Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cas66ragtop

Anyone had a problem with 'DreamBones' dog snack?

cas66ragtop
11 years ago

Has anyone had any problems with a dog snack called "DreamBones"? I bought them at Martin's Grocery Store (a.k.a. Giant). They are supposedly a healthier alternative to rawhide. They are supposed to be 99% digestable, and instead of being made of rawhide, they are made out of plants (mainly kelp), and had a chicken filling.

I gave this to my 3 yr old dog who is strong as an ox, and has never had any medical issues - and within 30 minutes of consuming it, he went into a seizure. It scared the crap out of me, I thought he was dying right in front of me, and there was nothing I could do to stop it.

Then about 10-15 minutes after the seizure, he was back to normal. He went outside and had a normal bowel movement, and dinner later in the evening and had another normal bowel movement, so that told me he didn't have a blockage. I can only assume there was something in the ingredients that he had a severe allergic reaction to.

I checked all the ingredients, and there wasn't anything out of the ordinary that would have been harmful - the ONLY thing I saw that he is not normally accustomed to was kelp and chlorophyl. I looked all over the internet to see if DreamBones had any complaints, recalls or lawsuits, and found nothing.

I know seizures can also be caused by epilepsy, brain tumors, tick bites, and other toxins. I just found it highly coincidental that this happened so quickly after consuming this particular pet snack, which he had never had before. We monitored him closely over the next 24 hrs, and he is totally back to normal, as if nothing ever happened. We threw these snacks away and will never use them again. We will continue to pay careful attention to him, and if it happens again, we will then be faced with taking blood and urine samples to check for other issues. I really hope that the DreamBones was our actual problem, and this never happens again.

Comments (463)

• HU-33133551
    2 years ago

i agree and maybe just a little white rice and boiled chicken breast to sooth his stomach if he wants it and of course no more dream bones. What is so crazy about this product is can do many things. Some dogs is causes a toxic reaction and with others like my sassy it moved through her intestines and left holes which could not be repaired,

• HU-678507806
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

Tonight a dreambone got stuck in my 9 year old Pomeranians throat for the 2nd time , i wasnt sure the 1st time if that was the issue so i now know it is definitely the bone. She has never choked on anything before. I had to give her the heimlich & thankfully i got it out but it was very scary! Never buying these again!

• HU-345885400
    2 years ago

Hi! today I got this dreambone from target, and my siht tzu was so quiet more than normal, but after some minutes this things started giving him a lot of energy, as if he had gone crazy, he would not stop barking and wanting to bite everything, we thought he wanted to play, but he literally went around like crazy and his eyes widened and turned red, I investigated why I was worried and I found this thread. This would be normal? It seems that it has a lot of sugar and it seems that it no longer looked good. Right now it seems that gave him a deep sleep and I am afraid it is something else. What do you think?

• Nancy Wang
    2 years ago

As you can read from this thread, many of us have had a very bad experience with this product - and for some even worse - they lost their dog to this product. i suggest to be safe, stay away from Dream Bones. Watch to see if anything else is amiss with your dog. if he is fine and never has these symptoms again, you’ve saved his life by throwing the snack away. It’s criminal Dream Bones is still on the market. All the best to you both!

• HU-819458903
    2 years ago

Okay folks, lest we all forget, dogs dogs, like people are all different entities. i am lactose intolerant, but my best friend is not. so let’s use a bit of common sense and realize that our pets may or may not be allergic to certain things. they’re not all going to be able to tolerate the same treats, dog foods, or even training methods.

keeping our pets healthy and happy is the main goal. if you think your pet might not do well with this treat then simply don’t give it to them. it’s not rocket science.

• HU-33133551
    2 years ago

I agree but what we are warning people about is that this can cause more damage in some case than a mild case of upset stomach and even like in my dogs case death. My dog was 10 years old and had these treats off and on for years. One bad batch killed her by not digesting went into her intestines and tore it up as it moved thru. This tread is just a cautionary warning that this could happen

• HU-819458903
    2 years ago

You’re really over the top huh? it’s obvious that you can’t fathom having a normal thought. Murder? really? murder. Get some therapy, please.

• yetile
    2 years ago

Thanks HU-819458903. The thousands of us who've had pets murdered by this product over the last ten years are helped by you insulting us and telling us it's not rocket science. And super-great advice warning others who "might think their pet might not do well."

• HU-795803316
    2 years ago

FOUND THIS BAKED INTO DREAMBONES DUMBBELLS. IT IS PLASTIC. THIS COULD DEFINETLY CAUSE BE PROBLEMS. DO NOT BUY FROM THESE PEOPLE

• Cheryl Little
    2 years ago

There are different types of dream bones and I’m wondering if everyone is having problems with all of them. My dogs get the treats with peanut butter wrapped with chicken strips.

• HU-33133551
    2 years ago

would not buy any but the one you are talking about is the one that killed my dog

• HU-795803316
    2 years ago

Thank goodness I noticed it before I let my dog have it. I hope you sued them.

• HU-490458794
    2 years ago

So here I am back again after almost 2 years. I wrote back in Jan 2020 because my 5 month old cavapoo had a seizure after chewing a DreamBone. He recovered, and the vet said we should watch to see if he had any more. Nothing! He has been right as rain since then, and so probably it was the DreamBone that caused it. I suspect that the glycerin is chemically sourced and thus poisonous. Best to all, Edith Humphrey

• Sandy Wilson
    2 years ago

I've tried these twice and both times they made my dog sick.

• HU-33133551
    2 years ago

if you read the whole thread you will see many cases with issues and even in my case lost a pet because of these. The only reason we post our experiences is a warning to others of the things that can happen

• JOHN GAITHER
    2 years ago

I've been giving my 3 dogs one daily for over 2 years now with no adverse reactions. They are all over 60 pounds and energetic eaters. They love them and all I have to do is say "Chew treat" and they are all over me for one. I'm very sorry to hear of other dogs having issues with them. It's probably a situation of allergies to one or more of the ingredients.

• yetile
    2 years ago

@ John Gaither: You've been lucky you haven't gotten any poisonous batches. But it's worrisome that you'd make a comment when you clearly only read a handful of posts. Some people have reported finding METAL CONTAMINATION in DreamBones. (You have dogs NOT "allergic" to eating metal shards?) It is terrible that you've been warned and are risking the lives of your dogs. But even worse that you wouldn't even bother to read what people have said here before making stupid comments and guesses.

• HU-33133551
    2 years ago

john all i can say is i had 6 dogs that i gave them as treats for over 5 years because they loved them as well. But when your 10 year old dog gets a bad one and it moves thru her intestines and tears it up that in surgery she has to be put to sleep you would feel differently about putting the others at risk of it happening again. The hardest thing for me to deal with was having a happy healthy dog one day and a dying one the next over a treat that i gave her

• Stax
    2 years ago

John. You are not allowed to post positive comments about these treats here.

• yetile
    2 years ago

FYI: Rusty Knowles has been trolling this thread for a while. houzz has suspended several of his accounts, but he keeps making new ones to stir up trouble.

• Nancy Wang
    2 years ago

A mystery

• yetile
    2 years ago

FYI: Rusty Knowles has been trolling this thread for a while. houzz has suspended several of his accounts, but he keeps making new ones to stir up trouble.

Amazon's review system hasn't been honest for a while. They remove a lot of negative reviews and have stopped allowing follow-up comments. They sell a lot of dangerous products that explode, catch on fire, etc. and delete warnings about them too.

Even so, if you look through the Amazon comments, you can still find many instances of dogs poisoned and killed by DreamBones. Thousands of dogs have been murdered by Petmatrix/Spectrum products.

• HU-145451221
    2 years ago

My Collie, Blu, is almost 4 years old. We bought Dreambone for him. He just had a seizure today. Never had any health issues. He seems like he's back to normal but it's only been 12 hours. The DreamBones were disposed off.

• Nancy Wang
    2 years ago

Good for you getcrid of them. so many problems from this treat. shoukd not be on the market

• LL Kas
    2 years ago

I hope your Collie, Blu, is still seizure free. Please share your experience on social platforms and with friends and family about DreamBones to save other animals. We were one of the lucky ones to save our loved Keeshond, Henley, from poisoning by DreamBones. Thank you for sharing your experience.

• HU-490458794
    2 years ago

If you have the package still, take it out and photograph it for the SKU number. There are people on this thread that are pursuing a suit against Petmatrix, and it might be good evidence.

• HU-795803316
    2 years ago

Yes, they are dangerous. I found pieces of plastic in them. I put my comments on this link a few months ago. They need to pay restitution to all that have had their dogs hurt by their products.

• Nancy Wang
    2 years ago

I wonder if anyone has done that. sued them

• HU-973301320
    2 years ago

I have two small dogs they loved the peanut butter bones and the peanut butter twists now if they eat them they get sick and throw up all over. Not safe anymore!!!

• Jesse puckett
    last year

Great I've been giving my dog these for awhile now and she loves them ! She mainly just loves pulling the bacon off of the twists then she eats the bone later with less enthusiasm as the bacon lol . Ive not noticed any problems yet but I don't think I want to take the chance of having them . After seeing all these threads I'm done with dream bones , thanks for heads up! And to the hater get a life , shut up and eat yo dreambone !

• HU-33133551
    last year

i wish i had seen this before loosing my pet but what we hope is it is a warning to others that bad things can happen

• D Jax
    last year

It's weird to find this topic/thread on this site. There are similar posts all over the web on this topic. It would be more effective to post on one site to collect all the pet treat/food/death complaints.

I found this site...https://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/forums/topic/dreambone-treats/.

Side note, I had problem with grocery store treats for my cats. I stopped the treats and they healed right up.

• HU-33133551
    last year

i use to buy the peanut butter chews because they are suppose to be digestible better than rawhide but my dog was one that died because of it. When in surgery they saw it had not digested and left many holes in her intestines as it moved thru and caused internal bleeding that could not be repaired. Needless to say i no longer give my other dogs any chew treats

• Nancy Wang
    last year

So sorry to hear of the tragic deaths from these Dream Bones. Why hasn't this company been stopped?!!

• yetile
    last year

Diane, I think it’s weird that you’d come to a thread that’s
    been running for ten years and has hundreds of posts, tell people it’s the wrong
    place to comment, and then redirect people to some random site with four
    messages.

• Heather Corkery
    last year

I cant believe I am finding that there are so many people who have also experienced issues with their dogs after giving them dream bones!!!!

I have a 9 year old pit mix who is in great health, she has not experienced any digestive issues aside from maybe vomiting 2times EVER. we recently rescued a little Shih Tzu (5-6) years old. He was doing so great, eating well, no issues with potty, going for walks, keeping up with the big dog, playful and happy. i gave both dogs a dream bone each, not long after my pit wakes up frantic, whining we take her out she has terrible diarrhea the following day has the same issue. My little boy will not eat or drink, I took him to the Vet blood work was fine, they gave fluids. It dawns upon me that the thing they had in commonn was the dream bone! I look it up find this site, a class action suit was dissmissed in 2017, many complaints about these things. Tomorrow I will call the company and complain but what the hell?? does anyone know why this is allowed to continue!? I return the package to the store I purchased it from (Kroger Grocery) Huntsville, AL ALABAMA Itook photos of the bag front and back, the receipt and asked them to take them off the shelf. I am willing and able to participate in making sure that this does not continue my email is: corkery_heather@yahoo.com

• yetile
    last year

Hi Heather. This continues because the FDA is completely corrupt. They know Petmatrix / Spectrum products are poisonous and deadly, but they get kickbacks from the company, so they refuse to do anything. You probably need to get imaging of both of your dogs' stomachs and may need to have the DreamBone residue removed, or they could die.

• HU-33133551
    last year

heather i hope your pets are doing better. If they still wont eat i recommend getting an xray to see what is going on inside. When i had this done for sassy they could see something was going on. She went for surgery and unfortunetly the dreambone had done too much damage and we had to let her go. Lawsuit did not work so i just try to warn anybody that i can that this can happen to one of your pets as well

• yetile
    last year

A reporter is working on the DreamBones story. If you have any documentation from your vet regarding your dog's poisoning please email it to me at thbpack@gmail.com so we can get it to her for the story. Or if you can forward me your name and vet's contact information, that will be helpful too!

• Ninapearl
    last year

please keep the board updated as to when this story may come out! thanks!!

• Ana William
    last year

I was looking for opinions about this brand, luckily I read your comments, I hope that all the puppies thar were affected are better

• HU-33133551
    last year

glad to see someone sees the problems this product causes. That is why we post our bad experiences so that maybe it will save others. Unfortunately it killed my perfectly healthy dog of 10 years

• Dawn Henness
    10 months ago

I recently bought those dream bones thinking they were healthy. My little dachshund in the past few days had one a day because he loved them. And I thought no harm. But today his front legs don't seem to want to work. And the day before he acted like his stomach was hurting. Has anyone else had this happen? He seems comfortable otherwise he's just resting but he does not want to use his front legs. Just curious if anyone else have had these issues?

• yetile
    10 months ago

Hi Dawn Henness. Yes, DreamBones are poisonous and deadly. Petmatrix knows, and the FDA knows. Nobody but the people whose dogs were killed cares. Take him to the vet immediately to have his stomach pumped.

• HU-178398285
    5 months ago

I also had been giving dream bones mini chews to my dogs. About 4 months ago my 7lb Chiweenie started throwing up blood and bloody stool 30 minutes after giving him the treat. I immediately took him to the vet where he had to spend the night. $400 later he got to come home. I didn't realize it was the treat as the vet said sometimes dogs get a intestinal virus. 3 days ago my short legged jack russell started the same thing. I took him to the vet the next morning when I found all the blood. 3 days later he got to come home. $1100 this time. I threw away all the dream bones treats that I had and will never buy these again. My dogs loved them and ate them for a couple years but my vet said that it was the treat that caused this. He got severely dehydrated and his kidneys were in bad shape. His white blood cell count was off. He was in really bad shape within a few hours. I am going to email the company and send them copies of my vet bills. We trust people to make stuff for our babies and then they poison them. I will never buy this product again and I will do everything I can to make sure no one else does either.

• HU-793759159
    4 months ago

I actually just experienced this as well with my 3 year old pomeranian. the exact same thing happened to her!! she got her nightly snack before bed and came running oddly to my room while having spotted loose stool. she then went into a cluster of seizures. she vomited the dream bone and recovered back to herself shortly after. The next night same routine and same thing happened again. Took my dog to ER vet. They said to watch her and see if the treats were tainted. Third night NO DREAM BONE… NO SEIZURES…

• HU-33133551
    4 months ago

sorry to hear there are still problems with these treats. After killing my dog a few years ago i was hoping that something would be done. Needless to say i do not give any treats to my other dogs anymore. I guess the most we can do is post our bad experience but you dont usually see this until you are having a problem already

• Ang Gee
    4 months ago

I am also surprirsed there are no cautionary reviews or warnings about dreamstick treats for dogs. I started giving them to my dog and now he is addicted to them. he standa by the pantry where I keep the dreamsticks and and cried to get one. At first, I found it cute and now I am concerned. My dog begs to have the dreamsticks all the time and when he doesn't get it. he has withdrawal symptoms similar to a person with an addiction. becareful what you feed your dog.

• HU-33133551
    4 months ago

my dogs always loved them as well but when one has to go into emergency surgery and has to be put down because it tore up her intestines it was a hard lesson