Return to the Pets Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Dogs and frogs

Posted by debbiep (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 15, 10 at 17:09

Annabelle the black lab puppy that we kept which is 4 months old now is not doing so well on learning commands(just a refresher I'm in a rural area and there is no obedience classes)she knows her name well and she is learning sit but only will sit if I have a treat for her.She really needs the leave it or drop it command learned.She will not leave frogs alone,does not respond to her name when a frog is around.She has been squirted by them and been foaming at the mouth twice.I hurried her to the tub and washed her mouth out and she was fine.How do I break this habit?I'm thinking of having a squirt bottle filled with something and giving her a squirt of it preferably in the mouth when she is messing with them.I'd like her to associate the squirt in the mouth with the frog and leave them alone.Something not good tasting.Will listerine hurt her?I'm thinking of that as my bassets hate the smell of listerine as I've used that on a rag to freshen them up when they roll outside.By the way I got that tip here from someone several years ago.Any tips for this probelm?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Dogs and frogs

I think your dog is getting ahold of toads and not frogs. Toads secrete substances to make them distasteful. My dog just discovered toads last week. My husband brought him in from a walk outside and deposited him at my feet with the command "you need to look at him". LOL.

He was foaming at the mouth and shaking his head. I washed his mouth out and he was better directly. But, I live in an area where there is no danger of him getting a potentially lethal toad. They are out there in certain localities. I think he'll leave them alone from here on.

OTOH, my dear old male tabby always forgot over the winter what happens when you bite a toad. As soon as it warmed up each spring, he'd eat one, barf and drool and be sick for awhile and he'd be cool the rest of the year. But, we did the dance once each spring.

o

I think calliope is right;
the taste of the critter itself is bad enough that the puppy will learn.

I'm afraid if you squirt something objectionable into her mouth, it would teach her to avoid you when she has the problem *rather than to avoid the problem itself*.

Puppies are fun, but thank goodness they grow up before they destroy the universe & run their mommas nuts!

o

Thanks,I'll research and see if the lethal ones are in Ga.I don't think she is going to learn her lesson from the taste.She has been squirted/sprayed several times with recently being the worst.I see her outside messing with something then she starts shaking her head and I go to get her and see the toad.
Your are right Sylvia,somedays I wonder what I was thinking by keeping a puppy!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pets Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here