Return to the Pets Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Please Help - Dog Walking Issue!

Posted by laney4 (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 24, 09 at 17:38

My dog has recently been constipated so he's scared to go on walks, which just makes the pain worse when he finally goes. He is so stubborn, and will start screaming as soon as I yank on the leash to take him out. Please please help!! Also, he'll walk fine at other people's houses, like my dad's and grandma's, but he associates our house/neighborhood with constipation I guess and I really want to get him to not be scared anymore!! HELP. thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Please Help - Dog Walking Issue!

Why is the dog constipated? Is there some kind of stool softener you can give to make it not hurt so much. Has it been to the vet?

o

If he is still constipated, feed him some canned unsweetened pumpkin. (NOT pie filling, just the plain stuff.) About 1 tablespoon per 20# of body weight. Works for constipation AND for diarreah. (not sure how it works for both, but it does.)

As far as getting him to go out, relax and don't yank on the leash. Try to coax him with treats and use your high pitched happy voice. Or, if he goes in the car willingly, put him in the car, drive a half a block, then get out and try getting him to go for a walk.

o

Please take your dog to the vet, he could have a blockage or another issue. Trouble going #2 may not be that your dog is constipated. And please stop yanking on your dog...it is unneccessary.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pets Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here