7 years ago

True, we got off track, but in a much better direction!! I hope I can come back there one day!!

• Marigold Flower
    7 years ago

We are in a rare heatwave; not a hint of cloud and temps up to 23. .. Been sitting out with the dog and the outdoor feral, roasting with the mountain backdrop.. Near Moll's Gap and the scenery is awesome. Too hot to stay out but ...

• trancegemini_wa
    7 years ago

"We are in a rare heatwave; not a hint of cloud and temps up to 23. .."

are you serious? 23 in Ireland is considered a heatwave? We get temps of mid thirties to mid forties across summer that are sweltering and it doesn't let up for months on end. we consider it a heatwave if it stays up in the high 30s-low 40s consistently. Honestly not trying to have a go, just stunned at what you said.

• CTA Kromer
    7 years ago

My wife and I just purchased a town home and we are having this same issue with our neighbor to the right. She is single and has two full grown, wild, loud barking pit bulls. The barking I can deal with, but she uses her back yard solely as the dogs bathroom. There are piles of poop that sit out there for days and whats even worse than the poop is the horrible ammonia stench of the dogs urine.

We just spent thousands of dollars on landscaping and stone work on our patio and hoped to enjoy some outdoor time but due to the smell we have been unable to. Summer is in full swing now and on these hot days the stench is amplified and blows right through and up over the wood fence separating our small yards.

The neighbor has never even said hi to us since we purchased the home. It is like she averts her eyes and purposely avoids us (probably just her personality). She does not seem very friendly at all. The other neighbors have not spoken with her either. She apparently is a renter and just moved in a few months before us.

I contacted the HOA today and they are going to send her a letter giving her 5 days to clean the yard. They won't reveal their sources and the letter will state "that during a recent visit they noticed..." Also, they were already planning site visits this week so hopefully she figures the HOA discovered it on their own.

We feel that due to the close proximity of our properties that this is unacceptable behavior. We've never once seen her take either of the dogs outside for a walk in the month and half that we have lived there.

• Marigold Flower
    7 years ago

... transgemini.. only just seen your post! We are a cool temperate climate so into the 20s is high here Look at how far north Ireland is.. I would melt where you are and you would shiver here.. each to their own. Heard the same as you said at market this week. Not offended by the way!.

• Marigold Flower
    7 years ago

CTA well done for tackling this. Horrendous problem, Here in deep rural Ireland I get three breathless days now and then when they spread raw slurry near the house so I know the feeling. Please, let us know how it goes and hopefully? Just a thought but have they also contacted the landlord? He really needs to be informed what is happening on his property surely? ineneedsl

• trancegemini_wa
    7 years ago

"I would melt where you are and you would shiver here.."

as I get older the heat bothers me more and more and it takes forever for the temps to come down at winter. Think I would rather shiver than deal with our heat sometimes :) (my dogs struggle with it too).

• Marigold Flower
    7 years ago

trancegemini... Ireland is not just cool but damp. It is after all one huge bog... All the houses tend to be damp.. But yes, I would hate the climate where you are. After all we can add a sweater ....

• Sharon Numnut
    7 years ago

wow, this is close to our situation. New neighbors that moved in a few weeks ago and they have one dog. They have the dog poop on their property and its very close to our house. We live in FLorida so you know how bad the smell with be this summer. I don't plan on calling the authorities but I do plan on speaking to them. They mentioned it to us the other day that they were going to pick it up but havent so far. I think they will when they cut their lawn but if they don't then I will say something and see how it goes

• CTA Kromer
    7 years ago

We got lucky. The renters that lived in the unit next to us moved so we won't have to deal with that odor for another summer.

While they were there we had to ask them a few different times to clean it up. They would, but the next day the problem would start all over again. Even after they moved the smell of the urine lasted for weeks.

Looking forward to some odor free days in our backyard this summer.

• labmwcar
    5 years ago

I too am pondering the same issue dog poop that involves two large dogs. These neighbors live around the corner on the next street. Our backyards meet but are separated by a four- foot fence, I have had to cover with a bamboo 6 ft fence. They still poop near my patio area. I have thrown vinegar at the fence and in their backyard, not only did I encounter the smell but the huge flies that came with it. Sorry, there is no talking when people have pets and they know they should clean after them. I called the code enforcer in my subdivision to talk to them. The smell is bad enough but to be exposed to their flies no thank you!

• Karina Monterroza
    4 years ago

Omg same here my neighbors dog is right next door to my lil patio. I can't even grill smells like feces and urine it's full of flies. How to deal with this problem? My 3 small kids can't even come out

• SaltiDawg
    4 years ago

Have you even read thru this years old thread before posting?

• Audra Lebeau
    4 years ago

Why? Read it all I scroll to current

• Audra Lebeau
    4 years ago

And yes my neighbor has 4 dogs and it’s a health code violation the sad thing is it’s bad for thier kids and Dogs but I’m done being nice guy it takes 6 calls and it’s one and done

• Audra Lebeau
    4 years ago

I called the police, and you have to call code enforcement

• SaltiDawg
    4 years ago

Huh? lol

• Anthony Ngobeni
    3 years ago

My neighbor has 2 dogs next to our kitchen The smell is unbearable and it brings flies

• HU-371426756
    3 years ago

These people moved in I would say during the winter and they have two dogs they never pick up the pool they put up a swimming pool they emptied it it's still has water in it as drawing flies the dog goes in there and licks the water out the water is green they poop around the pool that has little water in it I can't open her windows on that side of the house because when the wind blows that's all you can smell is poop and pee there's leaves branches bags of leaves on the side of the house that they won't get rid of the person that comes over and does our lawn he asks them to take their trash they have two vehicles I don't understand why they can't do them they cut the grass once a day but they only do one part of the time I don't know what's going on there they don't own the house they rented so I think something needs to be done

• lily sherwood
    last year

I have a similar issue. They have a big German Shepherd dog that is maybe 12 ft. from our house and they tie the dog to the wooden post near their garage/ side area / driveway and our house are close in proximity too approximately 12 ft or so. They have a fence in backyard but still would not let the dog do its business in the backyard that is fenced. We have to see and smell it everytime we walk out of the house or when my kids play outside & i am always worried a ball will roll over there onto the dog poop. The smell hits bad when it is hot and humid. They do not pickup dog poop daily. Some days there are piles of 4-5 big poops all around that area that the dog is tied to a wooden post. I am not sure what to do. We have endured it for 10-11 years now. We also dont want bad blood with them but i am also quite frustrated.

• Ninapearl
    last year

check your state regulations. many states have regulations/laws that dictate how long a dog can be tied out. of course, enforcing such things is always a problem but it can't hurt to report them to the proper authorities.

i have 2 great danes. i go on poop patrol at least twice a day. i can't even imagine not doing so. i live in the country and have no neighbors but i sure don't want that crap tracked into the house nor do i want to have the lingering stink!!

• Kate
    last year

Years ago when the market was low a letter went out to everyone in our community with suggestions to spruce up your home without pointing fingers. In it were things like if you have a pool and aren’t maintaining it perhaps it’s time to fill it to avoid danger and mosquitos, perhaps straighten your mailbox, cover garage windows that reveal a messy garage, trim your shrubs to deter thieves, etc. It really helped and people acted on it as a way to keep up property values.

• Ana William
    last year

Just called the police and social service, because that is a danger for his kids

• Carolina Rodriguez
    last year

What happe to the poo smell? i have two medium dogs and we have a dog run/bathroom at the sid eof our house. old house and again at our new house. we had different levels of pebles of diffe sizes to help drainage. we would not leave poo more than a cou hours but usuall picked up as it happend and sealed in a compost container that is meant to keep smell trapped.. but the pee is a probem. we would use baking soda all over and then spray water. Luckily it wasnt near my neighbours used area. But still i felt bad. our garbage was picked up every two weeks but the compost container really sealed the smell. The baking soda worked but needed to bough in bulk. our dogs refused to go pee/poo on their walks. they would save it for the bathroom when they got home. even if they did tinkle when out, they’d go straight to their bathroom when they got home and finish the job. also laying fresh rocks helped but picking up, spraying down and a lot of baking soda is necessary. and you cant have it near a well used area.